E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sat DVD issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d Sport Touring, Titanium Silver, HiFi Loudspeaker system, Heated Front Seats, Tracker Retrieve, Media Package, Black Dakota Leather & Steptronic Transmission

Folks, I have 2005 e61 and yesterday noticed that the sat nav did not come on, when selecting it using the iDrive control, I got a message 'Please Insert navigation DVD'. I checked and the DVD was still in there, I've tried ejecting and reinserting but still no joy. I've tried an MP3 disk in the DVD drive and it appears to work fine, but the navigation does not - any ideas?
Old 09-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by kkrazykool' post='1015090' date='Sep 23 2009, 05:37 PM
Folks, I have 2005 e61 and yesterday noticed that the sat nav did not come on, when selecting it using the iDrive control, I got a message 'Please Insert navigation DVD'. I checked and the DVD was still in there, I've tried ejecting and reinserting but still no joy. I've tried an MP3 disk in the DVD drive and it appears to work fine, but the navigation does not - any ideas?
Your map dvd may have some scratches or defects that prevent it from being read ... If your DVD reads MP3's that might indicate the drive is not the problem. To confirm I suggest you borrow a known good DVD map and see if that isolates the problem to the DVD itself.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring, Titanium Silver, HiFi Loudspeaker system, Heated Front Seats, Tracker Retrieve, Media Package, Black Dakota Leather & Steptronic Transmission

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1015120' date='Sep 23 2009, 11:10 PM
Your map dvd may have some scratches or defects that prevent it from being read ... If your DVD reads MP3's that might indicate the drive is not the problem. To confirm I suggest you borrow a known good DVD map and see if that isolates the problem to the DVD itself.
Hi Luigi524 - I actually tried a 'back-up' copy of that DVD and it did not work... The car is due in tomorrow for yet another service, I will get the boys there to take a quick look and get them to test it...
Old 09-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Black on Black 530xi. NAV, Prem, Cold weath...

I have had that issue before! what a pain! I had to get a new dvd and when I did they gave me the updated version. That one did not work because I did not update my nav from the year before so I ended up buying 2 dvds one for the previous year and the new one. works good now. Good Luck!
Old 09-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ryanlemek' post='1015847' date='Sep 24 2009, 05:09 PM
I have had that issue before! what a pain! I had to get a new dvd and when I did they gave me the updated version. That one did not work because I did not update my nav from the year before so I ended up buying 2 dvds one for the previous year and the new one. works good now. Good Luck!
It is a pain indeed! I asked the dealership today to take a look and they reminded me that it is out of warrenty and will charge me ?65 to diagnose the problem. I told them to forget it. I thought they may have tried using a DVD without scratches for free but no they wanted to spend 30mins 'diagnosing' the issue. Anyways I am sure I could pick-up an update DVD for less than their diagnosing fee.

It does turn-out that the original nav dvd has a few scratches on it - how they got on there I don't know. I never remove it!!
I will attempt to make another scratchless copy from the ISO backup I made awhile ago and see what happens, if that fails I'll get a DVD lens cleaner.

One annoying thing is that part of the image off the DVD looks as though it is peeling and have a horrible feeling that maybe something has clogged the lens or mechanism inside.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Black on Black 530xi. NAV, Prem, Cold weath...

That would not be good at all! good luck with that!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Contributors

Happ'nd to me before means its time for a new dvd as yours is scratched try cleaning it, it should work for a few days until you purchase a new one
Old 09-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by kkrazykool' post='1016987' date='Sep 25 2009, 04:21 PM
One annoying thing is that part of the image off the DVD looks as though it is peeling and have a horrible feeling that maybe something has clogged the lens or mechanism inside.
That could be the problem ... something may have gotten into the optics of the system. You might try to use a vacuum cleaner to "GENTLY" see if some junk that may have cluttered up the workings of the drive can be sucked out. Be very careful not to suck its innards out! I would have suggested blowing it clear with canned air but that would only serve to blow any junk deeper into the drive.