E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tint my E60?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question aobut the SHARKFIN on my E60..
Is that the radio reception?
Because I am about to tint this car..and I want to know
which tint should I use (metallic or non-metallic)
thank u~~~
Old 01-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Titanium Silver/Black, Sport, Premium, L7, Cold

Don't believe the shark fin is for AM/FM radio reception - it's for sat radio and the BMW integrated phone.

As for tinting, they make a new ceramic tint that's not suppose to interfere with radio signals, radar, GPS, etc. I just had it done and it looks great. Haven't noticed any degradation of in-car signal reception either.

http://www.formulaone.com/pinnacle.htm
Old 01-02-2005, 12:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Yes TINT TINT TINT! thats a must makes the car look a whole lot better.

I'm too debating on what kind of tint to use... the old school dye tint or the ceramic... I thought I was going to get the dye but then no matter what they say the dye still fades it seems

I wouldnt go with the metallic ones since the BMW Radio antenna is embedded in the rear windscreen.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Members

so, what I have to do when I go tint my car is..
make sure they use ceramic or non-metallic tint? (which one is better?)
Old 01-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by m4_rulz' date='Jan 2 2005, 01:53 PM
so, what I have to do when I go tint my car is..
make sure they use ceramic or non-metallic tint?? (which one is better?)
[snapback]74740[/snapback]
Ceramic is best but it costs about twice as much... I'm debating myself too... anyone has other recommendations?
Old 01-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by m4_rulz' date='Jan 2 2005, 10:01 PM
I have a question aobut the SHARKFIN on my E60..
Is that the radio reception?
[snapback]74726[/snapback]
AFAIK the radio is in the shark fin too.
The aerial in the rear window is the TV, AFAIK.
There are four aerials in the shark fin...
Old 01-02-2005, 01:41 PM

my car is leased, i put the cheap tint in and I dont have any problems whatsoever. 35% all around and it looks great. this is the lightest tint I ahev ever done.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jan 2 2005, 02:22 PM
AFAIK the radio is in the shark fin too.
The aerial in the rear window is the TV, AFAIK.
There are four aerials in the shark fin...
[snapback]74763[/snapback]
Really?? Is that true? If so then we dont have to worry about metallic tints interferring with the radio reception.

Shark Fin is Radio too?? I know previous BMWs use to have the radio antenna in the rear windscreen and even my sales guy said its in the rear windscreen... but sales man are the last people I believe.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Members

My Ride: (Expecting Oct. 2004) 2005 530i Sport package, premium sound package,premium package, xenon's, HUD, sat radio, cold weather package, navagation

I used a Polyester tint which is non matalic It looks great ans was very inexpensive and do not notice any difference in reception
Old 01-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Non-metallic tint films are generally known for fading over the lifetime. This is because the tint color comes from dyes which are broken down by ultraviolet light over time.

Ceramic and Metallic films are of higher quality, for the most part. They do not rely on such dyes which can break-down.

That being said, window tint will not affect your radio or navigation reception on an E60. So get high-quality tint.

Window tint can block some types of waves, but only when the antenna you are trying to use is inside the car. For example, in my last car I installed an after-market stereo system with navigation. The navigation GPS antenna was installed on my front dashboard, near the windshield wipers. It was inside the car, however. Then I got my front windshield tinted completely, and all of a sudden my GPS couldn't work. This was because the tint film was blocking the GPS signal from getting inside the car.

The antenna you speak of which is printed in the rear window glass.... when you install tint film, the tint will be on the inside of the car. So the antenna will be outside of the tint, and will not be affected.

Quick Reply: Tint my E60?