E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sprint Booster Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: No mods

i will think about it tonight and maybe pull the trigger soon.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by alpinewhite' post='477592' date='Oct 3 2007, 01:46 PM
. just buy a new one for 250 that is compatible with your car steven.

i got a story to tell everyone. so last night, me, ImSortaBigDeal and Nerwezzy were hanging out. I asked Nerwezzy if I could try his sprintbooster out. He said about how the service light appears when the SB is on his car b/c the SB he bought was for a 550 SMG (Bing), but it still worked for Nerwezzys 530. so we drove to his house to try it on my car. After installation, I turned on the car. The car was acting all crazy. The revs were bouncing and the car was knocking. In addition, the service light went on and the Emission light on. I was freaked out. So I removed it.

The end of this story is my car is fine now, no check engine lights are appearing, except for the angel eyes problem i have :thumbsdown:

I still question if I should buy the SB after this experience.
Did the SB have the label with the model number still on it? If the model number is BDD401A then it will work for both Step and SMG. I read in another thread about someone having all sorts of errors messages, lights, etc. and someone suggested that he unplug it and check for bent pins. It ended up that he had bent pins and after he fixed it the problem went away.

Knowing this I checked the pins out carefully when I first received it and one of the pins was a little tilted/bent. I straightened it and installed the SB with no issues. The SB connector with the male pins seems to be a bit flimsy and has a little bit of flex to it, which means if the pins are a bit tilted and/or if you're not careful when you plug it in one or more pins can be bent and subsequently not make contact.

As far as the error light on Wezzy's car goes..........the GB seller told me that using the BDD401 (manual T.) version on my SMG will cause the engine light to come on, and that SMG's are supposed to use the same SB as the Steps (BDD401A). So I would be curious whether Bing had the 401 or the 401A on his car. If he had the 401A (which is appearently the one to use for SMG), and if Wezzys car is a Step (can't remember) then there should be no errors.....unless there is a bent pin. As I said, if the label is on the SB wiring harness then it should say which model number it is.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImSort0fABigDeal' post='477581' date='Oct 3 2007, 01:37 PM
Are their different models of sprintbooster..for example witll a 550 smg sprintbooster work with a 530 steptronic?
There is BDD401 (for manual Tr.) and BDD401A (for Step. Tr.). I assumed that since I had SMG I would need the same one as the manual, but the group buy seller said that if I use the manual one on my SMG car then the engine light will turn on. He said that SMG is supposed to use the same SB as the Step. (BDD401A). That's the one he sent me and it works fine on my SMG car with no errors.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Banned

I am new here and just read through this entire thread, did some research online and decided to pull the trigger on one. I found it curious it is VERY popular even with all the MB guys on the various MB forums.

Some interesting info I found on the MB forums was a thread where a guy did all this computer testing with and without the SB and basically gave a run down technically that the device does nothing more than change the pedal movement ratio

Basically you times 1.3 by whatever the current pedal movement is. For example Pressing the pedal 25 percent down times 1.3 gives you around 40 percent. So basically pushing the pedal 25 percent gives you the same power/throttle that pushing down the pedal 40 percent without the SB.

THis means once you hit about 60 percent of the pedal movement you are maxed out and further movemnt does nothing.

This technically sounds like it does not do much but by the sounds of so many happy people I had to order one. Sometimes there is no explanation as to why something works-it just does!

Can anyone provide some pics of the install. I am completely technically incompetent and would love to see some basic pics of how to do this. Or at very least some step by step directions for an amateur. I dont want to get my pedal off and realize I cannot get it back on
Old 10-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Contributors

@redwhiteblue:
your theory sounds good and there may be something to it. am also curious so therefore i am picking up mine tomorrow from a local shop 150miles away here in austria....

ps. check out this link http://www.sprint-booster.co.uk/sprint_boo...tting_guide.pdf for instructions...
Old 10-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Yeah, I've heard a lot of MB guys use the SB as well. My friend has a CLS55AMG and he has it also. I've been discussing this on the M5Board but most of the guys there are skeptical or they believe P500S mode is enough so they don't need this. One of them is supposed to be testing out the SB and provide additional feedback besides what I've given so I'm waiting for his comments.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

i hate you guys

just bought the SB. now waiting for shipment

i should be studying but this has been bothering me the whole day. Hope it works for me
Old 10-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by alpinewhite' post='477694' date='Oct 3 2007, 10:20 PM
i hate you guys

just bought the SB. now waiting for shipment

i should be studying but this has been bothering me the whole day. Hope it works for me
The way mine came, you might have it tomorrow if it shipped today (not kidding).
Old 10-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 5series
Model Year: 2004

I bought a automatic SB for my manual transmission 530i and lately my throttle has not been as sensitive as when i first put it on. It feels like it was before I even had it. Is this weird or is it a problem, because I'm wondering if something is faulty about the device or my car adjusted to SB, or is it just because I'm running BD4001A on my manual transmission car. Any feedback or questions to help resolve this issue is greatly appreciated. thnxx
Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Contributors

Hey guys, I'm back for a bit, just visiting. Sprint Booster is great!! I can confirm that along with all the great stories already on here. When I posted about it a few months back, a lot of people were skeptical about this, but now there's so many of us using it. On the E60, it was insane, I currently have it on my CLK, it really improves the car A LOT!! What I do notice tho, and if you guys care to discuss this, if you put the car on Sports mode (DS) do you guys feel like the car shifts abruptly somtimes? Like its hard to drive smooth with this thing, but its damn fun to drive likt you stole it. If any of you guys hvae both an MB and a BMW, try to get it for both, I think the MB shifts much smoother with the SB installed than the BMW, maybe its because of my driving style, but still recommend it to ANYONE!!

Quick Reply: Sprint Booster Installed!