E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Split Second Turbo Tuner, Sprint Booster or Both?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in improving the performance of my 535i and wanted to get some recommendations of simple, relatively cheap, and safe mods that I could do to my car. Two options I've found are the Split Second Turbo Tuner and the Sprintbooster.

I'm leasing my 535i, so I need to make absolutely sure that none of my mods will invalidate my warranty, and can easily be removed when I turn the car in.

Here are my questions:
- Which of these mods is the best, if I choose only one?
- If I get both, will they work well together, or do they pretty much do the same thing?
- Are there any other performance mods (given my criteria above) that are a better option.

Any advice, feedback, comments would be most welcome.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

100% Sprintbooster but I dont know if they are designed for TT cars
Old 04-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

Originally Posted by Matt_535i' post='557817' date='Apr 8 2008, 12:11 AM
I'm interested in improving the performance of my 535i and wanted to get some recommendations of simple, relatively cheap, and safe mods that I could do to my car. Two options I've found are the Split Second Turbo Tuner and the Sprintbooster.

I'm leasing my 535i, so I need to make absolutely sure that none of my mods will invalidate my warranty, and can easily be removed when I turn the car in.

Here are my questions:
- Which of these mods is the best, if I choose only one?
- If I get both, will they work well together, or do they pretty much do the same thing?
- Are there any other performance mods (given my criteria above) that are a better option.

Any advice, feedback, comments would be most welcome.

Thanks!
I'm in the same boat as you Matt, I'm leasing my 08 535i. I decided on the 535i because of the tunable TT N54 engine. To that extent, I've purchased both the SSTT and the SB.

My thoughts: SSTT turns your car into a monster. My buddy has an 08 335i with it, and we were dead even in 5 races with an Evo. Mind you, it was an 04 Evo, but the Evo was running 13.0 quarter at the track. The SSTT basically tunes the 335i/535i engine with an increase in HP and Torque to the engine that doesn't stress it out too much (compared to the error codes the Procede and JB2 are spitting up). It also makes the car more gas efficient and should help to bring down your MPG a bit. Finally, I got it because I needed something that was plug-and-play, making it not only easier to take out before going to service at the dealer, but also easier to take out to sell it when my lease ends.

The SB on the other hand does nothing to increase HP or Torque...instead it increases your throttle response. From what I've gathered, it basically mimics the action of mashing the pedal all the way down to the floor. The SB tweaks the engine to respond to a smaller push of the pedal as it would to a full on, pedal to the floor. Again, the SB shouldn't spit out any error codes (other than the first time you install and some members aren't even getting that) and is easy to take out for service and again to sell when the lease ends.

I'd also recommend taking out the charcoal filter and replacing the stock air filter with a BMC or K&N drop in filter. There's a new filter that just came on the market for the 335i's called Streamline by Helene Performance, but as of yet, they're not producing any for our e60's.

I pulled the trigger on this car because of what I read on the e90/e92 forums on this twin turbo engine. How awesome is it to know that with just 2 simple mods, you can basically pull on 90% of the cars on the street and still have the luxury and comfort of a 5 series. There's really nothing else like it; BMW is the Ultimate Driving Machine.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by owwo' post='557931' date='Apr 8 2008, 09:30 AM
I'm in the same boat as you Matt, I'm leasing my 08 535i. I decided on the 535i because of the tunable TT N54 engine. To that extent, I've purchased both the SSTT and the SB.

My thoughts: SSTT turns your car into a monster. My buddy has an 08 335i with it, and we were dead even in 5 races with an Evo. Mind you, it was an 04 Evo, but the Evo was running 13.0 quarter at the track. The SSTT basically tunes the 335i/535i engine with an increase in HP and Torque to the engine that doesn't stress it out too much (compared to the error codes the Procede and JB2 are spitting up). It also makes the car more gas efficient and should help to bring down your MPG a bit. Finally, I got it because I needed something that was plug-and-play, making it not only easier to take out before going to service at the dealer, but also easier to take out to sell it when my lease ends.

The SB on the other hand does nothing to increase HP or Torque...instead it increases your throttle response. From what I've gathered, it basically mimics the action of mashing the pedal all the way down to the floor. The SB tweaks the engine to respond to a smaller push of the pedal as it would to a full on, pedal to the floor. Again, the SB shouldn't spit out any error codes (other than the first time you install and some members aren't even getting that) and is easy to take out for service and again to sell when the lease ends.

I'd also recommend taking out the charcoal filter and replacing the stock air filter with a BMC or K&N drop in filter. There's a new filter that just came on the market for the 335i's called Streamline by Helene Performance, but as of yet, they're not producing any for our e60's.

I pulled the trigger on this car because of what I read on the e90/e92 forums on this twin turbo engine. How awesome is it to know that with just 2 simple mods, you can basically pull on 90% of the cars on the street and still have the luxury and comfort of a 5 series. There's really nothing else like it; BMW is the Ultimate Driving Machine.
Thanks for the detailed response, I really appreciate it. How difficult was it to install the SSTT and where is the TMAP sensor located in the 535i? I may end up getting both of these mods, but if you had to pick only one, which would you choose?

Also, what does the charcoal filter do exactly and how easy is it to remove? As you can probably tell, I'm not much of an expert when it comes to cars.

Does the SB make the car really twitchy when you accelerate? I definitely don't want to mash into the cars in front when I come off the light, although having the increased responsiveness when overtaking might be useful.

Any other info you have would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

Procede V2!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i SMG , Oriental Blue, Congiac Leather Interior, Nav., Park Assist, Logic 7, Sports Pkg, Cross drilled slotted rotors, ceramic pads, SS Brake lines, free flow air filter and a supercharger (coming soon)etc.....all the good stuff

Does this work on turbo motors only, or non turbo motors as well?
Old 04-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

Originally Posted by SMG353' post='557988' date='Apr 8 2008, 11:09 AM
Does this work on turbo motors only, or non turbo motors as well?
It should work on all motors, turbo and non-turbo.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

FYI, SSTT still gives limps just like any other piggy...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.p...;highlight=sstt

Dinan FTW!!!

But if you have a lease then SSTT will do the job. I don't think SB is needed if you already have a piggyback.

Owwo - keep us posted on your results with both products.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by alpinewhite' post='557959' date='Apr 8 2008, 08:26 AM
Procede V2!!!
SLOWWWWW.... even with BOV, downpipes, and exhaust.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='558007' date='Apr 8 2008, 10:14 AM
SLOWWWWW.... even with BOV, downpipes, and exhaust.
im guessing someone had a run

Quick Reply: Split Second Turbo Tuner, Sprint Booster or Both?