E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

SUBWOOFER

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I was wondering if anyone could help me as i have installed an aftermarket Sub and Amp i just realisedb that everytime i switch the car on and off the Sub in the Boot/Trunk thumps...is this normal or do i need to do something for it to go away???
Old 11-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Definitely NOT normal. I don't have that problem with my sub and amp. Check to make sure they connected the remote shut-off wire correctly, they could short out quite a bit of stuff in our cars. Did the shop you went to guarantee their work? If so, go back and make them check it, keep your paperwork.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

Sounds like you might have your gain set way to high and the sudden change in voltage is spiking your amp (disclaimer I am not a professional)
Old 11-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

could also be a bad ground..
Old 11-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by einstein57' post='1048236' date='Nov 5 2009, 01:51 PM
Sounds like you might have your gain set way to high and the sudden change in voltage is spiking your amp (disclaimer I am not a professional)

I am no professional either, but it doesn't matter if I have my bass control set all the way down or up it never makes a peep until the radio is turned on.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Members

Thanks guys will get it checked out and give a feedback on what it might be...as it wasnt doing that at first when i first connected the sub and amp but after i disconnected the negative wire from the battery yesterday to put on m5 side mirrors i started getting this thump noise...

Old 11-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by delwarulislam' post='1048195' date='Nov 5 2009, 01:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help me as i have installed an aftermarket Sub and Amp i just realisedb that everytime i switch the car on and off the Sub in the Boot/Trunk thumps...is this normal or do i need to do something for it to go away???
Are you using rca cables to the amp or the high level ( speaker wire ) inputs on your amp? A picture of the amp and the connection you made to the speaker wires and turn on wire of the car would help too.

Well anyway if your using rca cables try this, pull out the rca cables and see if you still get a turn on/off pop. If your pop goes away you just ruled out the sub amp as the cause.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Members

Unhappy

Originally Posted by methodsound' post='1048436' date='Nov 5 2009, 08:29 PM
Are you using rca cables to the amp or the high level ( speaker wire ) inputs on your amp? A picture of the amp and the connection you made to the speaker wires and turn on wire of the car would help too.

Well anyway if your using rca cables try this, pull out the rca cables and see if you still get a turn on/off pop. If your pop goes away you just ruled out the sub amp as the cause.
Im using RCA Converter and from the RCA converter the phono leads that go into the amp...i've just checked all the wirings (even took all the wires off and connected them back on again) i even checked the remote wire and all the connections to see if any of them were loose in any way but they weren't...i even put the gain all the way down to see if that was the problem but the pop sound was still there everytime i switched the ignition on/off...My remote wire from the amp is hooked upto the cigarette lighter.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Members

Would it matter if the ground wire from the amp was hooked up on the batteries negative pole?? as i have my ground wire from the amp hooked up to the negative bolt on the actual battery itself and not on any metal surface or bolts in the trunk (i was being lazy), im thinking that might be the cause of the thump???

Old 11-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

There is a current sensor built into the negative battery terminal. If you connect the ground strait to the negative terminal you are bypassing the current sensor which will cause charging issues due to efficient dynamics. You should fix this first.

By the way, using the cigaret lighter for your ignition ( turn on ) signal is fine.

Second, I am not sure if you did the test I was suggesting that you should do or not... what I meant was to unplug the rca cables going to your amp, and turn the car off and on to check if the turn off pop is still there (with the rca cables unplugged).
Attached Thumbnails SUBWOOFER-ground_connections.jpg  

Quick Reply: SUBWOOFER