E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Rumours of an iPod adapter for the E60

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 12:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530d M Sport Saloon; Auto; Silver Grey; Navigation System Professional; Sun Protection Glass; M Rear Spoiler; No Model Inscription; Bluetooth Telephone Preparation; BMW 6 Disc CD Changer

In a conversation I had earlier this morning with the servicing department of my local dealer, I was told that there were rumours of an "imminent release" of an official iPod interface for the E60.

Has anyone else heard such rumours? Does anyone else have any news on this product - actual release data, functions, compatibility with iDrive, supported iPods, etc.?

TIA
Old 11-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of. But the other rumor is BMW partners with Samsung to have Samsung's cellphone with MP3 capability to intergrate into i-Drive via Bluetooth.

Here is the link of the link
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=17852
Old 11-03-2005, 10:14 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Nov 3 2005, 01:08 PM
Never heard of. But the other rumor is BMW partners with Samsung to have Samsung's cellphone with MP3 capability to intergrate into i-Drive via Bluetooth.

[snapback]193015[/snapback]
BMW has said for quite some time that it plans to offer iPod connectivity on iDrive vehicles, so I wouldn't be surprised if an iPod adapter release is forthcoming.

That Samsung phone will likely not be available in the United States, and the iDrive integration timeline has not been announced. At this point, it's nothing more than the announcement of a partnership. All of the implementation details have to be worked out.

That, and sharing the content via Bluetooth would be a real battery-killer, meaning you'd still have to plug the phone into something in the car (i.e., power) anyway.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by das' date='Nov 3 2005, 02:14 PM
[quote name='my530i' date='Nov 3 2005, 01:08 PM']Never heard of. But the other rumor is BMW partners with Samsung to have Samsung's cellphone with MP3 capability to intergrate into i-Drive via Bluetooth.

BMW has said for quite some time that it plans to offer iPod connectivity on iDrive vehicles, so I wouldn't be surprised if an iPod adapter release is forthcoming.

That Samsung phone will likely not be available in the United States, and the iDrive integration timeline has not been announced. At this point, it's nothing more than the announcement of a partnership. All of the implementation details have to be worked out.

That, and sharing the content via Bluetooth would be a real battery-killer, meaning you'd still have to plug the phone into something in the car (i.e., power) anyway.
[snapback]193017[/snapback]
[/quote]

On the topic of the Sammy... did anyone notice the link I posted that indicates there will be a Bang and Olufson audio option on the 5 Series? The suggestion was that this special bluetooth functionality may be part of that new audio package. I'm hoping it's not exclusive to the B&O package (if said package comes to fruition). It's certainly more grist for the mill that's for sure.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by groovemasterj' date='Nov 3 2005, 10:30 AM
In a conversation I had earlier this morning with the servicing department of my local dealer, I was told that there were rumours of an "imminent release" of an official iPod interface for the E60.

Has anyone else heard such rumours?? Does anyone else have any news on this product - actual release data, functions, compatibility with iDrive, supported iPods, etc.?

TIA
[snapback]192851[/snapback]

Here is a link to view the product...

http://www.bmw.co.za/products/iPod/default.asp

/Knubblo
Old 11-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Members

"The BMW iPod Adapter works with 1 Series, 3 Series (E46 and E90)*, X3, X5 and Z4 models with selected sound systems and options. Not available for vehicles equipped with navigation system, professional / DSP radio or CD changer. " So this Souhth African solution is not the answer for E60 pilots.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Members

According to an article I read, Samsung's SGH-i300 was able to play MP3 files across bluetooth and there could be a custom adapter for it... I am personally interested but it may not be readily available in US... I am waiting for an unlocked version appears on eBay...

Originally Posted by das' post='193017' date='Nov 3 2005, 02:14 PM
[quote name='my530i' date='Nov 3 2005, 01:08 PM']Never heard of. But the other rumor is BMW partners with Samsung to have Samsung's cellphone with MP3 capability to intergrate into i-Drive via Bluetooth.

[/quote]
Old 11-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

quote from Apple:

The new system developed by Apple and BMW enables drivers to seamlessly use their iPod in BMW?s 3 Series, Z4 Roadster, X3 and X5 Sports Activity Vehicles and MINI Cooper by simply plugging their iPod into a cable located in the car?s glove compartment.

The BMW iPod Adapter is available for the MSRP of $149 (US) plus installation cost, and will be officially available for customers to purchase at BMW centers as of July 12, 2004 for 2002, 2003 and 2004 BMW models: X3, X5, Z4 and 3 Series.

WTF why we have been left out

Skaffa
Old 11-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Steptronic, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Sport Pkg, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Logic 7, Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Anthracite Trim, IPOD Integration Produced Sept 5, 2005 CIP 24

There already is a developed IPOD adapter that integrates into the i-drive sysytem made by Seimens VDO. I actually saw it and played with it at the IAA in Frankfurt last September. All that is required is for BMW to accept it and add a software string to its software that will recognize the hardware and software. It adds an IPOD prompt after CD in the entertainment menu and it shows all folders, sub-folders, song titles, and artists. The Seimen's rep told me that BMW has had the technology and equipment since the 2005 model release, but they have not done anything to finalize plans. They are just dragging their feet like they are with MP3 capabilities in NAVPRO cars.

Originally Posted by groovemasterj' post='192851' date='Nov 3 2005, 12:30 PM

Has anyone else heard such rumours? Does anyone else have any news on this product - actual release data, functions, compatibility with iDrive, supported iPods, etc.?

TIA
Old 11-03-2005, 11:46 PM
Ray
Members

Has anyone tried to contact BMW AG to get some info. on this? I just sent an e-mail via their web page.

Quick Reply: Rumours of an iPod adapter for the E60