E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Subwoofer and amp recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:50 AM
jgt
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Looking for a subwoofer and amp recommendation from fellow members.
Budget: under $800

I want something thats not too expensive, reliable and just gives me a some extra bass. Maybe an 800-1000 watt system?
I plan on buying a "custom" box from ebay so whether I use one or two subs / 10" or 12" is up in the air. I don't plan on cutting out the ski pass.

So lets hear some recommendations.
Brand? 10" vs 12"? One vs two subwoofers?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

I like the one 12 setup.

A JL 12W6 with a 600 watt alpine Amp seems within your budget.

If you can afford it...get the 12W7 with an HD 750/1. You will NOT regret it.

Whatever setup you choose...make sure to get a bass control knob as you wont be able to control the bass from iDrive if you're going to be tapping a line.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Members

Nevermind, that was some poor wit. I was making a joke about 'tapping a line' but in obvious poor taste.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 AM
jgt
Contributors

Originally Posted by MORI3L
I like the one 12 setup.

A JL 12W6 with a 600 watt alpine Amp seems within your budget.

If you can afford it...get the 12W7 with an HD 750/1. You will NOT regret it.

Whatever setup you choose...make sure to get a bass control knob as you wont be able to control the bass from iDrive if you're going to be tapping a line.
Thanks a lot! I don't mind spending a little more. I just don't want it to spiral out of control since audio upgrades can get expensive very fast. I'll look into some pricing for both subs and the HD 750/1.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by jgt
Thanks a lot! I don't mind spending a little more. I just don't want it to spiral out of control since audio upgrades can get expensive very fast. I'll look into some pricing for both subs and the HD 750/1.
No prob...on the same note....

I have the stock highs and a 12W7 with an HD 750/1 and it sounds pretty good. Not top notch sound quality but really loud and banging with only the slightest distortion on the highs.

You really can't go wrong with this....just make sure you turn the bass all the way down in iDrive so that the stock system is only playing high notes.

If you start cutting holes in the rear deck the W7 might be too much bass(well...you can never really have too much bass )...otherwise its perfect. I didnt want to cut my interior up so I got a really powerful sub to get the bass through that thick rear wall.

Make sure to get a big ported box...you can lay some velcro under it so that it doesnt move
Old 05-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I have a 10 sub and a small alpine amp. I love it, it was just enough to enhance the sound! I tapped into the wires as per the instructions that were provided here on this site but I did not add a bass knob, dont think I need it. I cn controll all the bass through the I drive.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:55 PM
jgt
Contributors

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I have a 10 sub and a small alpine amp. I love it, it was just enough to enhance the sound! I tapped into the wires as per the instructions that were provided here on this site but I did not add a bass knob, dont think I need it. I cn controll all the bass through the I drive.
Thanks for the input! What brand/model sub you use?
Same here I don't plan on using a bass knob unless I REALLY need it even then I think I'll live with it. I already have Technic's cable harness spliced ready for subwoofer in the trunk to pair with the subs under the seats.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by jgt
Thanks for the input! What brand/model sub you use?
Same here I don't plan on using a bass knob unless I REALLY need it even then I think I'll live with it. I already have Technic's cable harness spliced ready for subwoofer in the trunk to pair with the subs under the seats.
Just had a brain fart and can't remember the name of the sub! I,m guessing the connection is to the sub wires and this must be why it's controllable through the I drive
Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 AM
jgt
Contributors

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Just had a brain fart and can't remember the name of the sub! I,m guessing the connection is to the sub wires and this must be why it's controllable through the I drive
No problem. Just wanted to see what people are using and what they like since they are too many sub and amp choices out there.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw

I am not sure if this is going to fit into an 800 dollar budget but this is what I have in my ///M

JL audio 600/1 - Amp hidden (very small very powerful - Runs cooler than most amps out there, takes minimum current to run)
JL audio 13Tw5 - I have a custom made box, since it a shallow mount sub really doesn't take any space in the trunk and looks OEM - Superb Sound (I have the Dirac in the M but this does add that extra punch)

I dont know your taste for Bass is or the type of music your into, but I don't like super loud bass, one that shakes my neighbors car and rattle my interior (thats ghetto stuff) I like clean pure punches (The Thump effect)

The JL 12w6 is a superior sub when it comes to quality of bass, I have that too and I use those in another car but the fact that its just 2 big and much more heavy defeats the purpose. I know people here don't recommend the bass knob but I would highly recommend it for the simple reason that I dont want to fiddle with options on my idrive when every song changes. I want a quick fast solution to control the level of bass available all the time.

PS: If you don't have a ski pass and your planning on a sub, you would have to rattle your trunk to get the bass into an E60 passenger cabin. What i mean is, run the amp and sub harder and still might/might not get the effect your looking for

Quick Reply: Subwoofer and amp recommendation