E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Review: KW v2 and JIC/Cross Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The KW V3's on my 7 are set at the absolute highest, and I have heard a little noise out of them. I think its just happens sometimes on turns.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

That's because of how KW handles lowering. The spring isn't sitting nice and tight so the spring making those sounds.

Michael
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by Sam@sleekmotoring
The KW V3's on my 7 are set at the absolute highest, and I have heard a little noise out of them. I think its just happens sometimes on turns.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Senior Members

But hey, this is the only coilover available for the E65/E66. I guess I have to work with what I already have.

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
That's because of how KW handles lowering. The spring isn't sitting nice and tight so the spring making those sounds.

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 04-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Just got mines installed a couple of hours ago but im not quite feeling them. Its really bouncy and it set to the softest setting. My indy mechanic told me to give it a couple of days to see if i like them. For reference, this is the first car that i own that ive installed coilovers.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Former Vendor

He probably adjusted the height incorrectly. If you jack up the car, is the spring very loose? Are you able to move the spring up and down? If so, that's your problem.

The spring needs to sit snug when the car is jacked up. To adjust height, you turn the bottom ring loose and turn the entire strut down.

Michael
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by nelson29
Just got mines installed a couple of hours ago but im not quite feeling them. Its really bouncy and it set to the softest setting. My indy mechanic told me to give it a couple of days to see if i like them. For reference, this is the first car that i own that ive installed coilovers.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the advice, will look in that tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
He probably adjusted the height incorrectly. If you jack up the car, is the spring very loose? Are you able to move the spring up and down? If so, that's your problem.

The spring needs to sit snug when the car is jacked up. To adjust height, you turn the bottom ring loose and turn the entire strut down.

Michael
Acute Performance
Michael,

The car is at currently at the shop. the springs are adjusted correctly. Its not loose at all, its snug.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Former Vendor

Hmmm.. The ride definitely shouldn't be bouncy unless there is something wrong with the strut themselves. How did he adjust the ride height?

Michael

Originally Posted by nelson29
Michael,

The car is at currently at the shop. the springs are adjusted correctly. Its not loose at all, its snug.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

nelson, perhaps you should adjust the ride comfort to a bit stiffer setting, you did say it's at the softest setting correct?

I believe you have acuteperformances JIC's, the person you bought them from bought them from him....you should ask acuteperformance what setting he had the JIC's at when he had them and how the ride quality was...
Old 04-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
nelson, perhaps you should adjust the ride comfort to a bit stiffer setting, you did say it's at the softest setting correct?

I believe you have acuteperformances JIC's, the person you bought them from bought them from him....you should ask acuteperformance what setting he had the JIC's at when he had them and how the ride quality was...
Agreed. I've never had JICs so I don't know how adjustable they are (rebound & damper separate?). But if its on the softest setting then I would imagine any coilover on the softest setting would be somewhat bouncy since they aren't really built to be driven on that setting albeit it is an option. Coilovers are meant to stiffen up the suspension to prevent roll and enhance stability in turns. If you don't want a stiffer ride then you should go with something like KW Comforts or just something like Eibach springs and Koni shocks. But the general rule of thumb is you can't really get OEM ride and comfort with a lowered car. You can get close though.

Quick Reply: Review: KW v2 and JIC/Cross Coilovers