E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RPI Exhaust or removing the resonator

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 05:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Need your advise, seen the RPI (almost spelled it RIP) exhaust for a good deal $950 i think from bimmerzone, but didn't like the fact that was sticking out more than the EOM, so i was thinking on going with removing the resonator instead after reading few post on forums on some are saying that you gain a few HP and decent sound ..

I'm not looking for a sound that will wake the entire neighborhood up, but a little louder that OEM would be nice..

Anyone that had gone this road what's your story ?
Old 12-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tnycman
Hey guys,

Need your advise, seen the RPI (almost spelled it RIP) exhaust for a good deal $950 i think from bimmerzone, but didn't like the fact that was sticking out more than the EOM, so i was thinking on going with removing the resonator instead after reading few post on forums on some are saying that you gain a few HP and decent sound ..

I'm not looking for a sound that will wake the entire neighborhood up, but a little louder that OEM would be nice..

First of all, that price is not a good deal. Go to trinityautosport.com and ask for Joe or Nerwyll. You're being ripped. Secondly, get the RPI exhaust, its worth it. Not only does it sound better but you will get proven gains in torque and horsepower. I know, I just bought one for my 530i and its amazing. Plus, the 4" tips look phenomenal!
Old 12-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Exhuast tips sticking out - I could be wrong, but I think it has to do with the installation shops on how precise they do the measurements when cutting the stock one off. Mine (530i) and friend's (545i) do not stick out any more than the OEMs. However, I have seen my other friend's 550i RPI sticking out an inch or more than ours.

I concur with Howitzer, the 4' tips are pretty aggressive looking. The exhaust is A LOT LOUDER than OEM and you will experience some cabin drone. I'm used to it and do not have a problem with it. Check out youtube. Sound is real nice and deep.

Good luck!

Hey guys,

Old 12-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

double post. my bad..

Old 12-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 sport with all the fixins, 07 yukon with all the fixins.

try this//////

https://5series.net/forums/topic/119...r-rpi-exhaust/
Old 12-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

Its funny because the car I saw was a 550i too, and the exhaust was sticking out quite a bit..
Could it be that 550i exhaust is different form 530/545?

Originally Posted by leese8080
Exhuast tips sticking out - I could be wrong, but I think it has to do with the installation shops on how precise they do the measurements when cutting the stock one off. Mine (530i) and friend's (545i) do not stick out any more than the OEMs. However, I have seen my other friend's 550i RPI sticking out an inch or more than ours.

I concur with Howitzer, the 4' tips are pretty aggressive looking. The exhaust is A LOT LOUDER than OEM and you will experience some cabin drone. I'm used to it and do not have a problem with it. Check out youtube. Sound is real nice and deep.

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, M Sport, Platinum Gray, Logic 7, Navigation, Comfort Access

I have a 2008 550i M sport with the resonator removed and I do enjoy the sound of it quite a bit. The car now has a aggressive sound that is definitely noticeable but isn't obnoxious. It was a fairly cheap mod since it cost about 200 bucks at a custom exhaust shop nearby. That being said, the only reason I went with the resonator delete rather than the rpi exhaust was that I wanted to keep the black exhaust tips that came with the car. You can't really go wrong with rpi, I've dealt with them before when I got by scoops and everyone who works there is great.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:16 AM
Banned

My Ride: E60 550i

Hey Tim
Thanks for the mention, and of course give me a call if you need more information

Hey guys,

Howitzer: $956 is the MAP pricing as required by RPI....(we are not allowed to advertise below that price) so no "ripping off" done .............but I do agree....the RPI exhaust is just awesome

Originally Posted by Howitzer
First of all, that price is not a good deal. Go to trinityautosport.com and ask for Joe or Nerwyll. You're being ripped. Secondly, get the RPI exhaust, its worth it. Not only does it sound better but you will get proven gains in torque and horsepower. I know, I just bought one for my 530i and its amazing. Plus, the 4" tips look phenomenal!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i - GONE

i have both. the resonator (all 4 of them) delete plus the RPi exhaust is LOUD; its pretty much straight pipes after the cats until the RPi exhaust. I'll try to crawl under my car and snap a picture later...

note: this was not originally intended. i did the resonator delete not ever thinking of getting the RPi exhaust. a local member posted his RPi exhaust for sale looking for a factory stock exhaust, so we exchanged exhausts plus some $$$.

loud.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Members
Senior Members

Can you post a video how loud it sounds ?

Originally Posted by ck-e60
i have both. the resonator (all 4 of them) delete plus the RPi exhaust is LOUD; its pretty much straight pipes after the cats until the RPi exhaust. I'll try to crawl under my car and snap a picture later...

note: this was not originally intended. i did the resonator delete not ever thinking of getting the RPi exhaust. a local member posted his RPi exhaust for sale looking for a factory stock exhaust, so we exchanged exhausts plus some $$$.

loud.

Quick Reply: RPI Exhaust or removing the resonator