E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Special brake effect

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by balbs
That's true. However, I think BMW designed the LCI to function way it is so that it would be easier to discern for safety's sake. Here's a scenario. Picture some guy driving on the freeway in mild traffic behind that E60 and thinks "Cool angel wings lights on that car.". He turns away to chat with a buddy next to him. Meanwhile the E60 slams on his brakes because the car in front of him suddenly stopped. The driver looks back at the road to see the same "angel wings" and thinks..."Cool wings...hey, it's getting closer...WTF!" ...BLAM!!! He didn't know the E60's tails got brighter. The only clue he probably had was that the car is coming closer fast and maybe the 3rd red light strip at the top of the rear windshield.

I do like the function for daytime or when the lights are off. Is it possible to have that for day but at night when the lights are on to have it function like stock?
I think what you're describing is a scenario for the BFD. However, the problem with BFD is that most people aren't staring at your lights or know your brake lights' intensity to begin with, so even when it's activated, unless they were staring at it the whole time, it's the same thing to them than regular braking. Which is why I am puzzled to why the flashing BFD was set from the factory. (though it is for M5's third brake light)

Now, for your scenario above, I hate to debate this, but take my word for it, you definitely know when brake is being depressed. It's bright. Plus the fact that it lights up the same time with the third brake light should let anyone know it's braking time. I have had this done on mine for two years now, and nobody has ever rear ended me, lol.

And the last thing you said... yes, it's possible, but too much work for me, lol. I would do it... for the right amount.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:03 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by balbs
I do like the function for daytime or when the lights are off. Is it possible to have that for day but at night when the lights are on to have it function like stock?
I'm also interested in this feature. Nothing found until now.
Nomis... maybe we can gather something in appreciation of your help.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

I have My BFD flashing now thanks to Simon, much easier to spot and I noticed cars backoff sooner!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

simon, how did you get it done. ive used the oem cables before....im guessing that u achieved these effects via coding? if so, was it LM1 or LM2....and since my car is (now) a 2006 is which LM model is that lol?

im looking for a good deal on some more lci tails, when i do, i def would like to perform this mod myself....thanks!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool mod. I like it.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by umichchris
simon, how did you get it done. ive used the oem cables before....im guessing that u achieved these effects via coding? if so, was it LM1 or LM2....and since my car is (now) a 2006 is which LM model is that lol?

im looking for a good deal on some more lci tails, when i do, i def would like to perform this mod myself....thanks!
I don't actually do it by coding. I am under the impression that it might be possible to just achieve it via coding (though not sure if the effects are the same), but never bothered to look into it.
The car in the video has LM1.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

But Simon, you dont explain HOW it's done lol!

...unless this is just a service you are now offering to paying customers (which I totally understand) .

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc' timestamp='[url="tel:1326654754"
1326654754[/url]' post='1412876]
I don't actually do it by coding. I am under the impression that it might be possible to just achieve it via coding (though not sure if the effects are the same), but never bothered to look into it.
The car in the video has LM1.