E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Some mod plans... Mtech, vinyl wrap.. etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

So, here's my current thoughts...

I had my rear bumper replaced not too long ago with an OEM MTech bumper after being rear-ended. (Hooray insurance!)
Rest of the car has the original non-sport body pieces though.

After seeing some full-wrapped cars.. I've gotten hooked on doing a full vinyl wrap. Specifically... in a frozen blue. I saw a Frozen Blue M3 the other week, and it just grabbed me.

I really wanna do the wrap.. but I can't bring myself to pay for that until I complete the MTech package.

So, I basically need...
  • Sideskirts
  • Front bumper
And then of course, a place to do the full wrap in. I'd love to do it myself, but I simply don't have any room to do it in If I had a garage, I'd be all over it. But alas...

So.. biggest question is: If I buy the sideskirts and front bumper (probably gonna get an M5 rep for the front).. It feels like I'd be wasting time/money getting them painted by a shop if I'm just gonna do a wrap shortly afterward. Are there any risks/downsides to doing a wrap on top of a body piece that's only been primed?

And as for the wrapping... Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for anyone in New Jersey? I'd prefer somewhere near Central NJ, but for something like this, I'd be willing to travel a little bit.

As for prices and such... This is all I really have so far:

Name:  pSa8X.png
Views: 5
Size:  20.1 KB

This is based on Trinity's "M-Style" kit pricings.

Any suggestions/tips/etc? How much should I be expecting to pay for a full wrap (vinyl + labor)?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Bmw E60 530i 2004 Jet Black sport package on Linea Corse 19" Lc818 Saphire Black

I bought the M5Tech body kit, but didn't paint it yet, I'm in the same situation as you, I'm thinking of wrapping my whole car too, I have a garage for that, but I'm wondering if there is no problem with wrapping over primed part, plus I have some chips on the hood and doors ( can I wrap over theses chips or I need to touch them before wrapping ?)

For the price, here in Montreal, Overlay Graphics quoted me 2800 $, it might be the same price or a little less in NJ.

Since I've read here in the forum that some people did it themselves and just bought the vinyl, I saw some youtube videos that explains how to do it, and the vinyl can be found on ebay, just need to choose the color ! lol our cars needs 60 ft x 5ft of wrap, on ebay the price of this size of vinyl is around 550 $ !!!!!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:42 AM
Contributors

I started purchasing my body kit and I plan on wrapping the entire car this summer. I talked to some vinyl guys locally and they guided me to get the parts painted first. I went ahead and purchased the front bumper without getting it painted and will test to apply vinyl on it next weekend. I then just plan to test out the front bumper on my car for a few weeks and see how the vinyl holds up before I purchase the rest of the body parts.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Bmw E60 530i 2004 Jet Black sport package on Linea Corse 19" Lc818 Saphire Black

Originally Posted by iamnatio
I started purchasing my body kit and I plan on wrapping the entire car this summer. I talked to some vinyl guys locally and they guided me to get the parts painted first. I went ahead and purchased the front bumper without getting it painted and will test to apply vinyl on it next weekend. I then just plan to test out the front bumper on my car for a few weeks and see how the vinyl holds up before I purchase the rest of the body parts.
Nice ! where are you buying the vinyl and wich color have you choosed ?
Keep us in touch ! GL

Old 04-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tgm001
Nice ! where are you buying the vinyl and wich color have you choosed ?
Keep us in touch ! GL
Getting it off eBay. Just going with 3Ms 1080 series to give things a try. I don't need it to hold long term since I plan on changing up the color scheme next year. At this time since my ride is black I have extra glossy black vinyl at home just to somewhat match while I am testing the front bumper. If all goes well I will be going with matte white.

How about you guys? What color you guys planning on going with?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Members
Senior Members

Since my car is black, I'm interested of wrapping the whole car matte silver grey without wrapping the roof to do a bit of contrast,, or my other choice is doing it matte black ,,

I'm wondering if the wrap can hold on primer, plus I have to find a way to wrap the car with all the little rock chips on the car,,

p.s. Have you seen the matte olive green on a 5 series, I saw it on a s550 benz and It's pretty cool bro !
Old 04-17-2012, 05:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

two things....

1) make sure you only buy Oracal 970ra or 3M 1080 scotchprint for vinyl....its the only stuff thats going to look right on your car, easy to install and easy to remove. dont skimp on the materials....it will bite you in the ass later.

2) check out my #operationV10 build thread below if you'd like to see my car....its currently matte graphite metallic w/ gloss black + CF accents for contrast....it might give u guys some ideas....

as for the kit, i would def buy the whole body kit first then make color changes ur next project...
Old 04-17-2012, 05:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

stunt double post.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:57 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iamnatio
So did anybody find out if the vinyl sticks to a newly purchase bumper? I'm thinking of buying one and then directly applying Oracal 970 to it. Let me know. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kHong
So did anybody find out if the vinyl sticks to a newly purchase bumper? I'm thinking of buying one and then directly applying Oracal 970 to it. Let me know. Thanks!
I wrapped my parts without painting and I have had 0 problems thus far.

Quick Reply: Some mod plans... Mtech, vinyl wrap.. etc