E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Simple shock absorber for Runflat Tire ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 04:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked my tire pressure yesterday come the colder weather, and found I now only had 29 PSI in front and 32 PSI in rear runflats. Proceded to put 34 in front and 38 in rear. Needless to say ride once again became very firm and uncomfortable on the great roads in the NY metro area with the infamous runflats.
I have been driving with a small decorative throw pillow in my '97 528i because after 288,000 miles the front seat flattened out and it needed the cushioning.
Decieded to try it in my 545i with comfort seats, and believe it or not it worked great, just like a shock absorber. It really softened the ride the runflats produce considerably.
Might not be the coolest thing to do, but who sees it when you are driving alone anyway. My new rims and snow tires will be in a another 10 days or so, and I ordered Dunlop NON-runflat tires which should give a better ride (Hope they also reduce the tramline effect). Till then, this will do just fine. Might be worth a try for other members that have complained about the runflats harsh ride.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Simple solution for an uncomfortable tire.. But I think we should all complain to BMW and they give is better runflats that aren't harsh riding..
Old 10-15-2004, 01:57 AM
Senior Members

As long as you're comfortable, that's all that matters.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:32 AM
Contributors

After a week and 2000km I would like to get rid of my Bridgestone tires now...they are hard and rocky, the car is too much reactive and bumpy especially on roads with bad surface...so my question is: which brand and model of tire should I buy to have good performance and comfort?
Old 10-15-2004, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I love my Michelin Sport Pilots SP2 under my previous BMW.. They are very expensive but give you a great ride, loads of traction and no tiresound at all.. In snowy conditions they suck big time but hey.. you can always get a winterset for wintertimes..