E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i 6spd m/t Sport, Cold Weather, Logic 7

Originally Posted by 545felix
interesting idea, but unless you're really good at welding, I'd just pony up and get the replacement shifter. if you mess it up while you're cutting it or putting it back together, you won't be able to drive your car until you get a replacement. If the weld breaks while you're driving, that's going to be a PITA and a trip to the shop that will far exceed that $70.

Since this thread from ages ago, I've put in the z4 3.0 shifter with a bend in it. LOVE it. but I'm using the taller weighted knob because it was too short with the ZHP.
Totally right, though I've built a bicycle I ride around so I'm not too worried about failure. Then again I could just order the shifter and write it off as a maintenance expense ;p
Old 08-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by richard313
I have a 6spd 2006 550i, and I'd love to see a DIY thread on short shifter install!
Seriously?

Originally Posted by richard313
the guys with short shifters, did you guys find any premature wear on the transmission/synchros?
I remember reading on another forum, short shifters puts more stress on the transmission, thus needs regular maintenance.

is that true?
I go through my synchros weekly... no, I don't. It's the same exact thing, except the shift lever is shorter. Unless you mess something up during the install, there's no danger of early wear to anything.

Originally Posted by AlwynMike
I would think that the short shifter will cause LESS wear - there is less leverage applied to the change mechanism if you drive with your hand on the gear lever, plus the weight of the short lever is less than standard.

The only place there would be more stress IMHO is on your wrist and arm!!

Of course, there is a school of thought that says that most people who fit short shifters are the ones who would be more prone to "racing" changes, and hence increased wear due to this, rather than the lever itself.

Mike (with standard lever, no racing changes, ever )
If you have more stress on your wrist and arm, the "short shifter" to blame is not on the car

I love my new knob - the old one was way too big/tall... And I don't know why it's considered such a "racer's" mod. I drive very carefully, especially since I lowered it, and I still really love the short throws, makes the car come together more. Gives it a more confident and inspiring character

Originally Posted by lospice1
DARN!! I just ordered the z4 shifter from Garry. I Didnt know the z4 shifter was off center! Should I cancel my order and go for the 550 shifter?

It is definitely a DYI from inside the cabin...I'm 6'4" and have some good size mitts and was able to do it!

Thanks,
will
I got the Z4 lever, and had the shop bend it. Was a bit of a pain in the neck bending it, because the shop I did it at was doing it for the first time and had to improvise a way to grip one part of the shifter and apply torque to the other, without damaging it. In the end, it was well worth it though - after I had the lever bent, the shift action is perfect. I drove for a couple of weeks with the short lever before it got bent, so I know the difference first-hand.

Originally Posted by jg525i
here is mine....
Dude, you don't even have a manual transmission LOL GTFO this is for real drivers... oh, never mind, yeah the 335

j/k
Old 08-23-2011, 06:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by mwolfe
I have been comtemplating this and have found very little helpfull info, but am getting little bits and pieces that all in all are helping.

Where do you bend it and how much?
Has anyone tried the UUC short shifter? Supposedly better with "bearings rather than silicone fittings."
BIGGST QUESTION: Is it worth it? Is the shorter throw worth the extra work it takes to make the throw? Would you do it again and why?
I live down the street from Active Autowerke, they have a jig set up to bend shifters, so I just dropped it in the jig and used a large pipe to do the bend. 10 minutes. Of course, this was after I spent an entire weekend at home trying to bend a shifter that I ended up breaking.

The UUC and Rogue products are good, if a bit pricey. they are both better than stock, but I have no idea if either has one that goes as low as the Z4 3.0 shifter does. I don't know how to explain it, but for some reason the z4 3.0 shifter with the tall weighted knob takes less effort to shift than the -373 or 0678 shift levers with the short ZHP knob, even though all three have the same length below the ball and the z4 shifter with the tall knob is still shorter on top than the other two with the ZHP knob.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mullenc525
Totally right, though I've built a bicycle I ride around so I'm not too worried about failure. Then again I could just order the shifter and write it off as a maintenance expense ;p
remember the lever undergoes a good bit of shearing stress on that joint, a bike frame distributes the stress over multiple joints and isn't actually pulling or pushing anything else.

I'd say write it off as maintenance. You'll love it and wonder why they even bother with the stock lever.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Short shifters are not for everyone. I did mine using a Z4 one (oh btw you can do the entire swap from inside the car). I don't know if the diesels are different but after a week my hand was so sore, I swapped it back for the regular shifter.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Just doing the knob change from standard to the shorter (0.8 inch less) and heavier ZHP knob (5.4 oz vs 3.0 oz), the shift action was shorter and requires more effort, especially getting into R. I like it for the shorter throw. I do not drive with a hand on the shift knob, so there is no vibration issue to speak of.

Someone else's pics:

BMW ZHP Style 6MT Shift Knob vs Stock E60 Manual Shift Knob w/ Pics
Old 08-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i 6spd m/t Sport, Cold Weather, Logic 7

Originally Posted by 545felix
remember the lever undergoes a good bit of shearing stress on that joint, a bike frame distributes the stress over multiple joints and isn't actually pulling or pushing anything else.

I'd say write it off as maintenance. You'll love it and wonder why they even bother with the stock lever.
What I mean to say is I'm a capable welder. I'm a mechanical engineer so I'm fairly comfortable to say the safety factor on that bar is quite large and it should be OK after welding. I've done a lot of car modding in my day too

Nonetheless, its also not worth my time if I'm ordering other parts online as well.

z4 shifter or the short version 550i shifter?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mullenc525
z4 shifter or the short version 550i shifter?
I assume this is for a 525 based on your screen name?

anyhow, to decide between the two shifters you need to decide if you want the stubby ZHP knob. If you do, go with the 550 shifter. If you want to keep the taller knob, go with the Z4 lever. the Z4/tall knob combo is still a bit shorter than the 550lever/ZHP knob combo, but the Z4/ZHP combo is too short and hard to shift, IMO.

the picture in my .sig has the 550 lever with the ZHP knob. I've changed to the Z4/tall weighted //M knob since then.

Also, I am basing this assumption on the 525 having the same shifter as the 530 and 545.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i JB4

hi felix,

Sorry to dig up an old thread but looking into options for a 2008 535i 6mt shifter option. I dont want to spend high dollars for a UUC kit.

How can you tell if the Z4 3.0 or 2.5 with bends will work for 535? I have seen very little info on teh 535 shifter options. Will the 550 be better?

I have seen understeer's comparison but is not e60 specific. You are one of the few that seems to have done some experimentation in this field not on the UUC.

I tend to rest my arm on the center arm rest when shifting so I am not sure if the z4 + ZHP will be too low like you say. I like how it looks.

The other question is why do short shifters become notchy? What about the link or shifter that makes it so in exchange for "tighter/shorter" throws?

thanks
-p
Old 09-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone think a UUC SSK with a ZHP shift knob will be too short? I've heard stories about how difficult it can be to bang the car in to second and am wondering if this will be an issue with the reduced leverage.

Quick Reply: Short shifter