E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RPI can you chime in

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010 | 08:09 AM
Banned

I know we have had our differences but as a educational post for people looking to delete the resonator I am wondering a couple of things.

As you know on the 525/538/530-there are prim cats==secondar cats =====<(((()))))----------------End muffler.

The ==== are dual 2 inch piping that feed in via a ypipe to the one and only resonator which when I looked inside was all wierd chaped and baffleed-definely no sraight through design. Then the Outlet pipe is 2.75 which goes all the way to the end muffler.

Now with the RPI placed everything is the same except coming out of the resonator you get maybe 3 inches of teh 2.75inch pipe and then it changes to the RPI 2.5inch piping which is smoother and ends with your muffler.

HOwever HOw mine is now is

Cat 1=============cat2============<----------------------------------------RPI end Muffler

== the dual 2 inch piping and then after the < 2.5 inch pipe replaced the resonator and connected up with the 2.5 inch piping on the rop.

SO I basically added 5 extra feet of smaller diameter piping since the resnator was a tube that was very voluminous and then the small 4 inches of 2.75 inch pipe got taken out as well and just the 2.5 inch piece replacing the resonator down to RPI.

It sounds great, I I notice better down low acceleration which makes sense to me if it can get the velocity gases flowing faster downlow in the rev range when they are not as hot to begin with, it wll scavange and suck in more gas into the cylinders compared to stock wise wit the thicker piping and resonator it will not quite build as much velocity, espcially purely stock.

My only thought is is this 2.5 inch piping too small to run all the way to the cats? Since its basically going from dual 2 inch pipes into 1 2.5 inch pipe so obviously my worry is a lot of gas is hitting that point and not bein able to flow properly through that spot.

However You did the same thing at the end when the 2.75 inch dumped into a 2.5 inch pipe and it works-just wondering about top end when there is a full load of gas pressure trying to get through there will it effect top end badly.