E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Roofrack Observation

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I have a Thule roof rack for my E60 and use it to carry Mountain Bikes on a weekly basis. After the first use I noticed light abbrasion to the clear coat finish basically on the edge so not visible unless door is open. So I tried a soft cloth under the clamps and that didn't help so I have just made some patchs from the plastic stuff to protect from stone chops on the front of the car, I'll let you know how it goes.

Does any one else use a roofrack on the E60 and has it caused any damage or have I just been unlucky. I didn't buy the BMW roof rack as I have always used Thule and to date never had any issue's.

As an aside an E61 with roofrails would fit in my Garage and wasn't what I was looking for nice as they are

Thanks
Old 02-04-2006, 11:31 PM
New Members

My Ride: 520d M-Sport
Model Year: 2013

After the superb foot mounting system used on the e39, I am very frustrated by BMWs reversion to a "let's damage the roof" clamp system on the e60.

I initially checked Thule's website and couldn't find what I was looking for - a foot mounting system for the e60. I then called in at my BMW dealer and spoke to the sales guy - "oh yes, it's the same setup as the old-5, let's go and look at the demonstrator I'm running". He then proceded to try and prise open the retaining flaps that didn't exist - "oh, it must be a clamp version then"!!! What a retrograde step

I like your idea of adding a protective layer - I have a little 3M film lyeing around so I think a few small squares would help. It also makes me think the Thule rack would make more sense than the OE bars - I had issues over fitting my Thule box to my e39 OE bars - the BMW rails are horrendously deep in section. The price differential doesn't help either
Old 02-05-2006, 01:34 AM
Members

I had a A4 Avant on order that I rejected when it arrived hence I got the E60 the Avant of course had roofbars. The 1 and 3 Series both have a foot mount system. Yesterday I considered going back to an Avant but the E60 is such a nice car in may other ways that I don't want to change it just for the roofrack though it is an important function of the car for me, and I didn't expect the system to damage it.

That said the "patches" I made were 8.5mm x 11.5mm front and back and seem to do the job. On the back I did a straight edge that is visable and a angled it in the door area to compensate for the car's shape. Just looked this morning and it looks good. Once it's full cured I'll give them a wax and the job will be complete. Then I'll see how that works. Don't have a plan C though.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Forge197 - would you be so kind as to post some pics when you can please? I will need to get some new E60 feet for my e39 Thule rack so that I can take the bikes on holiday in the Summer. I'd be really intersted to see how the protection looks as well as how the rack looks when it's on the car.

Thanks in anticipation
Old 02-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Members

Yes I can do that it will be at the weekend though when I next get a chance and it's daylight as that will show them best.

I haven't seen them in daylight yet as I put them on in the garage and haven't used the car today as the adhesive cured and tonight I waxed them so tomorrow it will be interesting if they standout like a sore thumb Other than the only clean part of my car right now is where the patches are so the eye will be drawn
Old 02-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Contributors

I have the BMW roof rack, it works fine. I don't leave it on, I put it on for snowboard/skis & surfboard. I don't have any damage to my paint.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by juan2mini' post='235690' date='Feb 6 2006, 06:34 PM
I have the BMW roof rack, it works fine. I don't leave it on, I put it on for snowboard/skis & surfboard. I don't have any damage to my paint.
Same to me, works fine, original BMW, good quality
Old 02-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by forge197' post='235050' date='Feb 5 2006, 08:19 AM
Hi All,

I have a Thule roof rack for my E60 and use it to carry Mountain Bikes on a weekly basis. After the first use I noticed light abbrasion to the clear coat finish basically on the edge so not visible unless door is open. So I tried a soft cloth under the clamps and that didn't help so I have just made some patchs from the plastic stuff to protect from stone chops on the front of the car, I'll let you know how it goes.

Does any one else use a roofrack on the E60 and has it caused any damage or have I just been unlucky. I didn't buy the BMW roof rack as I have always used Thule and to date never had any issue's.

As an aside an E61 with roofrails would fit in my Garage and wasn't what I was looking for nice as they are

Thanks
Hi Forge, Yes I have the same issue. Thule rack for MTB on weekly basis, and now have four dull patches. I have put a towbar on the back and now mount my Turner from a towbar mounted rack. This means no part of my bike touches the car. I can also still open the boot. The rack is good for 3 bike to Morzine at high speeds !!!.

Regards

Jon
Old 02-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

Originally Posted by beano' post='235693
Same to me, works fine, original BMW, good quality
[/quote]

Yep, same here, used the Thule on my old 3er, but now use the factory rack... I love it... and more importantly, no damage to the painted surfaces.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Members

Suspect I should have bought the BMW one's anyone able to take a picture of the bmw roofrack feet would like to see how different it is and tell me what it made of. Towbar is an option though seems a cool idea as it would stop the roof getting muddy

Thanks for the feedback the Thule racks are usually good quality and the accessories like the bike holders are excellent.

Quick Reply: Roofrack Observation