E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Suggestions for removing 3M tape off a spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i Sports/Premium package, Sports transmission w/ paddle shifters, Tinted tails/side markers/reflectors, Blacked out emblems
Model Year: 2008

Getting ready to put on a spoiler I picked up recently. Any suggestions on what I can use to get the current 3M tape off it? I was planning on rolling off what I could with my hands and then acetone or something to get the adhesive off. TIA!
Old 03-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by naitch
Getting ready to put on a spoiler I picked up recently. Any suggestions on what I can use to get the current 3M tape off it? I was planning on rolling off what I could with my hands and then acetone or something to get the adhesive off. TIA!
try heating it up maybe
Old 03-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

I used Goo Gone and elbow grease
Old 03-23-2012, 04:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

heating it and fishing line.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

i just took off my OEM M5 spoiler in order to wrap my car with vinyl. get some strong....and i mean strong fishing line....preferably braided and rated for 50lbs or more....otherwise the friction/heat will cause lesser lines to snap mid-process.

in order to get the remaining 3M tape off....i strongly recommend Goo Gone Gel

https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&i...q=goo+gone+gel

spray it generously and let it sit for a couple minutes. do not try to scrap it off w/ like i tried using a plastic scraper....turns out thats a waste of time. instead use a terry cloth towel to rub it all off. the terry cloth will help pull up the adhesive.

use soapy water afterwards to get rid of the oily residue left by the goo gone
Old 03-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 535i Sports/Premium package, Sports transmission w/ paddle shifters, Tinted tails/side markers/reflectors, Blacked out emblems

Originally Posted by umichchris
i just took off my OEM M5 spoiler in order to wrap my car with vinyl. get some strong....and i mean strong fishing line....preferably braided and rated for 50lbs or more....otherwise the friction/heat will cause lesser lines to snap mid-process.

in order to get the remaining 3M tape off....i strongly recommend Goo Gone Gel

https://www.google.c...&q=goo+gone+gel

spray it generously and let it sit for a couple minutes. do not try to scrap it off w/ like i tried using a plastic scraper....turns out thats a waste of time. instead use a terry cloth towel to rub it all off. the terry cloth will help pull up the adhesive.

use soapy water afterwards to get rid of the oily residue left by the goo gone
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm getting the tape off ok and I have Goo Gone liquid which i'm trying out first (had it already in the house). So when you put your spoiler back on did you just use plain old 3M auto adhesive tape or the tape plus some type of activator to ensure a solid adhesion to the spoiler?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST

yup, i just used the regular 3M tape to install the spoiler once more. make sure you get the fitment/location correct and use something really heavy to hold it in place w/ pressure so the tape adheres.

also, be sure to clean the area thoroughly with rubbing alcohol before you put down the tape. most people have issues w/ the spoiler coming up on the ends because of poor prep...i even learned that the hard way in the past...
Old 03-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

Before I installed my trunk spoiler, I thorougly cleaned the trunk and used a claybar to remove extra dirt and wax. That way it would stick on there pretty good. It's been almost a year and my spoiler is still on there pretty tight.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Originally Posted by balbs
Before I installed my trunk spoiler, I thorougly cleaned the trunk and used a claybar to remove extra dirt and wax. That way it would stick on there pretty good. It's been almost a year and my spoiler is still on there pretty tight.
+1 on the claybar. I just installed my trunk spoiler today. Also, do a test fit before you take off the red 3M plastic strip and use painters tape to outline your final position. It will help a ton.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:34 AM
Members

Thanks guys i'm getting ready to install the spoiler today hopefully. Do you guys use an adhesive promoter at all? Or just the 3M tape by itself is strong enough?

Quick Reply: Suggestions for removing 3M tape off a spoiler