E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RPI exhaust, scoop, and ESS tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AngelSlayer
The ESS/RPI uses Direct Flash. You get a handheld device and can reflash to stock and also restore your tune if the dealer overwrites it easily.
Ok was under the impression that you had to actually go to the authorized dealer to get your flash done again, that was the way it was for GIAC/DINAN anyway which was another reason that turned me away from it. If you actually get a handheld device then that isn't bad at all!
Old 05-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for everyone input.

What the anticipated power gains? Is it worth it?

Would still like to hear a live 550 with this RPI set up. Concerned that the exhaust is too loud for m taste. May get old after a while.

Hate to cut pipes on m flawless 550.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Tron 550
Hi all.

I am new to the E60 world with my 550. I am thinking about doing a simple tune to my ride

RPI exhaust
RPI scoop w/filter
ESS Tune

Can anyone give their thoughts on these?

Anyone have these mods on their car? gains? issues?

I would love to hear an RPI exhaust live..,,is there anyone in the Los Angeles area that I can meet and hear your RPI Exhaust?
Hey there I have a 525i and I installed a rpi gt exhaust axle back, with black rpi scoop, and a charcoal delete filter, all done by trinity autosports and with the recommendations of eloy from rpi, guy who designed the exhaust, and i only have a 525i, imagine this setup onnyour 550i? if u want to come check it out u can come by mynoffice I'm off to 405 heading towards the 10'freeway, pm me and let me know.. You gotta see this and hear this in person it's freaking amazing..thanks
Justin
Old 05-20-2011, 05:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mookish
Opps, didn't see that, I would like more info in this ess tune also.

Call the number below in my sig and speak to Ilia at IND. They are the NA source for ESS products and he can quote you on an ECU tune. Tell him Alex sent you (might cut price).
Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Members

I have all 3 mods on my 550i except for the bmc filter. I'm in orange county if u wanna see how fast the car is with these mods.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by brentf23
I have all 3 mods on my 550i except for the bmc filter. I'm in orange county if u wanna see how fast the car is with these mods.

Brent - would love to hear and see how fast your ride is with the RPI mods. I am available on Saturday if you can meet? Please let me know. I have an appt to get my windows tinted at 2pm.

Thanks
Dan
Old 05-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by brentf23

Any warranty issues with the dealer?
Old 05-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tron 550
Any warranty issues with the dealer?
All flash and piggyback ecu mods will void your warranty.
The only one that won't is a DINAN and that is because they are partners with BMW.
So remove the piggybacks and reset your flash before taking it in to the dealer for any work.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
All flash and piggyback ecu mods will void your warranty.
The only one that won't is a DINAN and that is because they are partners with BMW.
So remove the piggybacks and reset your flash before taking it in to the dealer for any work.
dinan and bmw are not "partners"

dinan provides their own warranty which if BMW warranty does not cover repair, Dinan will...

also, piggybacks and flashes can void warranties, if detected. Piggybacks more than flashes will increase your risk of throwing codes nd voiding your warranty. Either way, there are scanning tools readily and easily available to delete codes that could possibly void your warranty.

The comment made above about piggyback if your under warranty and flash if you are not under warranty makes no sense. Yes you can easily uninstall a piggyback have a higher chance of retaining your investment where as a flash can be overwritten if the dealer decides to reflash/update your software. But most tuning companies offer a reflash at a discounted price as well. SO not sure how warranty influences your purchase decision.

Also, the OP has a 550, not 535..so not sure what piggybacks you are referring to for a 550...
Old 05-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Members

I have the directflash unit from ESS so when I need to take my car into the dealer I can reflash the stock files back onto the car. It only takes about 10 mins. That was one of the main reasons I went with ESS and not another company.

Quick Reply: RPI exhaust, scoop, and ESS tune