E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RPI Intake Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got stock intake and was wondering has anyone used this with stock intake i know this cools down the engine which is a good thing but only at high speeds is it worth it
any hp gain?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by ///M-Power
i got stock intake and was wondering has anyone used this with stock intake i know this cools down the engine which is a good thing but only at high speeds is it worth it
any hp gain?
I objected to the scoop long ago since it seemed the claims were hard to prove given the way it was tested. But I gave in an bought one.
I have not noticed gains in HP but the fuel efficiency has gone up 2 MPG on the freeway at speed. For example 26 mpg at 85 mph yesterday while last year at this time my records show I was getting 23-24 mpg... YMMV.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

the problem with the scoop and our e60 is that even if it does improve the HP, it will be very minimal and not very noticeable for a 200+ hp car to start out with...but it does give it the cool look factor though. Personally I'm still fighting the temptation to grab one.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

tested on a dyno dynamics for the non-M e60, shown gains are 5-7hp to the wheels. the scoop functions to take about half of the air coming in from the driver's side kidney grill and directing it into a tunnel. the opening of this tunnel can be seen at 90 degrees from the kidney grill. the tunnel, as you can see if you pop the hood, is directly connected to the stock airbox. if anyone is interested we do have the scoops in stock as well.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by or_550i
I objected to the scoop long ago since it seemed the claims were hard to prove given the way it was tested. But I gave in an bought one.
I have not noticed gains in HP but the fuel efficiency has gone up 2 MPG on the freeway at speed. For example 26 mpg at 85 mph yesterday while last year at this time my records show I was getting 23-24 mpg... YMMV.
thx for the info for 100 bucks i think it worth it might buy one soon
Old 09-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
the problem with the scoop and our e60 is that even if it does improve the HP, it will be very minimal and not very noticeable for a 200+ hp car to start out with...but it does give it the cool look factor though. Personally I'm still fighting the temptation to grab one.
yea they look pretty clean especially if i put it on my black 5er lol
Old 09-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy
tested on a dyno dynamics for the non-M e60, shown gains are 5-7hp to the wheels. the scoop functions to take about half of the air coming in from the driver's side kidney grill and directing it into a tunnel. the opening of this tunnel can be seen at 90 degrees from the kidney grill. the tunnel, as you can see if you pop the hood, is directly connected to the stock airbox. if anyone is interested we do have the scoops in stock as well.
seems alright for 100 dollar its like a cheap cold air intake lol
Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
...but it does give it the cool look factor though. Pers

This is true, I bought the red one for my white 535i. The gate guards at the military installation where i work at are always asking "sir, what is that red thing behind your fender?" They get really jumpy for a few seconds until i explain that it is just a intake scoop.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

You have to get the scoops and BMC filter combo to notice real gains based from my experience.

Pm Nerweezy, he'll hook you up tell him Radz sent you!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by epilithic
This is true, I bought the red one for my white 535i. The gate guards at the military installation where i work at are always asking "sir, what is that red thing behind your fender?" They get really jumpy for a few seconds until i explain that it is just a intake scoop.
That is too funny!

Quick Reply: RPI Intake Scoop