E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

For those that replaced stock L7 subwoofers with Earthquakes SWS-8s.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M
Default For those that replaced stock L7 subwoofers with Earthquakes SWS-8s.

Hi Everyone,

For those that have replaced their stock Logic7 subwoofers with the Earthquakes SWS-8Xi subs, do you leave the OEM cover off to provide clearance for the subs' movement? I put mine back on and do hear some vibration/rattling sound at high volume and can't tell if it's because the subs are hitting the cover or not.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Metallic Green 535i,Dakota Brown leather,NAV,HD Radio, Comfort Access,Sport pkg,Premium Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Logic7,Park Distance, SAT/Paddles, Ipod adapter, tint, LED Side markers, & halos, heated fronts,CPO'd car, tinted tails, heads, reflectors, backup camera, afe cold air intake, led license plate lights, rear lip spoiler, recoded modules: remote folding of mirrors, deleted accept screen on idrive, auto unlocking of door when ignition turned off, closing windows, & sunroof w/ remote, digital speedo on instrument cluster.

I don't know if that's causing your rattling. I swapped out my subs about 2 yrs. ago, but I made spacers out of 3/4" thick styrofoam. I also cut out those fins at the bottom of the sub enclosure box so the sub would have sufficient travel for the voice coil. I was able to put my grills back on with no vibration issues. Maybe take off your bolts, lift the seats & crank it to see what's causing the vibration.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Mikey B-mer
I don't know if that's causing your rattling. I swapped out my subs about 2 yrs. ago, but I made spacers out of 3/4" thick styrofoam. I also cut out those fins at the bottom of the sub enclosure box so the sub would have sufficient travel for the voice coil. I was able to put my grills back on with no vibration issues. Maybe take off your bolts, lift the seats & crank it to see what's causing the vibration.
Thanks for the reply Mikey. A member on M5Board mentioned the same thing and referenced a thread on E90post I think. Since these were supposed to be straight drop-ins, I didn't notice the fins underneath. Also, there's only a few milimiters of space from the OEM cover to my seat rails so I don't see how I can fit any spacers in there.

I'll remove the seats and check out the movement of the subs but figured I'd see if anyone here knows for sure before I take it apart again.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Metallic Green 535i,Dakota Brown leather,NAV,HD Radio, Comfort Access,Sport pkg,Premium Pkg,Cold Weather pkg,Logic7,Park Distance, SAT/Paddles, Ipod adapter, tint, LED Side markers, & halos, heated fronts,CPO'd car, tinted tails, heads, reflectors, backup camera, afe cold air intake, led license plate lights, rear lip spoiler, recoded modules: remote folding of mirrors, deleted accept screen on idrive, auto unlocking of door when ignition turned off, closing windows, & sunroof w/ remote, digital speedo on instrument cluster.

Gotcha. That's why I opted for styrofoam. It compresses, & in my case, everything went back together like the oem woofers did. Hope it works out, cause the earthquakes are a nice upgrade.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Members

My Ride: Silver 550i: Orion V2 - LCI Tail Lights - VRM 710 (Powder Coated Matt Black) - Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust - Painted Brake Calipers (Red) - Painted Rear MTEC Kit (Black) - Window Tint (Windshield 70% - All other Windows 55% - Smoked Side Markers
Model Year: 2007

does the factory amp power the sub's?
Old 09-04-2013, 06:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TU2TLE
does the factory amp power the sub's?
No. I patched in a HiFonics Zeus 500W amp using the plug n play harness sold by member Technic here to drive the subs.