E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Shift knob insert....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 07:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i - Black on Black - Sport&Premium

Hi folks,

I have a couple of scratches on the titanium insert on my shift knob and I was wondering if that part was sold seperatly from the shift knob? If it is where can I find it?

On another note, does anyone have the PDF manuals regarding the steering fluid change, coolant change and Auto transmission change .

Thanks to all
Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by E60freak' post='631538' date='Jul 24 2008, 06:48 PM
Hi folks,

I have a couple of scratches on the titanium insert on my shift knob and I was wondering if that part was sold seperatly from the shift knob? If it is where can I find it?

On another note, does anyone have the PDF manuals regarding the steering fluid change, coolant change and Auto transmission change .

Thanks to all

You can find a new shift knob in Ebay (maybe) or at your local BMW dealer.

Fluid changes:
- power steering - if necessary
- brake oil - every second year, also a common brake check at the dealers is recommended (the iDrive will show when)
- coolant change - if necessary, but every third year is recommended in extreme climates (hot or cold)
- transmission and rear diff - lifetime oils, no changes needed
- engine oil - according to the iDrive

See your iDrive (Service) and your car manual.
The manual is good to read from A to Z, you'll learn something new about your car - I guarantee!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='631574' date='Jul 24 2008, 12:33 PM
You can find a new shift knob in Ebay (maybe) or at your local BMW dealer.

Fluid changes:
- power steering - if necessary
- brake oil - every second year, also a common brake check at the dealers is recommended (the iDrive will show when)
- coolant change - if necessary, but every third year is recommended in extreme climates (hot or cold)
- transmission and rear diff - lifetime oils, no changes needed
- engine oil - according to the iDrive

See your iDrive (Service) and your car manual.
The manual is good to read from A to Z, you'll learn something new about your car - I guarantee!
Thanks rick, but I think I did not explain myself well enough.

For the shifter, it's only the metal (titanium) insert on top that I am looking for.
Name:  25167548038.bmp
Views: 85
Size:  57.5 KB

I know I can find the whole knob, but why spend 150$ when you can (maybe) get something cheaper.

For the manuals, I was looking for the BMW manuals that are used to explain how to change the fluids (Usually used by the dealership garage). I know Rudy has many of these so I am waiting for him to jump in .

Thanks for the reply

Freddy
Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by E60freak' post='631604' date='Jul 24 2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks rick, but I think I did not explain myself well enough.

For the shifter, it's only the metal (titanium) insert on top that I am looking for.
Attachment 55331

I know I can find the whole knob, but why spend 150$ when you can (maybe) get something cheaper.

For the manuals, I was looking for the BMW manuals that are used to explain how to change the fluids (Usually used by the dealership garage). I know Rudy has many of these so I am waiting for him to jump in .

Thanks for the reply

Freddy
What in the earth have you done to destroy the metal insert on your shifter
(I have seen some naughty videos )

If you don't have a manual, get it and read it!

True, what Rudy don't know, isn't worth knowing
Old 07-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='631619' date='Jul 24 2008, 01:33 PM
What in the earth have you done to destroy the metal insert on your shifter
(I have seen some naughty videos )

If you don't have a manual, get it and read it!

True, what Rudy don't know, isn't worth knowing
Lol?no nothing like "that" happened to my metal insert. I scratched it once with a screw driver trying to play with it....so it annoys me now!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Contributors

You might get lucky and find someone on the forum who has replaced theirs for another version.

Check the classified section. Post a WTB (Wanted to buy).

Alternatively you could try to have the metal section buffed. I'm not sure if the metal is a surface coating over a base material or metallic through and through. If it's coated maybe a refinish with a metallic paint will suffice.

I doubt that the shift lever has replaceable sub-assemblies - that's too easy.

If you have read, for example, the loss of the little BMW emblem on key fobs is often lost ... the solution ... don't go goofy when you read this ... is to replace the entire key fob
Old 07-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Contributors

its a $60 replace and comes as one piece , sorry I just threw one away as I went all aluminum , let me see if its in the garbage still, if so I will PM you and you can have it
Old 07-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by northern-monkey' post='631721' date='Jul 24 2008, 03:25 PM
its a $60 replace and comes as one piece , sorry I just threw one away as I went all aluminum , let me see if its in the garbage still, if so I will PM you and you can have it
That would be great!

Thanks and sorry fore making look in your garbage
Old 07-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60freak' post='631729' date='Jul 24 2008, 03:31 PM
That would be great!

Thanks and sorry fore making look in your garbage
no big deal its in the box from the new one , in the garage , not sure if I emptid it last week or not
let you know later
as a thought I put the E39 aluminum shifter M5 i drive and E39 brake lever (need to file down the inside) and it looks great
the M5 i drive is a brushed aluminum and weighs a ton , better then the piece of plastic we got originally

the metal bits and metal door levers are a nice contrast IMO
Old 07-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by northern-monkey' post='631738' date='Jul 24 2008, 12:37 PM
no big deal its in the box from the new one , in the garage , not sure if I emptid it last week or not
let you know later
as a thought I put the E39 aluminum shifter M5 i drive and E39 brake lever (need to file down the inside) and it looks great
the M5 i drive is a brushed aluminum and weighs a ton , better then the piece of plastic we got originally

the metal bits and metal door levers are a nice contrast IMO
Do you drive a manual?

If not, an E39 auto shift knob fits an E60 - let me know as I am trying for that same look.
Also, do you know if there are also aluminum replacements for the two inserts on the steering wheel?
That would really complete the look I think!

Quick Reply: Shift knob insert....