E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

TA Technix and other cheaper brand coilovers (JOM etc)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 02:55 AM
wtf
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530i Daily Porsche 986S Convertible Weekend

OK, I am not sure if this is a taboo subject on here, as I keyword searched these brand names and found little recent information on them.

First off, I'm not a cheapskate, but I have actually been struggling to find a lot of information on the cheaper coilovers. Most reviews actually seem to speak fairly high of them.

My only reason for considering them on my E60 (530i), is that I was only originally in the market for H&R springs, but stumbled on JOM and TA TEchnix (which were around the same price as H&R springs alone). I know typically you get what you pay for, but I wouldnt mind asking you guys opinions first. I figure that a shock/spring replacement, even a cheap one is surely going to be better than a 100,000km old stock suspension system.

I actually ended up buying JOM coilovers from 'veedubmachine.co.uk', but a week after paying for them, after firing emails to them they decided to tell me they were actually out of stock and bad luck, refunded my $, which kind of annoyed me. So now I am back looking again.

Price of them is around $600 USD delivered to Australia (for either brand). I would consider other brands but once it gets much over $1k, I start looking at plain springs again. I tried to find a supplier for Ksport, but Acute Performance only appears to stock KW coilovers now, which are well more than I want to spend.

My target here is to retain most of the comfort of the stock suspension as its a daily driver (I drive a Porsche with Gemballa coilovers for the weekends, so I already have a low/harsh riding car, the bmw is my daily). My only other requirement is to drop it down an inch or two to get a little tire tucking into the guards. Im not exactly how low I want it as I dont want another impractical car (the Porsche is a PAIN to get in and out of my driveway as it is, I dont want to kill my daily as well, else I'll have to go back to the Camry ). This is not a race car and nor do I intend to do much in the way of spirited mountain driving, as I said I have other cars for that. Its more for the look/comfort, and obviously needs to maintain a level of safety.

If anyone has any experience with the cheaper coilovers, any feedback would be appreciated. I dont mind spending a bit more, but the $2k+ sets is out of range of what I want to spend on this car for suspension.

Hopefully I dont get too much flamage for trying to cut corners on my 'prestige' car

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

I actually do have the KSports. How come you thought I only had KW?

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by wtf
I tried to find a supplier for Ksport, but Acute Performance only appears to stock KW coilovers now, which are well more than I want to spend.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

Few friends run AP coilies on they're audi's and bm's... made by kw, ride is good, bit harsh and choppy, but they are all running on the last threads! for the price they're great
Old 10-30-2011, 05:01 PM
wtf
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i Daily Porsche 986S Convertible Weekend

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
I actually do have the KSports. How come you thought I only had KW?

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance

Hey Michael,

I thought this because when I visited your site, and clicked suspension, KW was the only brand in the next menu!

Got your email today regarding price and shipping. I will hit you back soon

Kadafi - do you know supplier/price of the AP's?

Mark
Old 10-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Ahh yes I wouldn't be surprised if I've lost many customers that way. I don't list everything I carry because htere's too much.