E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RPI exhaust, scoop, and ESS tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol I figured they were partners, everytime I walk into the Service and Parts area at my local dealership I see DINAN posters and advertisements all over the place. Good marketing for them then if they don't have any type of partnership
Old 05-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
The comment made above about piggyback if your under warranty and flash if you are not under warranty makes no sense. Yes you can easily uninstall a piggyback have a higher chance of retaining your investment where as a flash can be overwritten if the dealer decides to reflash/update your software. But most tuning companies offer a reflash at a discounted price as well. SO not sure how warranty influences your purchase decision.

Also, the OP has a 550, not 535..so not sure what piggybacks you are referring to for a 550...
Yes I'm aware that he has a 550i I was talking in general terms as far as modifying ECU and dealer detecting it. As far as the comment about piggyback if your under warranty and flash if you are not under warranty makes no sense, huh? I said if you are under warranty and have a piggyback or a flash it's best to remove the piggyback and/or reset the flash so the dealer doesn't detect that your car is tuned. Not sure what you were referring, maybe misread it.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Yes I'm aware that he has a 550i I was talking in general terms as far as modifying ECU and dealer detecting it. As far as the comment about piggyback if your under warranty and flash if you are not under warranty makes no sense, huh? I said if you are under warranty and have a piggyback or a flash it's best to remove the piggyback and/or reset the flash so the dealer doesn't detect that your car is tuned. Not sure what you were referring, maybe misread it.
from here:

If your car is still under original warranty I'd get a piggyback tune other than a flash. That is unless you know the person that is flashing your car and is willing to reflash it every time you take your vehicle in for service and every time you receive it back. If that isn't an issue then ESS is a good choice, I've heard great reviews of it and not so great reviews of the GIAC flash.
perhaps I did misread, but I did also elude to removing the piggyback and/or reflashing from tune to stock can both be relatively easy. Especially since ESS offers the hand held switcher/flash loader which plugs into the OBD port. The hand held switcher IMO is actually easier to work with than a piggyback, especially an ecu piggyback.....

but piggyback or tune, the recc'd procedure is still the same: remove piggyback/flash back to stock and clear codes if need be. Far less chance of throwing codes with flashes tho.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Lol I figured they were partners, everytime I walk into the Service and Parts area at my local dealership I see DINAN posters and advertisements all over the place. Good marketing for them then if they don't have any type of partnership
your BMW dealership may be an authorized Dinan dealer, but there is not direct partnership between Dinan and BMW NA and/or BMW AG afaik...that's why not all BMW dealerships carry dinan products or have posters on their wall.

But this topic is about ESS not dinan, sorry for taking the thread OT OP...
Old 05-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

Oh yeah that was my original post, when I was under the impression that with the ESS tune you'd have to go back and get it reflashed at the dealer every time you took your car in for warranty work. Then someone informed me that you get a hand held device, which I said that I didn't know about and that was pretty cool then. Guess you missed that part!
Old 05-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

Edit*
Old 05-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tron, make another post so I can send u a pm.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by brentf23
Tron, make another post so I can send u a pm.

Brent - let me know if a day this weekend works for you to connect.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Members

I am paranoid about my warranty and not giving the dealer any reason to not warranty issues. I think the exhaust and scoops are easy since those are bolt on. I can't see how a dealer can say how those can cause major issues.

Although I am hesitant on the ESS tune, as much as I would like one, I am paranoid that I will be the one person who gets caught and put on BMW "red flag". Once on that list, it's hard for BMW to just any warranty work done in the future. I spent extra money on an extended warranty, I'd hare it to be in vain.

I spoke to RPi about the ESS hand held flash unit, and he said there is a chance that if the dealer updates your software when you service the car, and you try to re-flash your tune back to ESS that it may screw up the car because the codes on your handheld are based on the old OEM codes.

Do you guys think that getting the exhaust and scoops, is a waste without the ESS tune?

Take the sound factor away, strictly talking performance.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Tron 550
I am paranoid about my warranty and not giving the dealer any reason to not warranty issues. I think the exhaust and scoops are easy since those are bolt on. I can't see how a dealer can say how those can cause major issues.

Although I am hesitant on the ESS tune, as much as I would like one, I am paranoid that I will be the one person who gets caught and put on BMW "red flag". Once on that list, it's hard for BMW to just any warranty work done in the future. I spent extra money on an extended warranty, I'd hare it to be in vain.

I spoke to RPi about the ESS hand held flash unit, and he said there is a chance that if the dealer updates your software when you service the car, and you try to re-flash your tune back to ESS that it may screw up the car because the codes on your handheld are based on the old OEM codes.

Do you guys think that getting the exhaust and scoops, is a waste without the ESS tune?

Take the sound factor away, strictly talking performance.
The unit will tell you if th dealer changed the software and present you with a code. You email that to ESS and usually within a few days (usually 24hrs) they email you back a new tune file which you upload into your handheld and then you are good to reflash. The handheld unit has a usb port which you use to connect the unit to your computer to update tunes, etc. In fact this process is how you get the tune into the device in the first place. I can recheck the manual to confirm the unit stops you from doing this when the codes change automatically but I believe that is the case.

You don't NEED the tune if you are not comfortable. You can just do scoops and exhaust. Most people just do that. I have not had a problem with my dealer. Head tech asked if I had a tune yet, I said yes, he says awesome, the problem I brought the car in for which could be attributed to the tune was resolved under warranty. But that's because the SA is really cool.

Quick Reply: RPI exhaust, scoop, and ESS tune