E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Speaker Upgrade BSW

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Ummm... the OP did...

Originally Posted by bimmer530iguy' post='750853' date='Dec 22 2008, 07:30 PM
anybody try this on a standard audio system? thanks
Old 12-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 5series
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='750953' date='Dec 22 2008, 10:47 PM
Ummm... the OP did...
Yea, I know. Anybody else?
Old 12-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 760li

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='747924' date='Dec 18 2008, 08:32 AM
OK, I put them in last night. I also bought the sound deadening for the doors, well worth it for the extra $19. Install was a breeze, but then again I've removed the door panels before to replace the wood trim, so I didn't even need their instructions. I disconnected the battery, though, as I didn't want to have to juggle the door panels, that really sticky sound deadening, and the blow dryer (to heat the deadening.) Everything worked well.

Sound notes:
Before I start, remember that audio is VERY subjective, and what sounds crisp and clean to one person sounds harsh to another. Also, not having a second L7 car around to compare with, I can only really comment on what I've noticed during my 45 minute drive to work this am. Also, I have the surround setting on concert hall.

I'm hearing much more detail on the high end, namely cimbals, high hats, etc. that simply weren't there before. I can pick individual instruments out, which just sounded muddled before. Female voices are more natural sounding, and I can pick out details in the voices now.

the mid-bass response (100-200 or so) is WAY up. I don't know how much of it is the speakers and how much of it is the sound deadening ( i used the entire roll on the two front doors, I have my system faded front a bit so I didn't want to waste any of it on the rears.) I had to turn the L7 100Hz eq down to +1 because everything was booming at +4. This octave was simply not there before, at least not clearly.

all said and done, don't expect a NIGHT and DAY transformation of your sound system, but it certainly sounds much better. Much more in line with my old xtant 603x amp and MBQuart speakers in my old E39.
great write up... do the new speakers over power the subs since they werent replaced?
Old 12-23-2008, 05:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by sunny_j' post='751099' date='Dec 23 2008, 02:22 AM
great write up... do the new speakers over power the subs since they werent replaced?
quite the opposite. the new speakers are slightly higher impedance, so the subs are more noticeable now. I had to set the bass flat and the 100Hz eq flat also and it's still more bass-heavy than it was before. I know the L7 changes equalization as the volume increases, so since I'm turning the volume up more to get the same volume out of the new speakers, I would imagine that's the reason.

after having them in the car for almost a week and listening to most of my favorites, I am VERY happy with them. I don't know if they'll fit a 7, though. I'll have to do a test fit to see if they're the same as the 5er.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bimmer530iguy' post='750853' date='Dec 22 2008, 06:30 PM
BSW Speaker Upgrade Installation Experience
I was so disappointed by the muddy sound of my base '08 535 that I was eagerly looking to upgrade the speakers. I ordered the BSW speakers, downloaded the instructions and went to work.

Getting the door panel off is not for the faint of heart. I was afraid I might break something. The center clip is tough to get off, and you have to use both hands and shake it up and down while pulling the door panel toward you.

The instructions mention a video, but there is no video on BSW's website for E60. There is a 3 series video on Youtube, and it was some help, but not too much.

A quick call to BSW got one of their techs on the line. He was some help, but not too much, when it came to identifying which cable connects where.

In my opinion, BSW instructions are way overkill. You do not have to remove any wires, except the ones connecting to speakers. Just remove the panel, place over a 12" high box, get the help of an assistant in holding it, and simply unscrew 3 screws on the metal plate that holds the 4" speaker, and replace the speakers. Tweeters are easily replaced.

The first door took an hour, as I struggled with the myriad of wires and what goes where.

The second door took all of 10 minutes, when I know what I needed to do without unplugging any other wire.

The rear shelf speakers are very easy to replace.

Overall, the sound is much cleaner and brighter now. I would like to replace the AMP and SUBs as well, whenever they are available. BSW has a customer here!

Overall, I would rate them 8 on a 10 point scale. They need to put up a video, be more helpful with what goes where, and simplify the instructions.

Getting the tool kit for free (just ask) was a great help. You still need metric nut drivers, that are not part of the tool kit.

Overall difficulty level is medium. If you are not handy with esoteric screw heads, get a professional installer.

It's worth it, overall. Just not as easy as is claimed to be by both BSW and an earlier poster.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 5series
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by azbimmer' post='755493' date='Dec 29 2008, 09:47 PM
BSW Speaker Upgrade Installation Experience
I was so disappointed by the muddy sound of my base '08 535 that I was eagerly looking to upgrade the speakers. I ordered the BSW speakers, downloaded the instructions and went to work.

Getting the door panel off is not for the faint of heart. I was afraid I might break something. The center clip is tough to get off, and you have to use both hands and shake it up and down while pulling the door panel toward you.

The instructions mention a video, but there is no video on BSW's website for E60. There is a 3 series video on Youtube, and it was some help, but not too much.

