E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

is there any way i can play mp3 in my 2004 545i

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:10 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i sport
Default is there any way i can play mp3 in my 2004 545i

hi im pretty new to this forum and just picked up my 2004 545i sport a couple weeks ago i love the car and everything but i was wondering if there is anyway i can play mp3s in my cd or dvd slot. Thank you
Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Welcome to the forum, yes, there is a way to play MP3's in the CD slot (DVD is used for NAV only in pre-CIC cars). It just needs to be enabled through coding, which would also allow you to add anAUX input to connect your iPod or cell phone as well. The AUX input needs an OEM cable ($60) and installation (also $60)
Old 01-18-2013, 06:28 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 525i (My first bmw)

Originally Posted by pjinca
Welcome to the forum, yes, there is a way to play MP3's in the CD slot (DVD is used for NAV only in pre-CIC cars). It just needs to be enabled through coding, which would also allow you to add anAUX input to connect your iPod or cell phone as well. The AUX input needs an OEM cable ($60) and installation (also $60)
Is there any old posts that go over enabling the mp3 function? I have tried doing a search : mp3 mod, mp3 coding and I get 0 results. I asked someone about it once and they said it was like a couple hundred lines of code??? I was sure it was more like making a change to "aktiv" to enable it? Am I missing something?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Edziuman
Is there any old posts that go over enabling the mp3 function? I have tried doing a search : mp3 mod, mp3 coding and I get 0 results. I asked someone about it once and they said it was like a couple hundred lines of code??? I was sure it was more like making a change to "aktiv" to enable it? Am I missing something?
Correct, it is NOT "a couple of hundred lines of code", it is simply an enable thing. When they did mine it took about 3 mins to code. Sorry, I can't help you with what to code since I didn't do the coding.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

So if I'm understanding this correctly, pre LCI cars can play mp3 via aux. in as long as
-aux cable is installed
-coding to enable the aux cable?

If this is correct, would it be an expensive task to have the local BMW dealership code it for you?
Old 01-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bill109
So if I'm understanding this correctly, pre LCI cars can play mp3 via aux. in as long as
-aux cable is installed
-coding to enable the aux cable?

If this is correct, would it be an expensive task to have the local BMW dealership code it for you?
Not quite, the coding that is required when you add the AUX input cable ALSO enables MP3 playback. You don't have to have the AUX cable for MP3 playback in the CD player, but the coding enables both.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Not quite, the coding that is required when you add the AUX input cable ALSO enables MP3 playback. You don't have to have the AUX cable for MP3 playback in the CD player, but the coding enables both.
What if you have an iPod cable in lieu of the AUX cable?
Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

Originally Posted by westsidebalto
What if you have an iPod cable in lieu of the AUX cable?

only way for it to work is if that ipod cable is 30pin to 3.5 jack. which is what i use, but mine also has usb for charging. works better than using headphone jack and charges the phone also. i also have the 30pin to 8pin lightning cable for my iphone 5 and works excellent. have to use the original adapter though from Apple, as from bad experiences, the adapters you find on ebay dont do audio output. but you should only worry about this if your using a iphone 5 or the newest ipad/itouch
Old 01-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

without an aux input, how else would you play an mps? pre lci cars come with a usb port?
i know my car sure doesn't.. also doesnt have a cd changer.. wth.
So this is assuming you have a usb port to play mp3 if the aux input is not installed? maybe im missing something, "playing mp3 via cd player" has me lost.

- after reading your post again, if a aux input is installed and coding is done correctly, you should have a fully functioning auxilary port..

Last edited by Bill109; 01-19-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:10 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Bill109
without an aux input, how else would you play an mps? pre lci cars come with a usb port?
i know my car sure doesn't.. also doesnt have a cd changer.. wth.
So this is assuming you have a usb port to play mp3 if the aux input is not installed? maybe im missing something, "playing mp3 via cd player" has me lost.

- after reading your post again, if a aux input is installed and coding is done correctly, you should have a fully functioning auxilary port..
OP wants to be able to play MP3 from his/her CD drive in the dash. Pre LCI cars can be re-programmed (or more correctly their firmware updated) to enable this functionality. If there is a DVD drive for Sat Nav, that can be enabled too for MP3 playback. The CD Changer however does not have MP3 reading capabilities, so it wont be able to read MP3.

Aux and USB ports are a separate and independent feature. In other words, one can have MP3 capable CD+DVD drive and AUX port in one car, if they wished.

Quick Reply: is there any way i can play mp3 in my 2004 545i