E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Speaker suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 03:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi ho,

Thinking of changing my speakers, I hear the from and rear speakers can only accomodate 4" speakers, that is kinda small.

The 2 speakers under the front seats can accomodate up to 8".

Info comes from my stereo shop friend.

So, any suggestions? My friend tells me Focal speakers are pretty good.

Cheers
tubbs
Old 06-07-2004, 05:10 AM
Senior Members

I have the standerd sound system. I think the quality is great. The problem i have and I dont know if its yours is that the speakers dont go loud. I cant get it to play very loud. I was wondering if they could take out the max volume with a software update. I was also considering a another amp or replacing the stock amp.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:10 AM
Members

Hi ho,

Thinking of changing my speakers, I hear the from and rear speakers can only accomodate 4" speakers, that is kinda small.

The 2 speakers under the front seats can accomodate up to 8".

Info comes from my stereo shop friend.

So, any suggestions? My friend tells me Focal speakers are pretty good.

Cheers
tubbs
Hello Tubbee,
Just changing the speakers will not give you the results you are looking for. If you really want to change your speakers you will also have to change the factory amps too. I just finshed this weekend installing a amp with a subwoofer box. I tapped into the inputs coming into the factory amp (non preminum radio), located on the left side of the truck (the amp is the small Harmon/Becker box). Thats the only amp I found so far, and it only seems to power the subwoofer under the seats and the rear door speakers, so there must be more amplifers in the car. In any case good luck on your project and let me know if I can be of some help.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

I beleive there may be one or more in the front door panels. I think the dealer told me this when i said I was going to tint my windows. He said there are some important accessories in the door like speakers and an amp.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:51 AM
Contributors

Better speakers will not change the quality of their input; in fact better speakers could actually make the system sound worse because they will reproduce the poor input signal better than the factory speakers. Replacing the head unit and/or amps would be a better first step.

Focal's are great speakers but a little pricy... The big thing with speakers is the mounting depth. Yes you can find hundreds of 4 inch speakers out there but if (this is just an example) the mounting depth is say 2 inches you might be limited to only 1 or 2 choices.

Just my 2 euro cents which is about 2.5 cents
Old 06-07-2004, 10:46 AM
Members

Changing the speakers to focal will not make of a big difference. you will not get the full quality of focal... its recomended to change your ead unit and adding amps.
stock speaker doesnt sound bad at all just need a little bass
Old 06-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Contributors

Like stated above, you'll get the most benefit from both amps and speakers. Don't think there is much you can do with the headunit due to Idrive.

I have focal utopias in my other car and the sound is great though a bit bright without a little tweaking.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Members

Thanks for the info guys,

I will hook up my old MTX Thunder amps from my current E39 and possibly a set of focal speakers for the front doors.

Stereo friend tells me he needs to cut the rear parcel shelf to put the subs, aargh, that is going to hurt....

more bass.

tubbs
Old 06-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i

Can I ask a Question to tcast305?
I also have a plan to put a subwoofer box.
But I am sure whether I can just hook the input wires(to the factory small amp) to my amp without line-out-converter or not.
Do you use a line-out-converter?
Thank you for your input in advance.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Members

Can I ask a Question to tcast305?
I also have a plan to put a subwoofer box.
But I am sure whether I can just hook the input wires(to the factory small amp) to my amp without line-out-converter or not.
Do you use a line-out-converter?
Thank you for your input in advance.
I believe the inputs coming into the amp (standard) in the trunk are differential inputs. Some amps can work via converting the twisted pair wires into rca plugs or using an adaptor like the Peripheral ven2 (i think it's now called the sven2).

I'll post some more info and pics of the amp later.

Quick Reply: Speaker suggestions...