E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Snow tires needed on a 5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was looking over the maintenance records of my 04 545 before buying it, I noticed the last owner would swap out to snow tires each year. The salesman said it was a waste of money and not needed. Since he was trying to close the deal, I wonder. For comparison, I thought my 328 was OK in the snow, but was a little squirley in its later years on more icy type snow. I'm not out to waste money, but the tirerack.com price of $1100 or so for good blizzak tires with good looking wheels seems reasonable. I live in Michigan and know other 3-series drivers who store their cars in the winter, so maybe it would be a good idea.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 325i Touring E60 530i Sedan

Yes it's needed. Get snow tires. The salesman obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by chriscpm' post='498570' date='Nov 24 2007, 05:38 PM
When I was looking over the maintenance records of my 04 545 before buying it, I noticed the last owner would swap out to snow tires each year. The salesman said it was a waste of money and not needed. Since he was trying to close the deal, I wonder. For comparison, I thought my 328 was OK in the snow, but was a little squirley in its later years on more icy type snow. I'm not out to waste money, but the tirerack.com price of $1100 or so for good blizzak tires with good looking wheels seems reasonable. I live in Michigan and know other 3-series drivers who store their cars in the winter, so maybe it would be a good idea.
What kind of tires do you have? Are they summer tires? (i.e. you have the sport package)

If they are summer tires, winter tires are a necessity. They lose significant traction below about 50F, even in dry conditions. They are completely unsafe in the snow.
You might get away in the snow with all seasons, but they are still inferior to a set of snows.

Get a set of snows on cheap alloy wheels. You won't regret it. Plus, you don't have to worry about brake dust messing up you wheels in February.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by chriscpm' post='498570' date='Nov 24 2007, 06:38 PM
Definitely get snow tires...Blizzaks or Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. Get some cheap alloys and throw winter tires on those and use your factory setup for summer...or do what alot of other members do and put winter tires the factory wheels and use those as the dedicated winter setup. Then proceed with shopping for some 19" or 20" wheels for the summer setup. Whatever you decide, for sure get some Super Double Secret Spy gadgets from DYNASPY so you can keep an eye on the person doing the work on your car so they don't F-bomb your rims.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Cadillac XLR // Silver with Black Interior 2002 Lincoln LS // Silver with Grey Interior [En Route] 2008 Black Sapphire Metallic 535xi // Black Nasca Leather // 18" Star Spoke Wheels // Sport, Premium & Cold Pkg // Bamboo Anthracite Trim & Headliner // Comfort Access // Head-up Display // Navigation // Logic 7 // HD Radio // Ipod // Sunshades

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='498594' date='Nov 24 2007, 06:32 PM
Definitely get snow tires...Blizzaks or Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. Get some cheap alloys and throw winter tires on those and use your factory setup for summer...or do what alot of other members do and put winter tires the factory wheels and use those as the dedicated winter setup. Then proceed with shopping for some 19" or 20" wheels for the summer setup. Whatever you decide, for sure get some Super Double Secret Spy gadgets from DYNASPY so you can keep an eye on the person doing the work on your car so they don't F-bomb your rims.
Thanks for the plug
Old 11-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='498583' date='Nov 24 2007, 06:00 PM
What kind of tires do you have? Are they summer tires? (i.e. you have the sport package)

If they are summer tires, winter tires are a necessity. They lose significant traction below about 50F, even in dry conditions. They are completely unsafe in the snow.
You might get away in the snow with all seasons, but they are still inferior to a set of snows.

Get a set of snows on cheap alloy wheels. You won't regret it. Plus, you don't have to worry about brake dust messing up you wheels in February.
I don't have the sports package. They are contential tires. I think all season.

The salesman did say you need snow tires for the sports package, which I've seen by people on the side of the road.

Are there wheels cheaper than $100 or so each? I don't think I'll get 19 for teh summer, since I love the smooth ride of the 17s.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Senior Members

For Michigan, all seasons will not cut it. Get snows, salesman is smoking something.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='498594' date='Nov 24 2007, 06:32 PM
Whatever you decide, for sure get some Super Double Secret Spy gadgets from DYNASPY so you can keep an eye on the person doing the work on your car so they don't F-bomb your rims.
What does this mean?

I think I'll get the wheel/tire set I found. The wheels look more like the sports wheels, so that will be a nice change for the winter.

This board is very cool.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by chriscpm' post='498615' date='Nov 24 2007, 08:42 PM
What does this mean?

I think I'll get the wheel/tire set I found. The wheels look more like the sports wheels, so that will be a nice change for the winter.

This board is very cool.
I had some trouble when I had my winter tires put on my factory 124's, the tire/wheel shop munched three of me wheels. Getting them repaired this Thursday if all goes well. DYNASPY "allegedly" sells stalker Magnum P.I/KGB gadgets, I myself think it's a front for Al-Qaeda. ...meaning I should have supervised the work being performed in person or remotely with his gadgets. Mostly I was giving him a little crap.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Cadillac XLR // Silver with Black Interior 2002 Lincoln LS // Silver with Grey Interior [En Route] 2008 Black Sapphire Metallic 535xi // Black Nasca Leather // 18" Star Spoke Wheels // Sport, Premium & Cold Pkg // Bamboo Anthracite Trim & Headliner // Comfort Access // Head-up Display // Navigation // Logic 7 // HD Radio // Ipod // Sunshades

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='498648' date='Nov 24 2007, 10:40 PM
I had some trouble when I had my winter tires put on my factory 124's, the tire/wheel shop munched three of me wheels. Getting them repaired this Thursday if all goes well. DYNASPY "allegedly" sells stalker Magnum P.I/KGB gadgets, I myself think it's a front for Al-Qaeda. ...meaning I should have supervised the work being performed in person or remotely with his gadgets. Mostly I was giving him a little crap.
Magnum ain't got nothin' on me

Quick Reply: Snow tires needed on a 5?