E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Short Shifter choice

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any short shift choices out there for E60 545i manual?
I like the transmission but felt it's bit long when shifting.
I like the short shifting when I had the Ireland Engineering shift on my E30.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i w/SMG - JetBlack - Dinan Software - Dinan Exhaust - Anthracite Trim - Anthracite Headliner - Sport Package

Originally Posted by 2005.E60.V8.6SPD' post='410585' date='Apr 5 2007, 12:31 PM
Any short shift choices out there for E60 545i manual?
I like the transmission but felt it's bit long when shifting.
I like the short shifting when I had the Ireland Engineering shift on my E30.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/
$355.00

Here is from their website:
The all-new
ultimate shifter

UUC's years of shifter experience and continual development have resulted in a major upgrade to our product, the all-new EVO3.

What's new with EVO3? Everything.

Every part of the EVO3 has been changed from EVO2. Superficial appearance shows little difference, but every internal component, dimension, and hardware piece has been changed. While keeping within the basic design of the earlier EVO2, the EVO3 is as close to a "clean sheet" design as possible.

Important upgrade points:

Subjectively 20% effort reduction compared to EVO2, very close to stock effort feel. This is accomplished by a complete reconfiguration of lever dimensions, linkage geometry, and all friction and pivot points in the assembly.

This results in the smoothest and least-notchy shifter available. Due to the increased precision and smoothness of the assembly, shift effort is only slightly increased over the original BMW setup.

The exact same 35% reduction in shift travel (100mm from 3rd gear to 4th gear total travel) is retained at stock height, and down to over 40% when height is adjusted to the short end of the adjustment range.

Completely self-contained and self-adjusting primary pivot bearing assembly. Unlike the original BMW pivot bushing cup setup, our new bearing system is not open to outside contamination (underside of the car in the BMW shifter assembly is exposed to road dirt) and will retain lubrication, keep out the grit that "roughens" a shifter feel over time (and destroys plastic ball pivots like the OE and many aftermarket units), and positions the shifter assembly perfectly for ideal linkage alignment.

New full-length internal vibration absorbing material that surpasses any OE or aftermarket material for longevity and retention of design specifications.

New standard lower pivot bearing setup with enhanced ease of installation.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My E60 is auto but I had a uuc shifter in my E36 M3 and I can tell you that it is by far the best shifter you can buy regardless of money spent. I hope they have done the same for the E60.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

I bought a Rogue Octane shifter. It was delivered earlier this week. Hope to install either this weekend or next. Also purchased the "drilled out" clutch delay valve and will install it as well. Purchased the replacement valve from Bavarian Autosport. I researched both the UUC and Rogue. My research seemed to indicate the Rogue is a step up from the UUC. Will report back after everything is installed.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:59 PM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pa550' post='410656' date='Apr 5 2007, 07:12 PM
I bought a Rogue Octane shifter. It was delivered earlier this week. Hope to install either this weekend or next. Also purchased the "drilled out" clutch delay valve and will install it as well. Purchased the replacement valve from Bavarian Autosport. I researched both the UUC and Rogue. My research seemed to indicate the Rogue is a step up from the UUC. Will report back after everything is installed.
I agree.

I will get the Rogue octane with the WSR for $285 (from Beastpower) as opposed to the UUC Evo3 (DSSR not available yet). The Evo 3 and DSSR will probably be around $450. Do research on other boards where a great deal of comparisons have been made between the two shifters, specifically for the E39 M5.

I will be interested inyour feedback on the Rogue shifter. BTW, did you get WSR? Where did you purchase and how much was it? You may email or PM if you don't like displaying prices.

al
Old 04-05-2007, 05:07 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by pa550' post='410656' date='Apr 5 2007, 06:12 PM
If you are doing the install yourself, please post a DIY with photos and details!
Old 04-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlB' post='410662' date='Apr 5 2007, 07:59 PM
I agree.

I will get the Rogue octane with the WSR for $285 (from Beastpower) as opposed to the UUC Evo3 (DSSR not available yet). The Evo 3 and DSSR will probably be around $450. Do research on other boards where a great deal of comparisons have been made between the two shifters, specifically for the E39 M5.

I will be interested inyour feedback on the Rogue shifter. BTW, did you get WSR? Where did you purchase and how much was it? You may email or PM if you don't like displaying prices.

al
Bought it directly from Rogue. About $295. Yes, it included a new WSR.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

Sunday 8 AM the shifter goes in and the clutch delay valve comes out. Doing it with the head mechanic at the local dealer. I'll do measurements on the throw of the stock shifter and the new one so we have good data. Will take the camera and shoot a lot of pics. Stay tuned...
Old 04-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

Installed the Rogue Shifter and removed the clutch delay valve this morning. All in all took about 3 hours, working with a BMW mechanic at their facility. Lots of work. First we had to remove a couple of belly plates and five heat shields. To do the shifter, we dropped the entire exhaust system and disconnected the drive shaft from the back of the tranny. We then removed the transmission mount bracket so we could tilt/swivel the transmission down about 4 inches - that made it easier to get to the shifter (and is the procedure Rogue recommends). We yanked the whole carrier with shifter and linkage and took it to the bench to install the new shifter. We then installed the carrier with the new shifter and connected up the linkage.

To do the clutch delay, we removed the slave cylinder from the transmission and put the replacement (drilled out) valve in then bleed the system. I got in the car and checked the mechanics of the shifter. Everything seemed fine. Put all the stuff back together underneath. Got in the car to test drive and the clutch pedal was sitting on the floor (no pressure). Put car back in the air and removed the slave cylinder, reinstalled it and re-bleed the system. Everything was fine then.

The verdict. Shifting is much improved. The throw from 3rd to 4th with the stock shifter was 4.5 inches. The throw with the Rogue is 3.75 inches. I calculate that as a 16.7% reduction in throw. I was hoping for more, but that it certainly feels tighter. One potential issue is I hear/feel some "gravelly" sound from the shifter when my hand is on it between shifts and when getting on the throttle. It's probably becuase the Rogue shifter is a lot more solid than the stock, and it's transferring vibrations/noise when my hand is on it. Also, after I got home I noticed the rubber boot (under the leather cover) was not pulled up as far as it could go on the sifter. I worked it up another two inches a few minutes ago. Have not driven it since, so will report back if that fixes the issue.

With the clutch delay valve removed, I can notice much more control and response on the clutch. No more head bobbing between 1st and 2nd!

I had promised to take pics and post them. Unfortunatly, we were way to busy and I was somewhat in a rush (wife and kids had only approved 2 hours), so we had to keep working. In any case, I wouldn't recommend this for the average weekend warrior.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

Follow up to my previous post. I drove the car a lot last night after re-adjusting the thick rubber boot under the leather shift skirt. The road noise is much improved, especially the "gravelly" noise I was hearing when my hand was on the shifter.

Bottom line is the Rogue shifter is definitely loader and more tactile than the stock. I spoke with Rogue this afternoon and they indicate that is totally normal b/c their shifter uses heavier materials throughout, thus less ability to dampen vibration/sound from the tranny. All in all well worth it.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter choice