A quick call to BSW got one of their techs on the line. He was some help, but not too much, when it came to identifying which cable connects where.

In my opinion, BSW instructions are way overkill. You do not have to remove any wires, except the ones connecting to speakers. Just remove the panel, place over a 12" high box, get the help of an assistant in holding it, and simply unscrew 3 screws on the metal plate that holds the 4" speaker, and replace the speakers. Tweeters are easily replaced.

The first door took an hour, as I struggled with the myriad of wires and what goes where.

The second door took all of 10 minutes, when I know what I needed to do without unplugging any other wire.

The rear shelf speakers are very easy to replace.

Overall, the sound is much cleaner and brighter now. I would like to replace the AMP and SUBs as well, whenever they are available. BSW has a customer here!

Overall, I would rate them 8 on a 10 point scale. They need to put up a video, be more helpful with what goes where, and simplify the instructions.

Getting the tool kit for free (just ask) was a great help. You still need metric nut drivers, that are not part of the tool kit.

Overall difficulty level is medium. If you are not handy with esoteric screw heads, get a professional installer.

It's worth it, overall. Just not as easy as is claimed to be by both BSW and an earlier poster.
Thanks for the write-up man, it is greatly appreciated. I am not that familiar with installing electronics which is what is holding me back right now. If BSW could post a video of the installation process on the E60 that would be great. Otherwise, I may pay a professional audio technician to do the upgrade
Old 12-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

nice reviews guys, I think now that a few people have taken the dive into these speaker upgrades and have all had good experiences we are going to see a lot more of these on this forum.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 330ci cab - Jet Black - Black Leather - Premium Pkg - Sport Pkg - Auto - Heated Seats - Navigation - Xenon - Premium Sound - iPod - Bluetooth

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='746624' date='Dec 16 2008, 04:07 PM
mine are waiting in the box for me to get around to installing them. I got the L7 kit though.
How did you get them, I thought they were on Back Order for the L7 kit?
Old 01-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bimmer530iguy' post='750853' date='Dec 22 2008, 08:30 PM

I too have installed the BSW upgrade to my standard system. I agree that these drivers are better sounding than the stock ones, and the overall sound is improved. I do not think it is as good as BSW advertized. They do give you more bass and are less harsh than stock, but are still unsatisfying at loud levels. The stock woofers probably don't help matters.

Getting on soap box....

I do think the sound of this system could be excelent using the BSW drivers, but due to the lack of clean power from the stock AMPs and that the stock speaker mounting provisions are just not a good way to house speakers. BMW's stock mounting methods, (like probably any mfr) do not provide a good rigid baffle to mount to, and lack any kind of enclosure to let the speaker provide tight clean bass at loud levels. BSW offers "dynamat-like" material in an attempt to add mass to the door panels to improve the mounting baffle and possibly reduce vibrations that might occur due to the better bass response of their mid bass drivers. The mounting provision of the rear package shelf provides a poor non-rigid baffle that does not seal the mid bass and tweeters fron the foam enclosure beneath. The foam enclosure should be rigid. Unlike the doors, BMW had the space here to have designed ideal enclosures for the rear speakers, but chose not to probably due to cost or they wouldn't want the rears to outperform the door speakers. BMW's lack of speaker mounting design is, in my opinion, limits the potential of the BSW speaker to sound acceptable.

I have the earthquake subwoofers and a new amp to drive them. I bought these a year ago but never installed them because I figured they would overpower the stock mids and tweeters and not provide quality a quality system. Now that I have the BSW setup, I will install them when I get the time. I'll report my findings.

I give BSW poor marks for not providing the installation video that they mention to help sell these to you. I called them and asked about it and they gave me some B.S about how Youtube will have it in a few days. I don't believe a video exists for the E60.

Also, the mid bass drivers mount with a three bolt pattern that can only install in one orientaion. This is a problem on the drivers door. When installed, there is a door bracket that will short the speaker leads to each other. I solved this by bulding up a couple layers of electrical tape to insulate the soldered leads of the BSW mid bass driver from the door bracket. I was pissed that BSW allowed this to occur. Of course, nobody to call on a Sunday.

The instructions say NOT to disconnect the air bag fron its harness. This makes working on the door a pain, especially when trying to add sound deadening material. My 10 yr old helped hold the panels for me. I read above that someone may have disconnected the battery which might have allowed them to completedly remove the panel from the car.
Too bad the promised video doesn't exist. I was too wimpy to try this.

that's all for now...
Old 01-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Thanks for the info guys,
I've got the base audio system and have been waiting for BSW to finish this for our cars for 2 years, while I was waiting, I added a JL Audio amp and 8" sub. Yes, it fills in the missing low-end bass, but it can't and doesn't help the low quality speakers that BMW chose for our 55 - 70k autos. Sounds like this will do the trick....hopefully!

Quick Reply: Speaker Upgrade BSW