E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RPI Exhaust Droning

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:31 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='853267
Thank you to everyone who supports me

We have established that this amount of droning is not normal, correct?

So what is the next step? I already got the exhaust checked out again at the place where I got it installed and they couldn't find anything wrong.
I also sent the video to Eloy at RPi and I am waiting for his response.

Could the droning be cause by the pipe not being cut perfectly vertical during installation?
Its hard to tell from a recording as some have better speakers than others. WIth the right sub/speaker set up, you can hear bass through videos that have very little bass resonance. Remember that at low rpm, your engine will resonate due to heavy load. Think of a manual car and when you are in too high of a gear while trying to accelerate at a slow speed. Anyhow, all this is purely skeptical as we wont know for sure until we get the exhaust back. Please make sure it is not damaged or modified in anyway. Im not worried though. Most drone people cant stand is the cruising drone that tends to linger around 2800-3000rpm (cruising range). You are not supposed to drive around at 1500rpm. From the video, I can hear the resonance only when you tap the gas while in low rpm. It doesnt last but a couple of seconds because the engine rpm catches up to the amount of throttle you applying. If you had drone drone, it would be there as you are trying to maintain a normal cruising speed. Anyways, I look forward to checking the exhaust out.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:08 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by RPIpower' post='853721' date='Apr 21 2009, 07:31 AM
Your drone seems to be happening right around the 1500rpm range. Are you driving it in manual mode? I looked at some of the pictures of your muffler and I really dont think there is anything wrong with the exhaust system. As part of the warranty though, we would have you send the exhaust back for inspection. If there is indeed something wrong with the exhaust, it will be repaired or replaced. IF there is nothing wrong with it, you would just be responsible for the shipping.

Its hard to tell from a recording as some have better speakers than others. WIth the right sub/speaker set up, you can hear bass through videos that have very little bass resonance. Remember that at low rpm, your engine will resonate due to heavy load. Think of a manual car and when you are in too high of a gear while trying to accelerate at a slow speed. Anyhow, all this is purely skeptical as we wont know for sure until we get the exhaust back. Please make sure it is not damaged or modified in anyway. Im not worried though. Most drone people cant stand is the cruising drone that tends to linger around 2800-3000rpm (cruising range). You are not supposed to drive around at 1500rpm. From the video, I can hear the resonance only when you tap the gas while in low rpm. It doesnt last but a couple of seconds because the engine rpm catches up to the amount of throttle you applying. If you had drone drone, it would be there as you are trying to maintain a normal cruising speed. Anyways, I look forward to checking the exhaust out.
When I am cruising at ~55mph I usually sit at about 1600-1700rpm. When I apply throttle, there is drone but if I just hold a current speed there is no drone. If this is normal then I don't think I will send it in because shipping will be quite expensive...
Old 04-21-2009, 05:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='853561' date='Apr 21 2009, 12:17 AM
and we didn't know that for a fact until he posted a sound clip did we?

Sorry AWG, you haven't been around here long enough to try and throw any real knowledge around.
your right we didnt know until he posted it but you were sure quick to call him stupid and say hes anal about everything. you jump all over a 16 year old who was in fact right and your the ass clown who wrote him off.

I have never once said i am all knowing of anything. Since i've been here im helped people with what i know. Helped with hid install, ae's, charcol filter, and resistors on plate leds. I dont know a lot but what i do know is you seem to have so much built up anger and you bring it here to the forum. Your dickheadish comments to everyone who is trying to gain information. I've used the fucking search option and sometimes 435893 post come up and after reading for hours it gets frustrating. So a easy question that someone can answer in 10 seconds seems more logical. What are you here for? To be the all knowing, asshole who puts people down? The kid was right, you jumped all over him calling him names and that shouldnt be here. Plain and simple. This wouldnt be an issue if YOU werent a dick to everyone. Im just standing up for the kid because someone needs to put "people" like you in their place.

You were wrong for being a dick to the krozi. He was right and before you had evidence he was wrong you were name calling and writing him off. Own up like a man and stop being a B.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: carbonized MB coupe

are the rp systems mandrel bent, what are in the muffler sections?
i am curious as i hear a lot abt RP, seems a few members have them, and the last question is are there different models for pre Valvetronic and valvetronic?

because my Arqrays have different models for those, and i don't know what the diff is
Old 04-21-2009, 06:16 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='853775' date='Apr 21 2009, 09:31 AM
your right we didnt know until he posted it but you were sure quick to call him stupid and say hes anal about everything. you jump all over a 16 year old who was in fact right and your the ass clown who wrote him off.

I have never once said i am all knowing of anything. Since i've been here im helped people with what i know. Helped with hid install, ae's, charcol filter, and resistors on plate leds. I dont know a lot but what i do know is you seem to have so much built up anger and you bring it here to the forum. Your dickheadish comments to everyone who is trying to gain information. I've used the fucking search option and sometimes 435893 post come up and after reading for hours it gets frustrating. So a easy question that someone can answer in 10 seconds seems more logical. What are you here for? To be the all knowing, asshole who puts people down? The kid was right, you jumped all over him calling him names and that shouldnt be here. Plain and simple. This wouldnt be an issue if YOU werent a dick to everyone. Im just standing up for the kid because someone needs to put "people" like you in their place.

You were wrong for being a dick to the krozi. He was right and before you had evidence he was wrong you were name calling and writing him off. Own up like a man and stop being a B.
Thank you AWG

Right now I have no idea if I want to send in the exhaust or not because I am not sure if this is normal or not...
Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: carbonized MB coupe

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='853805' date='Apr 21 2009, 10:16 PM
Thank you AWG

Right now I have no idea if I want to send in the exhaust or not because I am not sure if this is normal or not...

you should respect the reputation of RPI and handle it with them first, if they don't comply then make a fuss about it.
i'm sorry about your droning, i'm sure that can be fixed easily, just don' expect oem quietness in any aftermarket sports exhaust, if you do, then get bigger tips welded on your original instead
Old 04-21-2009, 06:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by billhk' post='853809' date='Apr 21 2009, 10:20 AM
you should respect the reputation of RPI and handle it with them first, if they don't comply then make a fuss about it.
i'm sorry about your droning, i'm sure that can be fixed easily, just don' expect oem quietness in any aftermarket sports exhaust, if you do, then get bigger tips welded on your original instead
Well, I have nothing against a loud exhaust, I just don't care for the droning. I have sorta gotten used to it though...

I just want to wait for some other people to chime in to varify that they also (or don't) have this drone at 1600rpm when giving it a little gas. If they don't I will send it in in a heart beat. If other people also have this drone when giving it a little gas then I will keep it and maybe install on of those cones...
Old 04-21-2009, 06:53 AM
Contributors

How the heck did I miss all of this? Anyway, Krozi PM'd me a week or so ago asking if I had this problem and I told him I hear the same thing. Yes, there is droning in the RPM range he refers to. It happens during NORMAL acceleration (normal meaning general leaving a stop light type of acceleration, e.g. there is a police officer in the lane next to me). It bothers me a bit, but it goes away quickly. You definitely hear it puttering around town while driving in "D" mode.

Krozi,
Sorry I took so long to notice this thread. Might have saved you some grief if you had someone else with the same issue.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Contributors

maybe it has something to do with the v8 engine.

RPI designs are fairly standard as far as ive found for the 525/530 and 545

Either way Krozi, you found you have drone, but you have a v8, us I6 engines dont have it. I would send it back and have RPI double check it to be sure.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='853775' date='Apr 21 2009, 06:31 AM

lol

Do you have an exhaust? Oh no? oh....too bad...

Quick Reply: RPI Exhaust Droning