E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RFT or not RFT for winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

I am about to get a set of winter wheels/tires from tirerack.com for my 2005 545 sport. I am set on Dunlop M3s but cannot decide if I should get RFT version which will cost $108 more for a set of 4 tires. My 2005 545 sport came with RFT Bridgestones and I kind of like the no-flat-tire-ever idea. Since tirerack mounts and balances tires prior to delivery I will indirectly save about 60 more dollars on RFT tires compared to regular one. On the other hand I never got a flat during winter months on any of my cars and I've heard a lot of horror stories about summer RFT tires made by Dunlop. So what would you guys recommend? RFT or not RFT?
Old 11-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='196787' date='Nov 11 2005, 08:53 PM
I am about to get a set of winter wheels/tires from tirerack.com for my 2005 545 sport. I am set on Dunlop M3s but cannot decide if I should get RFT version which will cost $108 more for a set of 4 tires. My 2005 545 sport came with RFT Bridgestones and I kind of like the no-flat-tire-ever idea. Since tirerack mounts and balances tires prior to delivery I will indirectly save about 60 more dollars on RFT tires compared to regular one. On the other hand I never got a flat during winter months on any of my cars and I've heard a lot of horror stories about summer RFT tires made by Dunlop. So what would you guys recommend? RFT or not RFT?
Dear SergeyM,

Since you also live here upnorth I strongly recommend that you go for the best winter tires
money can buy and that, I'm afraid means non RF's.

The RF tires are not considered in this forum that hot, even in summer tires, me included.

The German carmagazine AMS tested some European non-spike winter tires.
You can read the results from this link:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/test_te..._2005.94711.htm
Go to the pics where you can see what tires where "Besonders empfehlenswert".
Go for one of those or spike tires!

There are some "real" winter tires developed for Nordic countires, and if you really worry go for
winter tires with spikes!

But since you are driving a V8 you need 17" 225/50 17" tires and all manufactures do not provide
winter tires with spikes in that dimension.

One more thing, forget about the money when you buy winter tires - what are you and your family worth!?

Cheers,
Riku
Old 11-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Members

Get the non runflats.

By the way, I ordered a set of winter tire/wheel package for my Audi a few years back, had them mounted and balanced by Tirerack. When I got them in and put them on, I have vibration like crazy. Took them to an authorized Tirerack installer and found out ALL the wheels were out of balance, I even paid extra to tirerack to have them pre balanced before shipping.

So, moral of the story, you might just want to have them balanced yourself when you get them. But as I said, go with the non run flats IMO.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:29 AM
Senior Members

I bought the RFT Dunlop Winter Sport M3 and did get a flat last year. Was able to drive to work, then the dealer the next day and get if fixed. Boston had a really harsh winter last year and the tires were great in the snow. I don't think you will have any problems with them in NJ.