E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Swapping PDC Sensors from Stock Bumpers to M Aero Kit Bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I'm currently having the M Aero Kit installed - the body shop owner is saying that the PDC sensors will not fit on the new bumpers. All parts are OEM. Has anyone else had this problem? I always thought that the sensors should plug right in - are there any adapters involved?

Also, do the sensors have to be installed prior to having the bumper installed?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

I think there are two different sizes for the diameter on PDC. Apparently you have the wrong size. If yours is too small I heard that some people used a spacer bushing?

And yes I think it is impossible to install the sensors with the bumper on.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

^^^ Thanks for that bit of info - it might save me some money. I've done some research and it appears that some E60's with a build date after 03/07 have different PDC sensors than the earlier builds - and the earlier builds use the same type that installs with the Aero-kit. It's starting to look like I need to order another set
Old 08-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by pukka
^^^ Thanks for that bit of info - it might save me some money. I've done some research and it appears that some E60's with a build date after 03/07 have different PDC sensors than the earlier builds - and the earlier builds use the same type that installs with the Aero-kit. It's starting to look like I need to order another set
When you ordered the Aero-kit, did you specify that it's for an LCI w/PDC? I thought there were Pre-LCI and LCI versions of the Aero-kit with regards to the PDC option.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

The parts required to fit the oem mtech bumper w/ pdc on a lci car can get costly.. I'd ask your body shop if they can fab something up. Theres high demand for such a fit up. If they charge you $500 you'll still be ahead.. You should look here.. https://5series.net/forums/topic/937...an-08-e61-lci/
Old 08-12-2011, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by balbs
When you ordered the Aero-kit, did you specify that it's for an LCI w/PDC? I thought there were Pre-LCI and LCI versions of the Aero-kit with regards to the PDC option.
The only options for the kit are with PDC or without. The kit includes all the internal components to ensure proper fitment for LCI cars. What pisses me off is there was no mention from BMW that new PDC sensors are necessary. Now my car is sitting in the body shop waiting for the parts since the bumper can't be assembled without them.

I'll be selling my E60N PDC sensors soon.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 bmw 535i black sapphire metallic w/ tan interior , sports package , premium package , parking sensor, shades,usb , HRE 20's, CKS C1's coilovers, rpi scoop, OEM M5 side mirrors,OEM Gloss black kidney grills, ACS roof spoiler, ACS Trunk spoiler, 15% madico tint all around.. NEXT UP: bodykit and quads ( installing soon) cobb

any update on this?
Old 08-20-2011, 03:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sheldor535i
any update on this?
If you already bought the bumpers with the PDC holes I'm afraid there aren't many options.

The PDC holes in the Aero-kit bumpers are actually sculpted, so doing a hack job and then fabricating some sort of adapter to make the old ones fit will not look good - if it works at all. The LCI PDC sensors actually sit on mounts which connect to the bumpers. I read on another thread about the idea of ordering the Aero-kit WITHOUT PDC holes and then having the body shop drill new ones that will fit the sensors and just swap the mounts. When I get the old bumper back I'll examine how the mounts connect to the bumper - if its by double-sided tape then this alternative may be do-able. Then it might be cheaper to somehow exchange bumpers. Another option is to try to score a complete set of PDC sensors off of Ebay, etc - I saw a few for sale but they weren't painted. The sensors require special painting procedures and if your body shop eff's this up then the sensors will not work correctly. However, I was told that it CAN be done.

Either way you are still looking at more time and money spent to get it right. I decided to just buy a new set of the right sized sensors. I found the cheapest price at www.parts.com - it cost me over $1,100 for the set (ouch!) but the sensors are already paint-matched and fit perfectly. I previously bitched about their shipping cost but then found out they only post an estimate when you make a purchase - your c/c isn't billed until the parts actaully ship and the total s/h was $30. If you go this route MAKE SURE you order the right p/n because there is a different number for each factory color code. I can PM you the link I used as a reference to get the right part for my application if you need it.

Hope this info helps.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xiT Silver/Gray with Sport, Nav, Cold, Convenience, Logic7 and more.

Originally Posted by pukka
If you already bought the bumpers with the PDC holes I'm afraid there aren't many options.

The PDC holes in the Aero-kit bumpers are actually sculpted, so doing a hack job and then fabricating some sort of adapter to make the old ones fit will not look good - if it works at all. The LCI PDC sensors actually sit on mounts which connect to the bumpers. I read on another thread about the idea of ordering the Aero-kit WITHOUT PDC holes and then having the body shop drill new ones that will fit the sensors and just swap the mounts. When I get the old bumper back I'll examine how the mounts connect to the bumper - if its by double-sided tape then this alternative may be do-able.

I spent some time doing the same research on LCI PDC sensors reuse.
Here: My link
Here is the summary outcome for every body wanting to install M-tech NON-PDC body kit on their LCI car and reuse their PDC sensors and wiring:

Order NON-PDC Mtech kit (without PDC holes)
Order other inner-bumper bits necessary for LCI cars (per dealer recommendation per your VIN)

Order these PDC sensor mounts:

Mount for PDC sensor, front bumper P/N : 51110432215 $17.68 ( set of 4)
Mount for PDC sensor, rear bumper P/N : 51127178177 $8.95 (each)

These mounts are attache to the back of bumper covers with a double-sided tape as opposed to a being an integral part of a bumper cover, here is a link
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=51&fg=15

My bodykit is on (back) order, so I DID NOT verify this myself yet!

But I have a sample PDC sensor mount (rear) in my posession and can confirm:
It does fit LCI 17mm PDC sensors from looking at it.
It does come with the double-sided tape already attached.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vash68
My bodykit is on (back) order, so I DID NOT verify this myself yet!

But I have a sample PDC sensor mount (rear) in my posession and can confirm:
It does fit LCI 17mm PDC sensors from looking at it.
It does come with the double-sided tape already attached.
The sensor mounts are definitely "attached" to the bumper and not integral to it. On mine it was too strong for me to pull off, I suspect they used adhesive since I couldn't see a layer of d/s tape.

FYI - the kit comes with an assload of parts, the only ones my body shop used were the grille pieces, foglamps, and ducting. Everything else is "extra".

You should be good to go.

Quick Reply: Swapping PDC Sensors from Stock Bumpers to M Aero Kit Bumpers