E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RGB/TV module on E60

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 04:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i'd like this option as well. might be cool to get!
Old 09-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Members

anyone receive any reply from emailing the website ?
I haven't heard from Ventura Technology yet. I'm going to call them sometime this week. I'm instrested in their module since they have an pdf online, and it seems easy to install.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Senior Members

I'm adding myself to the list.
I will call the people from Ventura as well.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I talked to someone from freischaltmodul.de today and they confirmed what I allready thought:

The module T-5500 has a TV tuner included.
You don't need to have nav. The idrive monitor will be used as the TV screen and all BMW applications are running in the background. The module overrides the screen, so whatever you are currently displaying through idrive can not be seen any longer. Idrive thinks it's still displaying the infos on the screen, but in fact it isn't, since the screen is used by the T-5500 module.
With the T-5500 module you'll get a remote. When you switch the module on, the screen becomes the screen of the module, switching the module off via remote the idrive display is back on screen. On the remote you can select TV or the other input, on what you can run a DVD player or a playstation or whatever you want.
You are not using idrive to operate the module, since it's an external thing what has nothing to do with the idrive, nor with BMW.
The TV tuner can receive analog TV, no matter where you are (UK, Germany or USA), it is compatible with NTSC and PAL...

The T-5000 module does NOT have an integrated TV tuner!!!
By installing the T-5000 module you can only watch whatever you hook up to the module - a TV tuner (settop box), a DVD player or a playstation...

Both modules override the screen!

BTW, they are currently testing a module what allows using the BMW TV tuner (if you have this option) while the car is in motion!
This is now undergoing testiong and will be avaiulable soon. It needs to be installed, what means it's a piece of hardware you have to put behind the idrive screen! This is not a software thing, nor easy to undo.

NOTE:

Systems that enable the watching of movies, DVD's or TV, while the car is in motion, on the built-in (in-dash) monitor, are illegal in some countrys!!

You better check before installing such items if they are legal or not and what happens if they are illegal and you get caught...

I hope that helps a little...
Old 09-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Senior Members

the t-5500 sounds good to me ! but now i need to shop for dvd changer :'(? anyone has installed it?
Old 09-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Senior Members

Sounds like installing that piece of hardware behind the iDrive display console will probably void the warranty, right?

That might be something to consider before installing it, especially since some of us are getting dead pixels on our screens

Did you hear anything about that Iceman?
Old 09-14-2004, 09:26 PM
Senior Members

oh, i forgot to ask one more thing, do we have enough space behind the idrive screen to hide that thing ?
Old 09-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I don't think it voids the warranty, but that's one thing you have to check before doing it. OTH there is no harm this can do to the car.
It definately fits behind the screen, since they are succesfully testing it currently. But this is for the module what allows watching TV with the BMW TV tuner while the car is in motion. The T-5500 fits in the trunk!
Old 09-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Members

thanks very much iceman, info is much appreciated.

One last thing id like to know is about the aerial, how does that link in ?

Does it have its own ?

or link to the bmw somehow ?
Old 09-15-2004, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

i'm looking forward someone to install it and post some pics .

Quick Reply: RGB/TV module on E60