E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

To those who've opened their headlights to install Umnitza's A

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

Alrighty.. So, I'm planning on making the Angel Eye upgrade on my pre-lci 525xi.

I'm looking at this page... And it's a huge list of them. It's rather confusing which ones... Though from reading, I'm pretty sure it's one of these:The pages look almost exactly the same.. except for the $100-ish difference. What's different between them?

Some pointers on that part might be of help

But the real question for this thread is...

I was reading the DIY-guide for the Orion Angel Eyes. I know that you do have to.. forcefully open up the headlights in order to install the rings. The guide on Umnitza's site suggests cutting the plastic using a soldering iron. The hell??

I've used soldering irons on plastic before.. Mostly just for fun to kill whatever device it is. Not clean, lots of fumes, etc.

Surely there's a better way of getting at the inside of the headlights, is there not? I can't see why a nice precision Dremel tool wouldn't do the job 1000x better.

To those who've put these in: What'd you use to open up your headlights?
Old 07-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I do not recommend using a soldering iron, it was a pain in the butt to do. I think there is a better method of just using a dremel with a cutting bit, I'll defer to someone else on that one. The fumes effed me up when I was cutting, it probably wasn't too good for me, but the mask I had wasn't effective. It is worth it though once you install it, biggest thing was make SURE you seal it correctly. It cost me alot of money because I did not put the top seal back on, and realized it a couple months later. Which resulted in 3 busted ballast I had to buy for my HID because water leaked in.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

+1 on this...I just ordered mine too and am currently getting my gameplan together on this...

I was thinking dremel tool as well, but I'm open to suggestions/established best practices.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i 19" MRR GT1 Interior LED retrofit

Do not use a soldering iron. The "cut" will look like crap and be difficult to re-seal. I dremel with a small cutting wheel will yield better (slightly) results. In essence, even though the dremel looks like a "cutting" tool, the cutting wheel will essentially melt the plastic due to the high rotating speed. A buddy of mine that does headlight mods swears by the http://www.harborfreight.com/multifu...ool-67256.html.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

PM member Nomis Nehc he should be able to give you some pointers. He pretty knowledgeable on this subject.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by Ricapar
Alrighty.. So, I'm planning on making the Angel Eye upgrade on my pre-lci 525xi.

I'm looking at this page... And it's a huge list of them. It's rather confusing which ones... Though from reading, I'm pretty sure it's one of these:The pages look almost exactly the same.. except for the $100-ish difference. What's different between them?

Some pointers on that part might be of help

But the real question for this thread is...

I was reading the DIY-guide for the Orion Angel Eyes. I know that you do have to.. forcefully open up the headlights in order to install the rings. The guide on Umnitza's site suggests cutting the plastic using a soldering iron. The hell??

I've used soldering irons on plastic before.. Mostly just for fun to kill whatever device it is. Not clean, lots of fumes, etc.

Surely there's a better way of getting at the inside of the headlights, is there not? I can't see why a nice precision Dremel tool wouldn't do the job 1000x better.

To those who've put these in: What'd you use to open up your headlights?
The difference is the top link isn't for E60.

Originally Posted by tex_phil
I do not recommend using a soldering iron, it was a pain in the butt to do. I think there is a better method of just using a dremel with a cutting bit, I'll defer to someone else on that one. The fumes effed me up when I was cutting, it probably wasn't too good for me, but the mask I had wasn't effective. It is worth it though once you install it, biggest thing was make SURE you seal it correctly. It cost me alot of money because I did not put the top seal back on, and realized it a couple months later. Which resulted in 3 busted ballast I had to buy for my HID because water leaked in.
Actually, though soldering iron takes longer, fumes will kill you, and does cause a mess, if you use cutters and pliers to clean up the melted parts, it can be sealed effectively. Obviously it's a bit more work, but I have done it twice before moving to other method.

Originally Posted by HiOffcr
Do not use a soldering iron. The "cut" will look like crap and be difficult to re-seal. I dremel with a small cutting wheel will yield better (slightly) results. In essence, even though the dremel looks like a "cutting" tool, the cutting wheel will essentially melt the plastic due to the high rotating speed. A buddy of mine that does headlight mods swears by the http://www.harborfreight.com/multifu...ool-67256.html.
Yes, oscillating tool is suggested and my current practice. And you are right about the plastic will STILL melt some due to the rotary speed. There potentially is a optimal speed, but it's not a big deal since clean up us always necessary anyhow.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Senior Members

nomis_nehc - thanks for all your details!

I'll probably head over to Home Depot and rent me a high-end dremel for the day (or find a friend with one). Soldering Iron seems barbaric.

Placing the order for the Orion's now

But lastly... Any other suggestions/tips/words of wisdom for installing these?
Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

My Orions came in the mail today....

ive thought long and hard about my gameplan, i am going to mix two things.... Ehssan's black-out method combined with a little F10 OEM flair...

take a look at the inspiration that i found at the dealership today.
Attached Thumbnails To those who've opened their headlights to install Umnitza's A-photo-14-.jpg   To those who've opened their headlights to install Umnitza's A-photo-15-.jpg  
Old 07-19-2011, 12:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricapar
nomis_nehc - thanks for all your details!

I'll probably head over to Home Depot and rent me a high-end dremel for the day (or find a friend with one). Soldering Iron seems barbaric.

Placing the order for the Orion's now

But lastly... Any other suggestions/tips/words of wisdom for installing these?

I have no tip to give you since I still have no guts to do this mod yet but do consider applying the Euro sticker on the inside since you already have the light opened. It looks so much cleaner.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by umichchris
My Orions came in the mail today....
ive thought long and hard about my gameplan, i am going to mix two things.... Ehssan's black-out method combined with a little F10 OEM flair...
take a look at the inspiration that i found at the dealership today.
Goddamn the F10's headlights look sexy.
If you don't mind me asking... What are you going to be doing as far as "a little F10 OEM flair"? I'm very curious - might even wait until you do yours before I crack mine open

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
I have no tip to give you since I still have no guts to do this mod yet but do consider applying the Euro sticker on the inside since you already have the light opened. It looks so much cleaner.
I was hoping to get some.. This thread, right? https://5series.net/forums/topic/522...ers-group-buy/
I don't think he's making them anymore. Any other ways of going about acquiring those?

Quick Reply: To those who've opened their headlights to install Umnitza's A