E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

SUBWOOFER

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by methodsound' post='1048630' date='Nov 6 2009, 12:41 AM
There is a current sensor built into the negative battery terminal. If you connect the ground strait to the negative terminal you are bypassing the current sensor which will cause charging issues due to efficient dynamics. You should fix this first.

By the way, using the cigaret lighter for your ignition ( turn on ) signal is fine.

Second, I am not sure if you did the test I was suggesting that you should do or not... what I meant was to unplug the rca cables going to your amp, and turn the car off and on to check if the turn off pop is still there (with the rca cables unplugged).
Thanks for your attached pic and i will do that rite now and see if that helps...i will get back to you with the outcome
Old 11-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Members

Unhappy

Originally Posted by delwarulislam' post='1048993' date='Nov 6 2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks for your attached pic and i will do that rite now and see if that helps...i will get back to you with the outcome
Just checked with the RCA leads unplugged and it still thumps everytime i switch the engine on/off
Old 11-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Members

what sort of battery/electrical faults are we talking about here???? (if the ground wire is connected to the negative pole..
Old 11-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Members

Just took the amps ground from battery negative and hooked it upto one of the ground bolts on the car...and to be honest the bass sounds much better then before but the thumps still there...i was going to ask guys what do you think of these two sub's??? i was thinking of upgrading from the aftermarket sub in my car but can't decide...i have attached pic and descriptions below.

Subwoofer Specs:

Model : S18X1
Size (IN., CM) : 18, 45.7
Impedance (OHMS) : 1 DVC
Max Rec Amplifier Power (WATTS PEAK) : 10000
Max Rec Amplifier Power (WATTS RMS) : 5000
Sensitivity (dB 1W/1M) : 89.7
Frequency Response (HZ) : 18-100

or

Vibe Black Death
Type Competition SPL Subwoofer
Speaker Size 15" (392mm)
RMS Power 2500w
Peak Power 7500w
Sensitivity 93dB
Frequency Response 15 - 850Hz
Impedance Dual 4ohm
Old 11-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by delwarulislam' post='1049006' date='Nov 6 2009, 12:05 PM
what sort of battery/electrical faults are we talking about here???? (if the ground wire is connected to the negative pole..

It is complicated but basically the car has efficient dynamics and monitors the status of the battery, the current use, and the amount of charge given to the battery. It does this thru the IBS (intelligent battery sensor) built into the negative battery terminal. If you connect your amp strait to the battery terminal the car can not read the current that you are using since it is not passing thru the IBS sensor. By connecting to the other points I indicated the car knows that you are using power for your amp and will adjust the charging program accordingly.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by delwarulislam' post='1049003' date='Nov 6 2009, 12:01 PM
Just checked with the RCA leads unplugged and it still thumps everytime i switch the engine on/off

There is one more test to do. Leave the rca cables on you amp unplugged. Get another set of rca cables and cut the tips off with enough slack so that you can strip the jacket off the wires. You can try connecting the outside jacket ( audio ground reference ) to ground. If the pop is still there put a 200 ohm resistor between it and ground. You can also short the inside rca line ( audio ) to the outside rca line ( audio ground ). Let me know what happens.

My guess is that my maintaining your audio ground reference the turn on/ off pop will go away. If simply connecting to ground works then you need to use a devise like a PAC SNI-1. That will allow you to plug the rca cables into the sub amp and then ground the brown wires which will maintain the ground reference. The female plugs of the SNI-1 will go to the high to low converter ( the SNI-1 is labeled differently but you want the male rca ends and brown wires to be on the side that connects to your sub amp).
Old 11-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by methodsound' post='1049251' date='Nov 6 2009, 10:20 PM
There is one more test to do. Leave the rca cables on you amp unplugged. Get another set of rca cables and cut the tips off with enough slack so that you can strip the jacket off the wires. You can try connecting the outside jacket ( audio ground reference ) to ground. If the pop is still there put a 200 ohm resistor between it and ground. You can also short the inside rca line ( audio ) to the outside rca line ( audio ground ). Let me know what happens.

My guess is that my maintaining your audio ground reference the turn on/ off pop will go away. If simply connecting to ground works then you need to use a devise like a PAC SNI-1. That will allow you to plug the rca cables into the sub amp and then ground the brown wires which will maintain the ground reference. The female plugs of the SNI-1 will go to the high to low converter ( the SNI-1 is labeled differently but you want the male rca ends and brown wires to be on the side that connects to your sub amp).
I found this on a website (pic attached below) its a STINGER-SGN21 Pop Stopper
this is what it says on the website that sells it:

Pop Stopper
Eliminates Turn Off and On Pops
Uses 1 Second Delay
Easy Installation
Works on Amplifiers, Speakers or Source Units
Old 11-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by delwarulislam' post='1049270' date='Nov 6 2009, 09:27 PM
I found this on a website (pic attached below) its a STINGER-SGN21 Pop Stopper
this is what it says on the website that sells it:

Pop Stopper
Eliminates Turn Off and On Pops
Uses 1 Second Delay
Easy Installation
Works on Amplifiers, Speakers or Source Units
The thump is most likely one of two things; either the amp is on before a signal reaches it, or your battery is near drained. Are you using a remote lead to power the amp or is it signal-sensing?

The E60 has a feature that if the battery is low, it will cut off power to non-essential systems during start, and then re/apply power once the car is started. I once had this issue after picking my car up from BMW service. They had drained the battery. The result is a thump since the aftermarket amp is wired directly to the battery, so the car does not have a chance to turn it on only after the head unit is powered.

Anyone with aftermarket amp(s) might want to consider buying a battery tender/tickler to keep the battery fully charged. It has solved problems for me.