E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Satellite Radio aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Mystic Blue 530i. Sport package, Auto, Premium package, xenon headlights. Mods to come!

Looking to get a Sirius satellite radio. Anyone have a good ideas for install location of the antenna and how to hide the wiring? I want to hide as much as possible. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2005, 02:32 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Even though the installation materials recommend against it, I have three vehicles with the satellite antennas in the corner of the dashboard under the windshield with no problems whatsoever. The cable is then routed unobtrusively.

The satellite operators recommend against it likely for reasons of signal degradation, unpredictable installation experiences, possible line-of-sight issues, and just generally to avoid complaints and provide the best possible end user experience possible. Thus, they recommend that the antenna be installed only on the rooftop.

However, I've found that I have no problems whatsoever, save for very occasional cutouts in questionable signal areas (areas with tall buildings; and I'm in a city with no terrestrial service). Of course, I'd have problems in these areas anyway.

I'd strongly recommend under the windshield in a corner of the dashboard - not too far in the corner where it might be obstructed by the pillar, but it can be tucked over enough so that it's not in the way. And the ease of installation, in my opinion, outweighs any other issues. You can always install it externally if you have problems. In fact, you could just throw it up there and try it for a while without even routing the cables. In my installation, the way I have the cable routed holds the antenna in its area, so I don't even have it fastened down with any adhesive or similar. And the signal is digital, so it's not as if the sound is "better" if it's outside; you either have the signal, or you don't. So if you don't have any (or few enough to not bother you) issues with cutting out, you should be good to go.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

I have a GPS antenna and a wifi antenna in the corner of the dashboard/winshield with no problems.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Titanium Silver, All Weather, XM (Aftermarket)

I just had an XM-2-Go base station installed with antenna. Placed on the top dash corner (passenger side) with great results...