E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

SMG shift knob in poplar wood?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I am looking forward to replace my SMG knob and E-brake handle to wood, once my car arrives. I searched but could not find the wooden shift knob anywhere. So, I was thinking if the Myrtle shift knob of E46 would fit E60. I know the myrtle wood is lighter with brighter silver cap, but perhaps it would be OK until the real poplar wood shows up in the future.

Does anyone know where to order this knob in the U.S.? or since I am going to Munich in November, can anyone tell me the phone number of a dealer in Munich so I can order it and pick it up personally?

I am attaching the picture for the E60 for you to see if it take E46's knob. Please refer to the link above for the E46's pic and prices
Attached Thumbnails SMG shift knob in poplar wood?-smg_knob.png  
Old 08-25-2004, 12:43 PM
JDN
Contributors

Looks like a twin until you get down to the first O ring or whatever on the shaft. Those are different.

I don't think I will trade out because this is likely a pretty expensive knob. But I am interested in following your experience for future consideration. I never say never.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I just spoke with Pacific BMW's part department. They weren't sure if the knobs are interchengeable between E60 and E46. If it does, then there's no problem getting the myrtle knob in around 2 days, since there are still 4 left in west coast distribution center.

The cost is $82 + tax + $8 shipping (non-returnable). Not bad. I would of paid a lot more than that for poplar wood knob.

I guess if anyone has the chance to confirm it for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

Do you guys think this type of wood would contradict the darker poplar wood a lot?

I am thinking in getting it anyways to replace the lether knob.
Attached Thumbnails SMG shift knob in poplar wood?-bmw_smg_wood_shift_knob.jpg  
Old 09-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

BMW offers a poplar shift knob and hand brake, not anthracite though. Check the accessories catalog on the site here or on bmwusa.com for the pics.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

BMW does not have a wooden shift knob for E60's SMG transmission. Only for manual and auto.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Errr yeah, that's right. Couldn't you just replace that top plate with the markings on it tho? I dunno.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 27 2004, 03:08 PM
Do you guys think this type of wood would contradict the darker poplar wood a lot?

I am thinking in getting it anyways to replace the lether knob.
[snapback]38686[/snapback]
Maybe you can get the wood trim to match

Old 09-28-2004, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

WOOOOWWW!

The lighter wood would go much better with beige and truffle brown leather than poplar.

I am so jealous now...
Old 09-28-2004, 07:42 AM
JDN
Contributors

Not me. I prefer the darker wood -- more elegant. Only negative to darker is it shows specks and fingerprints easier, but looks great when buffed. They would need a switch to turn that blond stuff brightness down.

Quick Reply: SMG shift knob in poplar wood?