E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sirius radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i with winter package,sport package,nav,premium sound & 18'' rim's w/Pierelli's.

Hi,I am a new member here & would like to know what is the best route for having a Sirius in my 04 545? I currently have an old streamer but hate to put it on my windshield.As soon as I find my camera I will post a pix of my car.Any suggestion's would help,thank you.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by JDH1967' post='557526' date='Apr 7 2008, 03:07 PM
Hi,I am a new member here & would like to know what is the best route for having a Sirius in my 04 545? I currently have an old streamer but hate to put it on my windshield.As soon as I find my camera I will post a pix of my car.Any suggestion's would help,thank you.
First, if you have the original sticker, look to see if the car came with Sat Prep. It was a $75 option back then. If you don't have the original sticker, call your dealer or BMWNA and they can check based on your VIN. If you have Sat prep, it is easy to add, but not cheap. If you don't have Sat prep, you are kind of screwed. I would suggest having the Aux Input installed so you can plug in a Sirius unit there. Can't control it from the iDrive but better than the FM modulator set-up...
Old 04-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i with winter package,sport package,nav,premium sound & 18'' rim's w/Pierelli's.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='557565' date='Apr 7 2008, 04:13 PM
First, if you have the original sticker, look to see if the car came with Sat Prep. It was a $75 option back then. If you don't have the original sticker, call your dealer or BMWNA and they can check based on your VIN. If you have Sat prep, it is easy to add, but not cheap. If you don't have Sat prep, you are kind of screwed. I would suggest having the Aux Input installed so you can plug in a Sirius unit there. Can't control it from the iDrive but better than the FM modulator set-up...
I have the paper with the cost & all option's including gas mileage & do not see anything about a sat prep.Where does it go & is this a dealer job?
Old 04-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by JDH1967' post='557526' date='Apr 7 2008, 01:07 PM
I wound up going with the Sirius Stiletto 100 with a car kit ran thru the aux port. While not as clean as the stock setup, its pretty functional and comes with a wireless remote, making it a breeze to control while driving. Pic of the install below, along with a link for more info.

Stiletto 100
Old 04-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by JDH1967' post='557579' date='Apr 7 2008, 04:28 PM
I have the paper with the cost & all option's including gas mileage & do not see anything about a sat prep.Where does it go & is this a dealer job?
Unfortunately it is a factory install of the wiring to connect the Sirius radio in the trunk to its antenna in the shark fin and then connect to the iDrive system. If not done at the factory, the cost of retro fit is not worth it. You can have the dealer install the Aux Input and connect there, but you'll still have to find some place to mount the Sirius radio where you can control it while driving.

I just saw advancedlogic's set up, well done! That is the idea, as he said, not as clean but seems to work well.

Another option is to get the iPod adaptor installed in the glove box. They make the connection through the 6-disc changer wiring so you'll give up the 6-disc capability but gain a multi-gig iPod connection. That's what I did in my old car and it works through the iDrive for ease of use...
Old 04-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='557594' date='Apr 7 2008, 04:50 PM
Unfortunately it is a factory install of the wiring to connect the Sirius radio in the trunk to its antenna in the shark fin and then connect to the iDrive system. If not done at the factory, the cost of retro fit is not worth it. You can have the dealer install the Aux Input and connect there, but you'll still have to find some place to mount the Sirius radio where you can control it while driving.

I just saw advancedlogic's set up, well done! That is the idea, as he said, not as clean but seems to work well.

Another option is to get the iPod adaptor installed in the glove box. They make the connection through the 6-disc changer wiring so you'll give up the 6-disc capability but gain a multi-gig iPod connection. That's what I did in my old car and it works through the iDrive for ease of use...
Thank you for all the info from all of u.1 more,does the ipod adapter have any other option's for hooking up the sirius to & from it?
Old 04-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='557592' date='Apr 7 2008, 04:46 PM
I wound up going with the Sirius Stiletto 100 with a car kit ran thru the aux port. While not as clean as the stock setup, its pretty functional and comes with a wireless remote, making it a breeze to control while driving. Pic of the install below, along with a link for more info.

Stiletto 100

That look's pretty cool! What did the dealer charge for the aux port?
Old 04-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Members

advanced:

Can you provide a bit of a primer for the installation of the Stiletto? How did you handle the antenna? Power?

I am probably going to get the Stiletto 2 shortly.

Thanks

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='557592' date='Apr 7 2008, 02:46 PM

Stiletto 100