E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Switching runflats with non-flats

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i - Titanium Grey/Grey/SMG/Nav/sports pack/premium pack/sirius prep

Originally Posted by dsms' date='Dec 22 2004, 12:14 PM
Has anyone changed out their runflats for non-runlats while keeping the OEM 18" wheels? If so, what tire did you choose?
[snapback]71506[/snapback]
I just put on Michelin Alpins on my 530 sport. The ride is better and the steering wheel feedback is less harsh. Handling seems just a small notch mushier, but still great. Overall it was a positive change, especially since we are getting winter weather here. I think my particular Alpin has been discontinued though.

A funny related note - I buy my tires from tirerack.com and have a local mechanic install and balance them for $15.00(US) per tire. They were not prepared to remove the runflats. It took 3 guys almost four hours to pry them off.

The wheels look undamaged and despite the massive effort it took they still only charged me $15.00 per wheel.

They did however ask not to come back in the spring to reinstall the runflat summers.

I'm thinking about selling them on eBay. They only have 7919 miles on them.

Nick
Old 12-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by dsms' date='Dec 22 2004, 11:14 AM
Has anyone changed out their runflats for non-runlats while keeping the OEM 18" wheels? If so, what tire did you choose?
Welcome to the best BMW Board on the internet! You will fit in well. This is a great group of enthusiasts who are here to share information. We do not have mindless debates about the sky falling.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

I'm changing mine to Bridgestone Potenza S-03 next week. I heard many good comments about that tires. I'll update more on the ride when it's installed on my car.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Dec 22 2004, 06:48 PM
This would not work for me with staggered wheels, but if all of yours are the same size, you may be able to do it. Keep us posted or maybe there is someone out there who has done it.
[snapback]71639[/snapback]
My E39 had staggered wheels, and they just used a front sized wheel as the spare. It's better than a donut, certainly. I'll see if I can give it a shot over the holiday.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:39 AM
Members

Changed out the runflats to Michelin Pilot PS2, runs quietly and smoothly, highly recommended.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by dsms' date='Dec 22 2004, 01:14 PM

I went with the 245/40/18 TOYO Proxes 4, and they are doing great!

Presley348
Old 12-28-2004, 03:13 PM
Senior Members

My Bridgestone runflats have 5k miles and are doing okay for now.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nickferr' date='Dec 22 2004, 07:32 PM
[quote name='dsms' date='Dec 22 2004, 12:14 PM']Has anyone changed out their runflats for non-runlats while keeping the OEM 18" wheels? If so, what tire did you choose?
I just put on Michelin Alpins on my 530 sport. The ride is better and the steering wheel feedback is less harsh. Handling seems just a small notch mushier, but still great. Overall it was a positive change, especially since we are getting winter weather here. I think my particular Alpin has been discontinued though.

A funny related note - I buy my tires from tirerack.com and have a local mechanic install and balance them for $15.00(US) per tire. They were not prepared to remove the runflats. It took 3 guys almost four hours to pry them off.

The wheels look undamaged and despite the massive effort it took they still only charged me $15.00 per wheel.

They did however ask not to come back in the spring to reinstall the runflat summers.

I'm thinking about selling them on eBay. They only have 7919 miles on them.

Nick
[snapback]71659[/snapback]
[/quote]

Regarding your post, I was speaking with the manager of one of the Wheel Works in the Bay Area, inquiring as to whether he had a lot of folks asking to replace their run-flats. He didn't know of any that had changed beause they were disappointed in the factory setup, but he did make an interesting comment that his shop was "runflat certified", so I guess they have to have special training and/or special equipment for addressing runflats specifically. Just a note to others who may be shopping for replacements. Probably shouldn't be a problem with any of the major chains, but the Ma and Pa's could have some of the problems you described.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:42 AM
stu
Members

Thumbs up

Hi Stormace, I wonder if you could answer a question?...
I have the DSST runflats on my 18 inch 124 wheels. Pretty much the only affordable replacement in the UK is Michelin PS2 since Costco sell and fit for an amazing price.
However ; the Dunlops "protect " the expensive 124 style rims with a nice thick strong type of bead. This makes it almost impossible to "kerb " your wheels,
It's very useful!. Can you state whetehr the Michelin PS or any other tyre offers a sinmilar protection?
Thanks!
Old 12-29-2004, 05:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles

Originally Posted by stu' date='Dec 29 2004, 05:42 AM
Hi Stormace, I wonder if you could answer a question?...
I have the DSST runflats on my? 18 inch 124 wheels. Pretty much the only affordable replacement in the UK is Michelin PS2 since Costco sell and fit for an amazing price.
However ; the Dunlops "protect " the expensive 124 style rims with a nice thick strong type of bead. This makes it almost impossible to "kerb " your wheels,
It's very useful!. Can you state whetehr the Michelin PS or any other tyre offers a sinmilar protection?
Thanks!
[snapback]73318[/snapback]

FYI: I noticed my TOYO Proxes 4's have the same protective bead on them also, to protect the wheel from the curb.

Presley 348

Quick Reply: Switching runflats with non-flats