E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

rims rubbed on the front shock

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i

if you read my previous topic: "2008 528i, will these wheels fit" posted early last week you know the aggravation i went with a reputable vendor (frequents this forum). basically they recommended an incorrect rim and tire package, which i discovered from research that i did here, and from other online forums and vendors. the vendor swore to me up and down, reassuring me that the rims would fit and the tire size they recommended was acceptable and that i had nothing to worry about. i insisted i did not want the setup they recommended. the only compromise THEY offered me was to send spacers and extended lugs at a "reduced cost" (which i specifically mentioned i did not want when i initially requested the order).

we went back and forth over email, and based on his continual reassurance and certainty, they even sent me pictures of these wheels on another customers 5series, i agreed to accept the order and even purchase the 15mm spacers which according the them would "make me happier".

the wheels came UPS early this afternoon, i accepted them and installed them on my car. WHEELS LOOK HOT, CAR LOOKS AMAZING!! i go shower (cause its 110 degrees here in NJ) so im not all sweaty in the car, and take my new wheels for a spin. I start the car, cut the wheel to the right (was parked in front of my garage), release the brake and hear a SCRUNCH sound, the car rolls ever so slightly forward and i hear it again SCRUUNCH. WTF!!!!! I back up the two revolutions (if the wheels even turned that much) into the parking spot. I get out look at the wheels, they look fine...what was it? I look close in the front rim and see a strip of metal hanging from the interior of rim!! i reach around the tire to feel the rim and what do i feel???!!! The rims all torn up!!!! the shock litteraly cut away a strip of metal from the rim!!!
:-( :-(

i cant believe this!! :-( i called the vendor he's going to see what they could do, waiting for them to call me back now :-(
Old 06-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Even after using the 15mm spacer? Sorry to hear that, hope you get some sort of resolution from the vendor... I think hi-number front offset such as ET35 & ET40 should be for an xi-model.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Reviewing over your initial thread about the M6 replica wheels, I can't see how 8.5" ET:35 wheels and 15mm spacers will cause any rubbing. Your offset with the spacers is 20mm and from what I gleaned you're not even lowered on aftermarket springs. Did you end up going with the WRONG tire sizes suggested by the vendor?

Just to give you some perspective, when I had my OEM 166 wheels their dimensions were 8.5" ET:12 and 9.5" ET:28. The tire size I used were 245/35/19 and 275/30/19. I was not happy with how the rear wheels were inset so I put 12mm on the rear thus changing the offset to ET:16. In addition, I was lowered on H&R Sport springs which lowered my car 1.4" (front) and 1.3" (rear). This was the perfect 19" setup. I never rubbed.

Your 19" setup is nowhere near aggressive as mine was, so what is going on? Something doesn't sound right.

EDIT: Okay, I re-read your post again. It's not rubbing but the shock ate the interior of the wheel. It's not looking good for you based on this wheel offset calculator from 1010tires.com. Even the 15mm spacers didn't help sufficiently clear the inside. You have 6mm less inner clearance than when you were stock. This most likely is the cause of your problem. It is clearly the fault of the vendor providing you with incorrect information. :thumbsdown:

rims rubbed on the front shock-offset.jpg
Old 06-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

im wondering if lugs are too long. How many turns by hand of the lugs do you get before they become tight?
Old 06-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Members

let me clarify. i ordered the wheels on their recommendation: rims 8.5x19 front, 9.5x19 rear, et35 front, et20 rear; tires 235/35 front, 265/30 rear. they shipped them to me and while they were in transit i discovered all this information about what the correct offset and tire size should be. so i emailed and argued with the vendor about the setup they recommended and that i did not want it, they insisted that the setup would fit and the tires were an acceptable size. at which point he even sent me pictures of this setup on another customers vehicle.

now as we are communicating back and forth on the email his compromise was to sell me 15mm spacers at a cheaper price to keep me "happy", all the meanwhile still insisting that initial setup would work.

so i receive the wheel package setup today, the spacers where only shipped out yesterday. the vendor insisted the setup would work without the spacers, the spacers would only make the rims look better on the car. so i tested it out and put them on the car (without the spacers cause they are still in shipment), and thats when the front rims were destroyed by the strut.

i spoke with the vendor, they are claiming now that it appears to be a manufactures defect...(not that they suggested to me the wrong size).
Old 06-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Members

sorry for the picture quality, pictures where taken with my cellular phones camera. it was the only thing i had on hand.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Senior Members

sorry to hear this happend to you man.... I would have recomended these i bought for my car off ebay from seller getyouwheels.
8.5" Front 9.5" Rear
Offset: ET38 Front ET40 or ET30 Rear

here's how they turned out on my previous car. hope they would work with you on returning.
Attached Thumbnails rims rubbed on the front shock-m6_19big1.jpg   rims rubbed on the front shock-m6_19big2.jpg   rims rubbed on the front shock-post_8557_1176086716_thumb.jpg  
Old 06-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by trboda6' post='440665' date='Jun 27 2007, 11:17 PM
sorry to hear this happend to you man.... I would have recomended these i bought for my car off ebay from seller getyouwheels.
8.5" Front 9.5" Rear
Offset: ET38 Front ET40 or ET30 Rear

here's how they turned out on my previous car. hope they would work with you on returning.
What's up? wanted to know if these are on a XI and what model?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by gillty' post='440650' date='Jun 27 2007, 10:47 PM
sorry for the picture quality, pictures where taken with my cellular phones camera. it was the only thing i had on hand.

Sorry to hear that, I know your pissed. :thumbsdown:
Old 06-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Members

2008 528i

Quick Reply: rims rubbed on the front shock