E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

tension strut / control arm bushes

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know these bushes are known to go soft or fail on other BMW's, are they an ussue with e60's or has anyone had probs with them, as there doesnt seem to be much said about them.
I seem to be getting more feedback thru the chassis/steering wheel than usual, and wondered if it could be the tension strut bushes going soft, ive had a looksy and they certainly look ok.
Cars mileage is well over 100k miles and they are the original bushes.
Dont have any judder under braking.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545/SMG Sport Package HUD Logic 7 Bluetooth NAV Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='929339' date='Jul 1 2009, 05:40 AM
I know these bushes are known to go soft or fail on other BMW's, are they an ussue with e60's or has anyone had probs with them, as there doesnt seem to be much said about them.
I seem to be getting more feedback thru the chassis/steering wheel than usual, and wondered if it could be the tension strut bushes going soft, ive had a looksy and they certainly look ok.
Cars mileage is well over 100k miles and they are the original bushes.
Dont have any judder under braking.

Check you tie rods. It is the linkage that connects through the bottom of the control arm
Old 07-01-2009, 11:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

I replaced my control arms at 60K> I can't tell if you need that but just have it inspected.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Members

looks like i'll have to get the wheels off for a closer inspection.

Although felt fine this morning, like nothing is wrong.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Nav

I just had my car serviced and its currently at 50k. My SA told me that my tension struts are getting loose and will need to be replaced soon. He also told me that this is a very common problem with the E60 as well as other models. They usually dont last much past 60-70k. He also told me he has seen sooner. My 2000 E46 had the same issue at only 45K miles. An easy way to tell if they are going bad is tap the break slightly hard while driving or even just creeping along slowly and then release it. You should feel like a little popping, almost like as if the entire front end is moving. That is how you can easily tell with out lifting the car up or taking off the tires. Also I was quoted about $1100 dollars to replace these by the dealer and unfortuantely they are not covered under CPO warranty. You would think if this has been an issue for so long they would put some R&D into them and make them stronger. The most unfortunate part about this entire situation is that you have to replace the entire lower control arm when they go out. The E39's you were able to just change the bushings out when they went bad. Search around on the internet, I have seen them cheaper than the dealer at a few different sites.

Good luck, I hope that helped.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Members

interesting, have called for prices and there is no stock in the UK or Germany of these parts for e60's, 4 to 6 weeks lead time and they say not a known prob with e60's.
For new tension and control arms complete ready to fit with discount coming in at around ?600.
Think i need to be sure they are needed 1st
Old 07-15-2009, 02:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='930369' date='Jul 2 2009, 10:05 AM
interesting, have called for prices and there is no stock in the UK or Germany of these parts for e60's, 4 to 6 weeks lead time and they say not a known prob with e60's.
For new tension and control arms complete ready to fit with discount coming in at around ?600.
Think i need to be sure they are needed 1st
New genuine tension struts have arrived.
tension strut / control arm bushes-tension_strut_arms.jpg

There a fraction of the cost non genuine but thought it best to fit genuine.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:41 AM
Members

jobs done, not as straight forward as it 1st appeared with various things being in the way so took about 4 hours.

tension strut / control arm bushes-tension_strut_arms_001.jpg

the rubber does seem softer on the old one and you can see a gap between the metal bush inner and the rubber at the front, that gap isnt there on the new one, so either wear has created the gap or has been redesigned.
They do seem to have done the job and the suspension feels taught again with the feedback thru the steering youd expect.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

Replaced mine at 60K. It was amazing how much more responsive the car was after the new one were on....so the SA actually wasnt full of complete BS when he said I needed a new pair.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Grey

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='943811' date='Jul 16 2009, 08:41 AM
jobs done, not as straight forward as it 1st appeared with various things being in the way so took about 4 hours.

Attachment 84333

the rubber does seem softer on the old one and you can see a gap between the metal bush inner and the rubber at the front, that gap isnt there on the new one, so either wear has created the gap or has been redesigned.
They do seem to have done the job and the suspension feels taught again with the feedback thru the steering youd expect.
When you had the old/defective control arm, did the car feel bumpy when going over bumps or over a raised lip at the front of a driveway, and with a knocking coming through the steeriing wheel or as if the steering components are loose?

Quick Reply: tension strut / control arm bushes