5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/)
-   -   Roof spoiler has horrible fitment... (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/roof-spoiler-has-horrible-fitment-97455/)

TakmaN 04-20-2010 09:44 PM

I have a roof spoiler (cheapy ACS knockoff) and it lines up fine on the sides but it's too curvy and the middle and sides are nowhere near sitting on the rear windshield. There is a clear almost 1'' gap in the middle so the only way to attach it would be the two outermost sides which obviously won't hold. Can I just let it sit out in the sun and put weights on it to make it flatter? It's shaped like a rainbow, argh! Or does anyone else know of any ways to "warp" it back into shape so I can install it?

Howitzer 04-20-2010 09:48 PM

Take it to a body shop that can heat it up to mold it to the window and then apply some serious weights to it overnight for a perfect fit. It can be done.

John@Motorcepts 04-20-2010 09:52 PM

can u post some pix?

U can try a heat gun or such and some super 3M tape and rest a few useless textbooks on it. Good luck. I would contact the seller for $ back or a replacement.

TakmaN 04-20-2010 10:01 PM

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I am trying to do budget modding so I was hoping to avoid the body shop but it looks like that would be my best option at this point.

And I got the spoiler for free so no harm no foul :).

John@Motorcepts 04-20-2010 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by TakmaN (Post 1157243)
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I am trying to do budget modding so I was hoping to avoid the body shop but it looks like that would be my best option at this point.

And I got the spoiler for free so no harm no foul :).

EXCELLENT! Free is awlays good. Post some pix. It allows us to help you MUCH better. When I had a roof spoiler, I had half an inch of rainbow shape. Or mebbe close to one inch. All I did was wipe down with alcohol, use the RED 3M double side tape, start with one side, peel the 3M tape off on one side and slowly move towards the other side. U gotta push it down while moving. then I used half a roll of 3M tape and while it's parked, I put a few textbooks on it. It sat pretty flush.

TakmaN 04-20-2010 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg (Post 1157248)
EXCELLENT! Free is awlays good. Post some pix. It allows us to help you MUCH better. When I had a roof spoiler, I had half an inch of rainbow shape. Or mebbe close to one inch. All I did was wipe down with alcohol, use the RED 3M double side tape, start with one side, peel the 3M tape off on one side and slowly move towards the other side. U gotta push it down while moving. then I used half a roll of 3M tape and while it's parked, I put a few textbooks on it. It sat pretty flush.

Nice thanks! I'll try to take pictures tomorrow. What kind of 3M tape did you use and where did you buy it? I heard the 3M very high bond tape is good but I see like 10 different kinds online and have no clue which are sufficient for car spoilers.

John@Motorcepts 04-20-2010 10:20 PM

the stickiest and most expensive one.

3M? VHB? Heavy Duty Mounting Tape 5952

It's so hard to find. They used to sell it at Home Depot but i guess they stopped carrying it. Just buy the heavy duty outdoor one and ur good. Dont buy the white one.

TakmaN 04-20-2010 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg (Post 1157256)
the stickiest and most expensive one.

3M? VHB? Heavy Duty Mounting Tape 5952

It's so hard to find. They used to sell it at Home Depot but i guess they stopped carrying it. Just buy the heavy duty outdoor one and ur good. Dont buy the white one.

Thanks again! I just ordered the 5952, funny it was the one I was looking at in my other IE window heh. Found a 30% off coupon to shop3m.com in case anyone needs any car related products buy it now!

cleung 04-21-2010 06:30 AM

My CF replica ACS roof spoiler didn't ahve the best fitment either, what worked for me was betalink from the dealer. It is crazy strong. I put the glue on the back of the spoiler and started at one side and taped the sh*t out of it and moved my way across to the other side heavily tapping all the way across. Let the glue set overnight and the thing is stuck on there good now went through a summer and a winter now and auto car wahses as well as manual car wash with no issues.

pjinca 04-21-2010 06:34 AM

Tak, I have rep roof/trunk spoilers too. For both you \should use a combo of silicone adhesive and 3M tape - DO NOT use just tape. And yes, you should weigh it down after heating it (perhaps a hair dryer?). Good luck bro :thumbsup: