E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sport Steering Wheel for 545i??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 E63 AMG -- Palladium Silver/Black. Love this car but looking to switch things up to keep things fresh. 2nd AMG in a row, but toying with coming back into the BMW fold!
Thumbs up

Has anyone installed a thicker/sportier steering wheel on their E60 yet? If so, which type, at what cost, made by what tuner, etc.

Unfortunately, the stock wheel is pathetically thin and very "un-sporty". What a huge let down on such a cool car. I have the Sport Package, but have to say this an area for some serious improvement...plus, the tame stock exhaust note.

Special thanks to Realtyman for posting pics of his recent installation of a B&B exhaust. I may follow suit for my 545, as well.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, mcorliss !

BMW offers a sports steering wheel what is thicker than the regular steering wheel.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 E63 AMG -- Palladium Silver/Black. Love this car but looking to switch things up to keep things fresh. 2nd AMG in a row, but toying with coming back into the BMW fold!

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Nov 30 2004, 06:34 PM
Welcome aboard, mcorliss !

BMW offers a sports steering wheel what is thicker than the regular steering wheel.
[snapback]62658[/snapback]
I have seen the round hub wheel...a la 6 Series before. I am looking for the same triangular hub style wheel as stock but with thicker rim and thumb grips. For instance, does anyone have experience with the AC Schnitzer E60 wheel?
Old 11-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

Originally Posted by mcorliss' date='Nov 30 2004, 05:44 PM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Nov 30 2004, 06:34 PM']Welcome aboard, mcorliss !

[snapback]62658[/snapback]
I have seen the round hub wheel...a la 6 Series before. I am looking for the same triangular hub style wheel as stock but with thicker rim and thumb grips. For instance, does anyone have experience with the AC Schnitzer E60 wheel?
[snapback]62663[/snapback]
[/quote]

Get the wheel used with heated seats/wheel option. It is noticably thicker and well proportioned.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:20 PM
Contributors

I had the heated wheel installed last week. It was less than $400 for the wheel. The airbag and all of the electronics are the same, and move to the new wheel. Heat doesn't work, but that's not the point.

I had my dealer install it - 1 1/2 hours labor.

I will eBay the stock wheel - it sells for $300 new, so I should be out $100 plus labor, assuming I can sell it.

The wheel is not the sport wheel, so it looks exactly like stock, only thicker and padded. The sport wheel is smaller in diameter and has the round airbag cover.

The sport wheel requires the replacement of the airbag and electronics as well, so it's about $800 plus labor, minus whatever you can get for the stock wheel.

I like the look of the stock wheel better, so that's the route I took. the Schitzer wheel is like $1200, and is based on the stock wheel as well. I think it's a little bizarre-looking, though.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by John W' date='Nov 30 2004, 07:20 PM
I had the heated wheel installed last week.? It was less than $400 for the wheel.? The airbag and all of the electronics are the same, and move to the new wheel.? Heat doesn't work, but that's not the point.

I will eBay the stock wheel - it sells for $300 new, so I should be out $100 plus labor, assuming I can sell it.

The wheel is not the sport wheel, so it looks exactly like stock, only thicker and padded.? The sport wheel is smaller in diameter and has the round airbag cover.

The sport wheel requires the replacement of the airbag and electronics as well, so it's about $800 plus labor, minus whatever you can get for the stock wheel.

I like the look of the stock wheel better, so that's the route I took.? the Schitzer wheel is like $1200, and is based on the stock wheel as well.? I think it's a little bizarre-looking, though.
[snapback]62686[/snapback]
Let me make sure I understand...

The heated stock wheel from the Cold Weather Package is only $300 plus Labor and it is somewhat padded and much thicker than the Sport Package with Ventilated Seats wheel that I have. The buttons are exactly the same and still completely functional? That is exactly what I am looking for. Do you have a part number? Are you sure that I am not giving up anything? Why in the world would BMW use such a slim wheel on my car in the first place???

Thanks for the insight. I am a real sucker for an thick sport wheel. Somehow to me, the car seems to handle totally different if the wheel is sporty. Thanks again.

Mike
Old 11-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

Here's the ACS wheel. looks cool IMO. At least it's something different.

Old 11-30-2004, 07:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by mcorliss' date='Nov 30 2004, 06:24 PM
Has anyone installed a thicker/sportier steering wheel on their E60 yet?? If so, which type, at what cost, made by what tuner, etc.

Unfortunately, the stock wheel is pathetically thin and very "un-sporty".? What a huge let down on such a cool car.? I have the Sport Package, but have to say this an area for some serious improvement...plus, the tame stock exhaust note.

Special thanks to Realtyman for posting pics of his recent installation of a B&B exhaust.? I may follow suit for my 545, as well.
[snapback]62657[/snapback]
vrrroooooom!

Welcome to the forum!
Stop by some time.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:24 AM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, mcorliss ! i don't like my standard, non-sport steering wheel as well <_<. the diameter is somehow too big and if i adjust it a little lower, it'll rub on my right lap and leaves a white mark on my black pants . so i have to adjust it a little higher every time i wear a black pants .
Old 12-01-2004, 08:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by John W' date='Nov 30 2004, 07:20 PM
I had the heated wheel installed last week.? It was less than $400 for the wheel.? The airbag and all of the electronics are the same, and move to the new wheel.? Heat doesn't work, but that's not the point.

The wheel is not the sport wheel, so it looks exactly like stock, only thicker and padded.? The sport wheel is smaller in diameter and has the round airbag cover.

I like the look of the stock wheel better, so that's the route I took.? the Schitzer wheel is like $1200, and is based on the stock wheel as well.? I think it's a little bizarre-looking, though.
[snapback]62686[/snapback]
Johnw,

One last question: Do you have a picture of your new wheel and old wheel so people can see the difference in thickness. At the same time, I will try to visit my local dealer to find a 545i with the heated wheel.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Sport Steering Wheel for 545i??