E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

thinking of buying an m-tech front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 03:40 PM
e6t
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i called the local dealer today to ask about pricing of the parts and installation and they acted as though i was the only person in the history of the world to want to replace the front bumper of my car.

they told me that they had to research the part list to make sure that they had everything together before they could give me a price and before they could advise the service department as to how detailed the installation would be.

is this a normal experience? also, i was under the impression that bmw sold the bumper specifically for people like me and had all the mounts and accessories needed available as a bundle.

i also asked them if they would install a non-bmw bumper and they said that there may be warranty issues and that i would have to talk to my SA. I didnt have the time today to talk to the SA, but I will call him tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2012 550i Space Gray M Sport

The dealer will kill you when it comes to stuff like that. Adding the m-tech bumper will make you love your BMW that much more. PM Nerweezy about ordering a bumper. He will hook you up easy and then start looking around for a reputable body shop that can do the install and paint job for you. You don't need the dealer or the premiums they will try to charge you. Good luck and get ready to show the pics.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Find another dealer. Your current dealer has a bunch of idiots working there.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

OP: post your location so a member local to you can recc a shop and/or dealership...the one you have listed is a it vague

The dealer you went to has obviously never dealt with an M tech kit order, thats a big red flag when they said they would have to do research, I'd try another dealership.

Most dealerships can't beat Gary Romani's price for an unpainted m tech kit tho (including all mounting brackets and parts). He gives 25% and no state tax to 5series.net members...

here's his info: https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18067

since your car is an LCI it will be a bit more expensive do to some extra bracing parts needed, but the price is not that much more than a pre-lci kit

you caneven try contacting Trinity Autosport or EuroRev to check their prices painted and shipped as well
Old 08-20-2009, 04:03 PM
e6t
Senior Members

ive talked to trinity and they gave me an awesome price on the bumper... bu i think i like the m-tech bumper better than the m5 rep. im not interested in the skirts and rear, i just think the front of the car needs to be a little more aggressive. im afraid that if i went with the m5 front, i'd end up wanting to go all the way.

i feel compelled to have the bumper painted in town, simply in case there is an issue with paint. i will call garry tomorrow, but i suspect that most of the savings would be eaten by shipping.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by e6t' post='984009' date='Aug 20 2009, 05:03 PM
ive talked to trinity and they gave me an awesome price on the bumper... bu i think i like the m-tech bumper better than the m5 rep. im not interested in the skirts and rear, i just think the front of the car needs to be a little more aggressive. im afraid that if i went with the m5 front, i'd end up wanting to go all the way.

i feel compelled to have the bumper painted in town, simply in case there is an issue with paint. i will call garry tomorrow, but i suspect that most of the savings would be eaten by shipping.
did you price check trinity for just the OEM M tech front bumper or just the rep bumper they are selling...at some point you may want to ask for a local paint shop recc from forum members either in this thread or a separate thread (as I referred to earlier when i asked you to post your loc before).

Regarding shipping, if you are on the west coast...perhaps you can try Frank @ Motorwerks BMW in MN (Gary is in RI)

so shipping might be better from Frank...he offers the same discount to 5series.net members

https://5series.net/forums/index.php...opic=77108&hl=
Old 08-20-2009, 04:15 PM
e6t
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='984012' date='Aug 20 2009, 07:08 PM
did you price check trinity for just the OEM M tech front bumper or just the rep bumper they are selling...at some point you may want to ask for a local paint shop recc from forum members either in this thread or a separate thread (as I referred to earlier when i asked you to post your loc before)

hmmm... to be honest, im not sure which. i assumed it was the rep because i didnt know they had the oem m-tech. most everything i remember seeing when i search shows the rep.

i think that i have found a decent body shop... i have talked to the one the dealer uses on a few occasions and they seem to know what they are doing. i would vet them thoroughly, of course, before they touch my car.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by e6t' post='984016' date='Aug 20 2009, 05:15 PM
hmmm... to be honest, im not sure which. i assumed it was the rep because i didnt know they had the oem m-tech. most everything i remember seeing when i search shows the rep.

i think that i have found a decent body shop... i have talked to the one the dealer uses on a few occasions and they seem to know what they are doing. i would vet them thoroughly, of course, before they touch my car.
trinity and eurorev both sell OEM m tech kits..just not advertised as heavily...
Old 08-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Originally Posted by e6t' post='984009' date='Aug 20 2009, 07:03 PM

Once you get the front bumper, you're going to want to get the rear and side too!