E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

standard audio to BSW and beyond

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 02:24 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

You should put a package together for the standard Hi Fi system. It should include the speakers you have tested for front stage, center channel with adapter plate, AMp, install instruction and all wiring to make it work. I bet you'd help out alot of people on this board.
medik13 makes an excellent suggestion. To be honest I'm not much of a sound enthusiast but I do like the music I listen to to be crisp and clear at escalated sound levels. The system in my pre-LCI E60 is mediocre at best. Even the stock sound system in my wife's QX56 puts mine to shame. In fact she's even been making fun of me lately. At some point in the next year, I would love to upgrade my speakers and install a proper amp etc. Right now I've got a mod list as long as my arm and a quickly depleating budget, but what's one more project right? Ha ha.

So what do you say Michael, as your time permits can you put something together and post a proposal for a great sound system mod for our cars?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

any other speaker package that you would recommend over the BSW, for example Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, Infinity...etc???

Is there anything worthy that I can get at Best Buy for example? BEST BUY
Old 06-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by Da_Meister_22
any other speaker package that you would recommend over the BSW, for example Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, Infinity...etc???

Is there anything worthy that I can get at Best Buy for example? BEST BUY

Forum members were reporting that the BSW speaker upgrade was not improving the sound quality of the standard audio system. I tried to document the before and after results of the BSW speaker installation, followed by the results of adding an amplifier to the system. The conclusion I came up with is that the standard audio system can not be dramatically improved without adding an amplifier. Once the amplifier power issue has been taken care of, you have the freedom to choose speakers that suit your personal listening taste and budget. I will say that since the BSW speakers are made to fit the car they do have an installation advantage over what would be available at a big box retail store such as best buy.

So what do you say Michael, as your time permits can you put something together and post a proposal for a great sound system mod for our cars?
A full speaker upgrade package would have to include an amplifier, but there is one thing you could get that would be an improvement with or with out the amplifier...
PM sent
Old 07-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i wagon

Originally Posted by methodsound
The hi-fi standard audio system ( up to 2009 ) is only about 15x4 watts front and rear and 20x2 for the subs.
This is a very informative thread. I have a 2010 5 series with the standard audio system and noted the parenthetical qualifier "up to 2009" in the quote above. Did the power of the hi-fi standard audio system change in the 2010 model year? If so, what was the power of the standard audio system in the 2010 E60 series?