E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tinted LED side markers that are worth a 5H1T?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 BMW 550i, jet black, blacked out grills, tinted led side lights, 19" M wheels
Smile

Okay, I've tried two different types of smoked/tinted LED side markers for my 2006 550i. Though not throwing any codes/error messages, they both sucked. They both fit terribly (slid back and forth and were loose against the fender) and they both flickered on and off for no reason when when car was started (particularly the passenger side)(which I would never have noticed had I not been standing outside the car when someone else got in and started it). So, the question is this; are there any smoked LED side markers out there that fit well and don't flicker on and off for no reason? I don't want to waste any more money on stuff that doesn't work right, throws codes, flickers, etc., etc., etc.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Waterfreak66' post='868501' date='May 5 2009, 07:08 AM
Okay, I've tried two different types of smoked/tinted LED side markers for my 2006 550i. Though not throwing any codes/error messages, they both sucked. They both fit terribly (slid back and forth and were loose against the fender) and they both flickered on and off for no reason when when car was started (particularly the passenger side)(which I would never have noticed had I not been standing outside the car when someone else got in and started it). So, the question is this; are there any smoked LED side markers out there that fit well and don't flicker on and off for no reason? I don't want to waste any more money on stuff that doesn't work right, throws codes, flickers, etc., etc., etc.
get a can of tint spray. tint your stock ones yourself, and then figure out how to put a led strip in for the bulb.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='868509' date='May 5 2009, 07:43 AM
get a can of tint spray. tint your stock ones yourself, and then figure out how to put a led strip in for the bulb.
Or don't even bother with the LED, just tint them.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

I replaced my bulbs with LEDs and have not had any error messages in the last couple of weeks. About $10 at Autozone, I'll let you know the brand later if I can find the box. There are 4 LEDs mounted on a small board and they flash amber. Only marginally dimmer than stock I think.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:56 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 BMW 550i, jet black, blacked out grills, tinted led side lights, 19" M wheels

Hmmm. That may work. Now about tinting, how would you seperate the lens from the body of the marker in order to tint on the inside of the lense? And do the leds flash for no reason when the car is started?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I have the smoked LED sidemarkers from trinity and they work good.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='868554' date='May 5 2009, 10:13 AM
I replaced my bulbs with LEDs and have not had any error messages in the last couple of weeks. About $10 at Autozone, I'll let you know the brand later if I can find the box. There are 4 LEDs mounted on a small board and they flash amber. Only marginally dimmer than stock I think.
I got the same setup in my side markers. During the day they are a TINY little bit dimmer, but at night they are really freaking bright.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Members

Do they fit as tightly up against the fender as the stock side marker lights? Do they flicker/turn on and off for no reason when the car is started? Do they throw any codes/error messages?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by Waterfreak66' post='868579' date='May 5 2009, 10:56 AM
Hmmm. That may work. Now about tinting, how would you seperate the lens from the body of the marker in order to tint on the inside of the lense? And do the leds flash for no reason when the car is started?
I haven't seen the LEDs flash the same way as the license plate lights yet. The flashing serves a purpose it's the car checking to see if the bulb works, you just can't see it on regular filament bulbs.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

The flashing you describe on startup is NORMAL, the car just checks the light to make sure it is still working (as stated before in this thread) as for brightness, LED's are directional, so it may not appear AS bright from some angles! Good luck with your dilemma and let us know what you end up with!

Quick Reply: Tinted LED side markers that are worth a 5H1T?