E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sweet free airbox mod!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys I was playing around with the idea of a custom airbox or a fabbed cover for the AFE or possibly using the cone filter in the OEM box-well after opening it up tonight I realized cone will not work-the air outlet is way on one side and would need to add a bended pipe which would really screw flow up so that aint happening.

However when i got in there WOW-a ton of sound deadening and subsequently non-direct flow paths in there. for one there is all the waffle baffling-I had wide adhesive tape with me that was thick and I taped off the entire airbox making a completely flat smooth surface on all sides.

There are two prominent parts of the box near the inlet air hole and outlet that there is this ginormous cavity beside the air hole and a TON of excess space--it makes for such a non direct path.

I basically decreases the size of the interior by blocking off these paths and taping off everything so it was all flat and all non direct paths were blocked off-making it so the air came in the hole-had a direct path into the flat filter and then above the filter all the unncessary extra cavities are filled and it is a smaller, narrower path to the outlet.

WOW-sound was great! I would say about 60 percent of an AFE intake but a noticable kick in sound which that is what I am doing this all for so I am pretty pleased but also a NICE gain in throttle pick up even with the BMc powerbox I have. Power is never something I can tell but was a clear noticable benefit that when I stomped the pedal-the car went intsantly-which makes sense. I have the rpi scoop and if the box is bein gpressurized and I decreased the size of the box (lower volume but same air flow) the interior pressure probably is a tad higher and the route of air is way more direct so not all the "bouncing of the baffles" happens so the flow is probably faster and direct. Again with less volume in the box, the air will flow with more velocity.

I am now going to do a better job with more quality alumnium tape and insulation to insulate the entire box from within and then put flat tape to cover it all nicely.

easy, cheap and as good of a gain as any mod I have put on my car!
Old 08-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

WOW impressive!

A little afterthought: if you used heat-resistant materials, you'd also decrease the air temp in the intake, which would also add power

BTW do you think that increasing air pressure may somehow start messing the sensors and eventually lead to error codes/safe modes/failing hardware?
Old 08-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Banned

Thanks man that was my thought by insulating could reduce temps-however I dont want to insulate and deaden sound either-Ill probably use just sturdy thick shield tape that is not sound deadening but reflects heat--and is alot less pliable than normal tape-The key is putting the sheets over the waffle holes in a taut manner thus creating a smooth surface--you dont want tape to be shoved into each hole.

And as far as codes-I really dont think this is changing pressure that much-the MAF is used to adjust based on air flow so if there is a bit more flow I am thinking that is normal and wont throw a code.

I figure its a good mod if you have the bms box because the bms signifigantly richens the mixture and so if you can boost airflow by doing this, there will also be signifigantly more fuel to mix in by the richening mix--more than normally would be compensated by the stock tune which runs quite lean as it is and probably wouldnt add that much more fuel.

I like it for the sound-but I also am one to really squeeze the most out of this engine as you can-Something about this engine just does it for me andhaving the RPI exhaust, scoop and bms tune really squeezes every ounce of performance-makes it really like it should have come from the factory.

If you drive this engine and than a non-valvetronic engine, you sure notice what an amazingly crisp throttle response the n52 has. But this is just the icing on the cake-a very efficient, higher velocity flow in a well designed pressurized box, being fed by the RPI scoop--really makes the intake as good as you can get.

The huge afe cone and huge space that is open makes for no pressurization and way more space for the air to go into rather than being forced right into the filter and exit hole and on to the engine..
Old 08-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any pics?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

pics pls
Old 08-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Banned

have no camara-but ther eis nothing to show-open your airbox up and cover it up with any kind of adhesive matt/heavy tape etc. Any cavity you see cover so its flat. .nothing to show