E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Seeking USB retrofit advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)
Thumbs up

Car's going in for some work at an independent body shop, was thinking to possibly get the guys over there to complete the USB retrofit, as described here (excellent post, btw).

Originally, I was gonna do the iPod/iPhone retrofit, but decided to get the USB after all, since it would allow me the option of connecting either an iPhone/iPod to it, or any other USB device - and I'm awefully partial to carrying mp3's on a USB "stick".

My question is: do you guys think it will make any sense at all to have this retrofit done at an indie shop vs. a dealership?
Factors:
1. quality of work - mostly due to complexity and knowledge of these cars, dealers will have an advantage
2. cost - dealer would probably charge more, since my indie shop will probably just do the retrofit for me for a "nice tip", basically. However, a programming is needed to enable the retrofit anyway, which makes doing the retrofit at an indie shop tough, because there will be no way to tell its working until programming is completed.

I'm also not entirely opposed to doing this myself, if the guys at the indie shop will scare me of and the dealer cost will be prohibitive.

To any vendors/local dealers/possibly any private sellers who may have this kit out there: shoot me some prices, if you sell the retrofit kit or offer the entire A-Z retrofit job - I'm just starting to shop for this right now.

FYI: My car is a build date 10/2005 530Xi US-spec with Navi, bluetooth, no cd changer, no ipod/iphone interface, CD player does NOT play mp3s (although the Navi DVD drive does ).
Old 12-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I would suggest you get the Dension instead. The BMW USB option uses the AUX_IN input for the USB as well. I've done a comparision between the Dension and the USB on two cars and the difference is quite a lot.

Plus with the Dension you will get the iPOD kit as well and maybe even TV and stuff. Check the total costs of both before proceeding.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='1070081' date='Dec 8 2009, 04:41 AM
I would suggest you get the Dension instead. The BMW USB option uses the AUX_IN input for the USB as well. I've done a comparision between the Dension and the USB on two cars and the difference is quite a lot.

Plus with the Dension you will get the iPOD kit as well and maybe even TV and stuff. Check the total costs of both before proceeding.
My biggest issue with Dension - and I did consider it, although I have not summed up total costs yet - is that some people reported malfunctions. I don't even remember exactly what the problems were that I saw people report, but I remember that it was big. And I made a conclusion that if I want my car to run problem-free for a long time (since I'm planning to keep it for at least another 2 years, maybe just keep it, period) I should only get OEM stuff - or would you say that's a granny superstition? I know you've worked with the electrical systems on these cars extensively, so I really trust your word, Bruce.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1070089' date='Dec 8 2009, 09:46 AM
My biggest issue with Dension - and I did consider it, although I have not summed up total costs yet - is that some people reported malfunctions. I don't even remember exactly what the problems were that I saw people report, but I remember that it was big. And I made a conclusion that if I want my car to run problem-free for a long time (since I'm planning to keep it for at least another 2 years, maybe just keep it, period) I should only get OEM stuff - or would you say that's a granny superstition? I know you've worked with the electrical systems on these cars extensively, so I really trust your word, Bruce.
Yes I too am an OEM fan and will always choose OEM over aftermarket. But I choose based on features of the actual product.

In this case the OEM route uses an analogue connection and doesn't sound very good and thats the reason the Dension is better, you are buying this to play music after all so need a solution that sounds better. It sits on the MOST BUS and provides a good clean digital connection with the HU. They are more people with working Densions than people who have problems. But yes do your research well.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:42 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

Dension all the way. Only thing i did was do the mp3 retrofit at dealer, got the dension kit, installed myself and it sounds incredible. Had no problem with it if you follow directions properly. So many options also, IPOD, USB, video. With the specs you have with your car, i think you shouldnt have a problem. Do you have prewire for CD changer at least, maybe need to activate that.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='1070100
Dension all the way. Only thing i did was do the mp3 retrofit at dealer, got the dension kit, installed myself and it sounds incredible. Had no problem with it if you follow directions properly. So many options also, IPOD, USB, video. With the specs you have with your car, i think you shouldnt have a problem. Do you have prewire for CD changer at least, maybe need to activate that.
I am not sure whether I have the pre-wire - I will check it out next time I'm in the car.

So looks like I'm going with Dension after all. I'm still a little scared though - I really dread any issues arising from modding. I know Dension is a trusted company and their products are quality, but those reports I've read some time ago still haunt me. Though, I must admit, the prospect of video is VERY enticing.

So any advice on Dension is much appreciated as well, I guess LOL
Old 12-08-2009, 04:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='1070100' date='Dec 8 2009, 05:26 AM
Yes I too am an OEM fan and will always choose OEM over aftermarket. But I choose based on features of the actual product.

In this case the OEM route uses an analogue connection and doesn't sound very good and thats the reason the Dension is better, you are buying this to play music after all so need a solution that sounds better. It sits on the MOST BUS and provides a good clean digital connection with the HU. They are more people with working Densions than people who have problems. But yes do your research well.

is it possible to have the Dension 500 installed with full functionality even if you dont have the BMW iDrive CCC (Professional)???????
Old 12-18-2009, 03:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 2exclusive' post='1070132' date='Dec 8 2009, 08:14 AM
is it possible to have the Dension 500 installed with full functionality even if you dont have the BMW iDrive CCC (Professional)???????
Judging from their website, you will not be able to see the track information on your iDrive display - only on the iPod/iPhone. Also, I'm not entirely sure the M-ASK unit can handle TV/video (probably not)... so, I guess the straight answer to your question is no.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1075808' date='Dec 18 2009, 07:18 AM
Judging from their website, you will not be able to see the track information on your iDrive display - only on the iPod/iPhone. Also, I'm not entirely sure the M-ASK unit can handle TV/video (probably not)... so, I guess the straight answer to your question is no.
ok.. so do you think it still would make sense to get the Dension or just get the MP3 Retrokit since i have M-ASK. How much am i looking at a dealer more or less for the mp3 coding ???
Old 12-18-2009, 04:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Vlad, go with Dension. That is the best option. Best for price and ipod and AUX too. You'll love it.

I have no problems with it.

Quick Reply: Seeking USB retrofit advice