E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

shadowline trim tape

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

here a link. i was thinking of trying it and see how it goes.
but before i order, does this just look like electrical tape? im not sure how it would be anywhere near wrinkle free around the curve on the rear doors trim..
maybe ill just give it a shot and see what exactly it is lol has anyone used or seen this before?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Members

i used it on my car, works great, looks good, just need patience.

its not electrical tape or anything like it, its vinyl strips, probably the same vinyl people wrap their cars in. and no, it does not crease. its very stretchy
Old 09-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 604nguyen
i used it on my car, works great, looks good, just need patience.

its not electrical tape or anything like it, its vinyl strips, probably the same vinyl people wrap their cars in. and no, it does not crease. its very stretchy
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Access...ADOW-TAPE.html
is this the same stuff your talking about? this is what i had in mind. maybe its rolled vinyl..
Old 09-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Dbl post.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill109
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Access...ADOW-TAPE.html
is this the same stuff your talking about? this is what i had in mind. maybe its rolled vinyl..
That is correct.

I went with something similar the first time I worked on this area:
http://www.bmwshadowline.com/

But recently I re-did it and just went with 3M's 1080 series. It was much easier to work with. Just me 2 cents.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by iamnatio
That is correct.

I went with something similar the first time I worked on this area:
http://www.bmwshadowline.com/

But recently I re-did it and just went with 3M's 1080 series. It was much easier to work with. Just me 2 cents.
hm interesting, this is the same stuff people are using for interior trims as well..?
ill look into this as well, hopefully they have a kit for window trim, and you dont have to buy per foot.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I've gone the vinyl route and honestly I'd recommend just buying replacement trim. It looks cheap if you don't do it right. The other option could be to plastidip the trim, but you would need to take the trim off.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tex_phil
I've gone the vinyl route and honestly I'd recommend just buying replacement trim. It looks cheap if you don't do it right. The other option could be to plastidip the trim, but you would need to take the trim off.
i plasti dipped the trim on my e39 and it was extremely frustrating to get it to look right.. i tried half of it on my e60 and it just has to many imperfections even at my best. im slightly ocd and dont want trim dipped.
i just ordered some 3" wide tape and will do my best to try it. after it shows up and installed ill post pics.
FWIW, i ordered from shadowlinerim.com

After some research i have seen a few people post about it and report that there was no shrinking or bubbling in weather elements.
anyone else do this?
Old 09-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by tex_phil
+1000...The OEM matte shadowline is only about $260 for all eight pieces plus it's more durable. You can make a dent on the vinyl tape if you run your fingernails along them...

Also, isn't electric tape made of vinyl....Ha ha...I've used it before going OEM. It is basically electric tape but a tad stiffer and not as stretchy.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by balbs
+1000...The OEM matte shadowline is only about $260 for all eight pieces plus it's more durable. You can make a dent on the vinyl tape if you run your fingernails along them...

Also, isn't electric tape made of vinyl....Ha ha...I've used it before going OEM. It is basically electric tape but a tad stiffer and not as stretchy.
hopefully the vinyl i ordered has some thickness to it.
i have a heat gun and i do snowmobile graphic wraps every winter so this should be cake..

Quick Reply: shadowline trim tape