E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sirius radio installation (pics) with ProClip mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i 06/2004 Build Date

Here are a few pics of my recent SIRIUS satellite radio installation in my 2004 530i which I bought back in July (more on that below). I ended up with a ProClip mount (part 853283) and my older SIRIUS Streamer GTR. I chose the ProClip 853283 instead of the shifter mount model (part 833379) since the latter would tend to get in the way of the passenger and shifter.

I have two plug-and-play SIRIUS radios, but my initial choice, the Starmate 3's dock tended to give a hissing noise when using Aux-In + the under glove box power supply. I really like the Starmate 3 since its color matches the other gauges, etc... but alas the better sound quality of the older Streamer GTR (with a blue display) won function over appearance. My 530 wasn't prepped with SIRIUS so I ended up going the AUX-IN route. I may try to replace the Starmate 3's dock later down the road to see if that helps with the hissing noise.

SIRIUS Streamer GTR + ProClip 853283 + ProClip swivel mount. Excuse the messy wiring, it is not finalized quite yet.
Sirius radio installation (pics) with ProClip mount-sirius_overview.jpg

The ProClip 853283 (with temporary wiring):
Sirius radio installation (pics) with ProClip mount-sirius_proclip.jpg

A quick intro - bought the 530i CPO back in July after being solidified on a 5er after my mom bought a 2008 528xi a month prior. I'm already an addict of e60.net and spend plenty of time here daily. I already bought and installed the rear bumper reflectors and performed the removal of the "chip" from the AUX-IN wiring thanks for this forum! I plan on some larger wheels and suspension upgrades after the winter passes here... the mod bug will surely be in full swing soon.

Here is my alpine white 530i and my mom's black sapphire metallic 528xi:
Sirius radio installation (pics) with ProClip mount-530i_and_528xi.jpg

Many thanks to this site for the valuable info and friendly atmosphere...

-Nick
Old 10-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Contributors

Congrats! &
Old 10-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Members

wow, I have the exact same setup with the proclip and all (only with my sportster 4 mounted). Problem on mine is that with the aux in , I only get sound from my left channels and a whine on the right side. when I plug the power cord into some other source (different vehicle) the sound is perfect. BMW NA says it is a know issue with the power feeds and the aux sound input but they dont have a fix. Did you get rid of your whining sound???
Old 10-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GADGETEMT' post='479745' date='Oct 9 2007, 10:53 PM
wow, I have the exact same setup with the proclip and all (only with my sportster 4 mounted). Problem on mine is that with the aux in , I only get sound from my left channels and a whine on the right side. when I plug the power cord into some other source (different vehicle) the sound is perfect. BMW NA says it is a know issue with the power feeds and the aux sound input but they dont have a fix. Did you get rid of your whining sound???
Nice! The Sportster 4 is a good looking model as well. Well with my Starmate 3 (newer model), I received alot more hissing noise in the background when compared to the model I'm currently using with significantly less hissing noise (the Streamer GTR). I did not do anything other than switching to the older tuner and I believe also removing the "chip" (see this thread and this thread) on the AUX-IN cable has I believe brought the annoyance level down to an area I can deal with.

The background noise does seem to increase when any of the external lights (headlamp/foglamps) are turned-on and the volume is high. I was also wondering that since my Starmate (and I believe your Sportster) use the same universal dock, that might play into the additional background noise. The Streamer GTR does not have a dock so all cables plug directly into the tuner compared to the separate docks on the other newer models.

Regarding your specific issue of sound from one side and whining on the other, I've read a few posts here that stated that the AUX-IN pins could have been swapped incorrectly in the harness that attaches to the radio. If possible, and if not already done, I'd try to see if you can have that looked at by the dealer.

I'd love to hear what BMWNA says about this and a possible fix (like additional grounding, etc.)... hopefully you can keep us updated!

-Nick
Old 10-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Members

The most bizzare part is that it works perfect when the sportster is powered from a battery pack or I use my ipod. I had the dealer check the wiring pins as you suggested, but no luck (assuming of course they actually did check the pins??). Will keep you posted...
Old 11-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Members

Just wanted to post a quick update with the wires cleaned up (compared to the first post). I slid out the carpeted trim piece just below the center console, ran the wires, then slid the trim piece back thus hiding all the wires.

The wires are running towards the front of the passenger side footwell where the power is obtained from the passenger footwell power outlet and the output from the Sirius radio goes back up into the rear of the glovebox into the AUX-IN.

Sirius radio installation (pics) with ProClip mount-sirius_new.jpg

I'm still trying to find a good way to finalize the satellite antenna (currently sitting on top of the rear window shelf)... getting the wiring up there and hidden looks a little more involved (removing back seat and rear window shelf).... I'll post up whenever I get up to that (once winter is over). Any advice here would be appreciated!
Old 11-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by oh530i' post='480046
The most bizzare part is that it works perfect when the sportster is powered from a battery pack or I use my ipod. I had the dealer check the wiring pins as you suggested, but no luck (assuming of course they actually did check the pins??). Will keep you posted...
It sounds like the whining sound it a result of a ground loop. That would explain why it doesn't happen when the unit is running on batteries...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)
Old 11-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

install it in the dash pocket with NO visible wires (my GPS can be ran off the battery eliminating ALL wires if necessary).

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...hl=nuvi+install