E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ride Comfort : Coilovers vs Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 06:30 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm planning on getting 20" wheels sometime in the future, but I would like an idea of what setup to budget for. I have a 530d msport so the stock sport suspension is already low, however I'm not sure if it will be low enough.

If I lower my car, the main priority will be ride quality. I currently have runflats on my 18" msport wheels, so I will be putting regular tyres on the 20s in an attempt to retain some comfort.(I'm aware that the lower tyre profile isn't going to help)
I also have to decide which will have a smoother ride; coilovers or springs(with stock shocks)? I have tried to research this, but I have heard alot of mixed reviews. I wouldn't say that the stock suspension is particulary smooth anyway, so would it be possible to lower the car without killing the ride?

It seems that the eibach pro-kit would be the way to go if I were to lower with springs, and KW 'street comfort' sound like an obvious choice of coilovers.

Firstly, does anyone have pics of an e60 msport with 20" wheels on stock suspension? It would also be good to hear any experience/opinions on different brands of coilover & spring setups.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

Hey buddy! I have a 2007 530i with stock sports suspension. I bough H&R springs a while ago but never installed them because I heard/read that replacing just the springs and not the shocks would cause premature wear on the shocks as well. I decided to sell my H&R and am going to buy some KSport coilovers from member acuteperformance. I think they are under $1000 and they have been reviewed by members on here also. It gives you the ability to change right hight and the stiffness also so that you can have it really soft or really stiff. I would say that the ride would be better on the coilovers. I have 20 inch miro time attacks on currently and once I have the coilovers I will put some spacers on as well. I already had my fenders rolled as well. Good luck with your choice and post some pictures once your done.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by houbmw
Hey buddy! I have a 2007 530i with stock sports suspension. I bough H&R springs a while ago but never installed them because I heard/read that replacing just the springs and not the shocks would cause premature wear on the shocks as well. I decided to sell my H&R and am going to buy some KSport coilovers from member acuteperformance. I think they are under $1000 and they have been reviewed by members on here also. It gives you the ability to change right hight and the stiffness also so that you can have it really soft or really stiff. I would say that the ride would be better on the coilovers. I have 20 inch miro time attacks on currently and once I have the coilovers I will put some spacers on as well. I already had my fenders rolled as well. Good luck with your choice and post some pictures once your done.
Thanks mate, do you have any pics of how it currently sits on 20s?
(would the Ksport coilovers be any more comfortable than KW?)
Old 06-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System

the only reason I picked the ksports over kw was MONEY. I think ksports are half or a third of the price of KW. I will post pics as soon as I take them in a few minutes.

EDIT: WILL PICK UP THE KSPORTS. PICTURES are of regular sports suspension with 20 inch miro time attacks. No spacers yet.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

Here are some teaser pics.Ride Comfort : Coilovers vs Springs-photo.jpgRide Comfort : Coilovers vs Springs-photo-6.jpgRide Comfort : Coilovers vs Springs-photo-5.jpgRide Comfort : Coilovers vs Springs-photo-4.jpgRide Comfort : Coilovers vs Springs-photo-3.jpgRide Comfort : Coilovers vs Springs-photo-2.jpg
Old 06-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Members

Nice!

The 20" wheels don't look too out of place on stock suspension to be honest, however a drop will be good.
I have just seen the price of the Ksports(I'm in the UK) and they are alot cheaper than KWs, I just hope the comfort is there.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmwfive
I'm planning on getting 20" wheels sometime in the future, but I would like an idea of what setup to budget for. I have a 530d msport so the stock sport suspension is already low, however I'm not sure if it will be low enough.

If I lower my car, the main priority will be ride quality. I currently have runflats on my 18" msport wheels, so I will be putting regular tyres on the 20s in an attempt to retain some comfort.(I'm aware that the lower tyre profile isn't going to help)
I also have to decide which will have a smoother ride; coilovers or springs(with stock shocks)? I have tried to research this, but I have heard alot of mixed reviews. I wouldn't say that the stock suspension is particulary smooth anyway, so would it be possible to lower the car without killing the ride?

It seems that the eibach pro-kit would be the way to go if I were to lower with springs, and KW 'street comfort' sound like an obvious choice of coilovers.

Firstly, does anyone have pics of an e60 msport with 20" wheels on stock suspension? It would also be good to hear any experience/opinions on different brands of coilover & spring setups.
he there bmwfive, i have the h&r sport springs with the koni yellow shocks for a month and i did love it, the ride was comfortable and little baby loves it too
like what the member above said the konis are pretty cool coz u can adjust the stiffness of the ride.. if you going with the 20's i suggest this will be a good route to go... anyhows, i'm putting on coils next weekend and let you know how it compares to my original set up
good luck buddy
Old 06-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jg525i
he there bmwfive, i have the h&r sport springs with the koni yellow shocks for a month and i did love it, the ride was comfortable and little baby loves it too
like what the member above said the konis are pretty cool coz u can adjust the stiffness of the ride.. if you going with the 20's i suggest this will be a good route to go... anyhows, i'm putting on coils next weekend and let you know how it compares to my original set up
good luck buddy
Sounds good, I look forward to hearing how it turns out.
Thanks!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

usually if most people eventually end up with coilovers ! good luck!
Old 06-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Members

Well I've just been reading some more positive comments on the ksports, so it sounds like these are probably the ones to go for. I will also need to factor in the cost of fitting.

I haven't even decided on my wheels yet but thinking maybe 20" m6 reps or 20" 172 spiders.
...I'm leaning towards the m6 wheels but as the spokes leave alot of 'open' space making the stock brakes visible, I'm worried that the car will be crying out for bigger brakes. (which would be an unnecessary & expensive mod for me as I don't track the car and only do mostly city driving)

Quick Reply: Ride Comfort : Coilovers vs Springs