E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sub installed... now dynamat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 02:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi V1 hardwire Laser Interceptor 12" JL Audio Ported PowerWedge enclosure with one W1v2 20% tint

2008 535xi

I installed a 12" JL in a power wedge last night. Sounds good, plenty of bass even with the gain way down. However, the rear deck is now rattling a bit with heavy bass notes.

I've used dynamat in the past to remedey this. However, people say that these trunks hold a lot of the bass in already, so if I dynamat the bottom of the rear deck will I block out a lot of the bass that is coming into the cabin?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 04:04 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by 196ski
2008 535xi

I installed a 12" JL in a power wedge last night. Sounds good, plenty of bass even with the gain way down. However, the rear deck is now rattling a bit with heavy bass notes.

I've used dynamat in the past to remedey this. However, people say that these trunks hold a lot of the bass in already, so if I dynamat the bottom of the rear deck will I block out a lot of the bass that is coming into the cabin?

Thanks
I am not sure about the trunk of the E60, but the trunk on my E92 has reinforce struts that go left to right, diagonally. These would prevent you from sticking Dynamat onto the flat surface of the trunk.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi V1 hardwire Laser Interceptor 12" JL Audio Ported PowerWedge enclosure with one W1v2 20% tint

I can put it on the bottom of the rear deck with no problem. My question is whether or not that will dramatically reduce that amount of bass that will get into the cabin.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:52 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by 196ski
I can put it on the bottom of the rear deck with no problem. My question is whether or not that will dramatically reduce that amount of bass that will get into the cabin.
I would think that the bass would have more of a thump after the Dynamat since everything is much more solid.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:53 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

You're supposed to put in the whole trunk. Don't understand your logic about bass output being limited by using dynamat.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Members

The bass can only get into the cabin via the backseat and rear deck areas. if I were to dynamat the rear deck area, would that isolate that area and thus reduce the bass in the cabin.

I want to quiet the rear deck down from rattling, but not so much so that I can no longer hear any bass. Makes sense I hope?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

It does make sense to me.

Although I dont know the answer to the question bass vs dynamat, I think there must be other possibilities to eliminate the rattle. Either with felt or with dynamat, but only around the edges, where the rattle is created. I would do this first to address the rattle.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Contributors

I was always afraid to install a sub in my car because all of the electronics are in the trunk/boot. In my experience you always end up with some kind of alternator or electrical issues as a result over time. Who knows!?
Old 01-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' BMW 530xi

forgot whos car this was ... I have one 13.5 w7 tryna get one more my front side glass shakes as well as my whole trunk lol the port in the middle does make a huge difference cut a square hole like I did might cut the top part too it cause so much vibrations ... definitely need dynamat
Attached Thumbnails Sub installed... now dynamat?-23124390005_large.jpg  
Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

does that pic have a fold down rear seat? or did u cut out the area completely. i cut some 6 inchs holes in my rear deck. you can see where u can cut. then dynomat it and just poke a hole in the spots u cut out and fold the dynomat into the holes. cut ur ski hole out too. its a nessicity. like i said the pic above shows the enite rear panel cut out. that would allow 100% of bass thru. i feel like the ski port only allows 75 percent. as u can see i got my ported box faces the tailights. the box blocks my ski port which blocks the bass some. im getting 2 sperate boxes made and keeping a gap the size of the skiport between the boxes. there going to have to be less width and longer to meet air space requirements which means im going to have to redue everything again. pain in the ass. those aare my crossovers for my rear components on the box. only place i could mount them
Attached Thumbnails Sub installed... now dynamat?-006.jpg  

Quick Reply: Sub installed... now dynamat?